SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-14-2005, 05:00 PM

Imported Video Files problem

Ok, back with v2.0 of SageTV (which is what I got when I bought it almost a year ago), I was able to set a directory for the "Library Import Directories" setting in Detailed Setup - General. Then I could go to Imported Videos under DVD/Media and see all the videos that were in the directory I specified. And at the time I was doing this, it was a network mapped drive letter that I used.

I recently updated to v2.2.8 and now it won't show anything in my Imported Videos section. I've removed the directory, added a new one, tried going directly to the shared directory (\\<computername>\<shareddir>), etc. and I can't get it to work. I've done the "Refresh Media Library" option and it doesn't seem to change the situation. None of the files in the video directory changed, so its not that. And yes, the mapped drive does work as 1) I have it set to reconnect upon bootup and 2) I've checked it before running SageTV.

I'm just at a loss, because I kind of liked this feature, but now I can't use it. Any thoughts of what could be wrong?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Are you using SageTV in service mode? If so, services can't access mapped drives. If you are using UNC paths, you have to make sure the service logs in as a user w/a password & that the user has permission to access that network location.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:25 PM

I believe it is in service mode (runs as a service in windows).

As for accessing with UNC paths, it does use a username and password to get to the location, and the user does have permission to access it for reading.

Why would v2.2.8 change my ability to access a mapped network path? v2.0 was run as a service as well, and it worked with mapped network pathes. How would I change it from using service mode?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Just so we are talking about the same thing: mapped drives and UNC paths are not the same thing. It sounds like you've been using UNC paths all along, which can be used, obviously.

If your recently-installed v2.2.8 can't access the same network locations that the previos version could access, then perhaps you should check your firewall. For example: every time I upgrade SageTV, Zone Alarm notes that the exe is different & has to be told to allow network access... but at least it asks instead of just blocking the prorgam. I don't know if this applies to you, but it is something to check.

Using UNC paths, you shouldn't have to disable the service, but if you want to try that, see p. 14 in the v2.2 PDF manual in your SageTV directory.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:16 AM

Yeah I know. UNC is like \\computer\share, while mapped network drive would be giving the UNC a drive letter. Both require you to login with a username and password in my situation.

For v2.0 I had it using a mapped network drive. Of course, UNC worked on v2.0 as well, but I found it easier with a mapped network drive.

As for firewall, that computer doesn't have a software one since its behind a good hardware one. And the other computer with the shared video directory is behind the hardware firewall as well.

I'll check the method to disable the service and get back to you though. Thanks for all the help
Old 08-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CooLJoE
Yeah I know. UNC is like \\computer\share, while mapped network drive would be giving the UNC a drive letter. Both require you to login with a username and password in my situation.
Except that the SageTV service can't access a mapped drive at all, as I said above, so if it really is a mapped drive & you are using the service, that explains why it isn't working.

- Andy
Old 08-16-2005, 03:35 PM
Sage User

I occasionally have this problem, and my import directory is on the local hard drive. Sometimes all my videos will disappear, sometimes it will only be a single folder. I can't see any pattern to it.

My videos will show up in the list, but if I leave the library menu and return, it doesn't list anything in the library. The menu will usually refresh and contain the correct listings after several minutes. Restarting Sage seems to force a refresh as well. I can't say I'm thrilled with either of these workarounds.