SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Sage User

Need advice on second Hauppage Card

Hello everyone!

I currently have a PVR built from the following:

Athlon XP2400+
512MB PC3200
Nvidia 5200 with TV Out
SB LIve Value PCI Audio Card
30GB IDE (WinXP +GBPVR Software)
400GB IDE (storage for shows)
Hauppage 250 Retail w/Remote and IR Receiver
DVD+-R/+-RW Drive
DVDROM Drive
Input: Comcast Analog for now (but want to eventually record digital shows)

I got my HTPC feet wet with GBPVR, but I am planning on switching to SageTV so I can get more functionality and choices when recording. I now need the ability to record 2 shows at the same time so I to need to buy a second Hauppage card. What I am asking everyone here is which Hauppage card do they recommend me getting? Currently the pc is in my basement recording and I view shows off the monitor, but I plan on moving it into my living room and hook the TV out on my video card to my Sony 32" SDTV and audio card to my stereo. I then would like to do the following:

#1) Have ability to record 2 shows at the same time (of course!)

#2) Watch live TV from the PVR and have the Time Shifting ability like I used to have with my old TiVo PVR.

#3) Edit the shows I want to keep and burn them onto DVD without commercials.

#4) Have it control my Comcast STB so that I can also timeshift and record digital shows as well.

The last option (#4) isn't the highest priority for me because at the moment I do not watch many shows on digital channels, but I since I am going to spend more money on this HTPC, I want to plan for the ability to add this to my HTPC when I am ready to do so in the future. I was looking at the PVR150 Retail that comes with the IR/Blaster/Receiver and remote. I figured that this would help me out when I am ready for option #4, but then I have heard of there being problems using a PVR150 in conjunction with a PVR250-there are some conflicts with controlling the cards because of the remotes or something. So then I was thinking about just getting the 150MCE and forgoing #4 for now. Then when I am ready to do option #4 I would buy that USB-UIRT that I hear everyone talk about. Now I found out that the 150MCE doesn't do CC'ing. I really don't care about having closed captioning in my shows, but I have heard that there are ways to have it not record or "skip" the commercials but this relies on the CC'ing info in the capture. So as you can see I am really confused on what second capture card to buy. Can anyone can help me make the right decision in which one I should buy that will give me the best chances of sucess with options 1-4?
TIA,
D&C

PS-Sorry about the long post and if I missed giving any information, please let me know.
Thanks

Last edited by Dazed&confused; 08-08-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:19 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't know about conflicts between the 150's and 250's. I think quite a few people run both but I'm not certain. I'm sure someone else can clear that up for you.

Unless you really want CC then go with a 150, or you could get a 500 which has dual tuners. I'd also suggest going with the MCE version because you don't need the remote.

CC helps with the accuracy of comercial detection but isn't required, as a matter of fact the most accurate software (show analyzer) isn't even using CC yet and it's pretty darn accurate.

Comercial skipping doesn't stop the recording of comercials. The detection software creates a txt file that tells Sage where the comercials are so that they're skipped during playback. This has nothing to do with how the shows are recorded.

Last edited by blade; 08-08-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

The possible conflict between a 150 & 250 is that if the 150 is an mce version (has no remote), you may not be able to use the remote on the 250. Similarly, for the 150 w/a remote & IR blaster, you may not be able to use the 150's blaster if the Hauppauge IR software decides to latch onto the 250 instead. (Note: I haven't been following this to know whether this has ever been completely resolved.)

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Sage User

Guys;
thanks for your replies, and for explaining more about how the commercials are handled. What capture cards do you use in your systems? Do any of you have a similar setup to what I want to do? I guess I am still confused on what second capture card to get. Hopefully more people will post their thoughts on whether the 150 retail and 250 retail will work together or not in what I want to do...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Sage Icon

i recommend going with another 250. CC is and probably always will be the best way to detect commercials. you stated that you want to commercial detect your recordings, so it must be important to you.

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have 2 250's and a 150. they work fine together. The only annoying thing is that the volume on the 150 is a little higher than the 250's. I can always tell when a program has been recorded on the 150 because I have to lower the volume.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the replies. Well since I need a copy of SageTV I am thinking of going with the PVR150 card because pcalchemy.com sells it bundled with SageTV and they don't have any bundles with the 250 card. As much as it would be nice to skip the commercials when viewing, I guess I can just fastforward through them instead for now. I think I have read of others saying that there are other ways to do commercial detection besides using the CC in a capture. Maybe I can get one of those other ways to work. Now do I get the 150mce, or 150retail? hmm....
Old 08-10-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm pretty sure the MCE one does not come with a remote. If you have no need of the hauppauge remote, then get the MCE. I'm pretty sure that is the one I got. I have an Ahanix imon remote which works much better than the hauppauge remote.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:39 PM
SageTVaholic

As I have already stated once in this thread you do not need CC to do commercial detection. It does increase the accuracy, but none of the Sage related commercial detection software relies solely on CC to do it's detection. It's merely one of many things the detection software looks at when determining where in the recording commercials are located.

The setup and software used to detect commercials is going to be the same whether you use CC or not. Choosing a 150 instead of a 250 doesn't mean you're going to be unable to skip commercials or that you're going to have to find an alternative solution, it just means the commercial skipping may be a little less accurate.

Last edited by blade; 08-10-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:07 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFranch
I'm pretty sure the MCE one does not come with a remote. If you have no need of the hauppauge remote, then get the MCE. I'm pretty sure that is the one I got. I have an Ahanix imon remote which works much better than the hauppauge remote.
Yes that is correct. the 150MCE and the 500MCE do not come with a remote or any type of IR blaster or IR receiver. I already have a remote with my 250 card, but what I am wondering is if I go with the 150MCE or the 500MCE I should still be able to control SageTV with the remote and IR receiver from the 250 right? I just don't want to have to go out and buy a 3rd party remote when I already have one that came with the 250 card. Of course I realize that I will still have to get that USB-UIRT solution if I want to be able to control my digital STB and record those channels...

Last edited by Dazed&confused; 08-11-2005 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade
As I have already stated once in this thread you do not need CC to do commercial detection. It does increase the accuracy, but none of the Sage related commercial detection software relies solely on CC to do it's detection. It's merely one of many things the detection software looks at when determining where in the recording commercials are located.

The setup and software used to detect commercials is going to be the same whether you use CC or not. Choosing a 150 instead of a 250 doesn't mean you're going to be unable to skip commercials or that you're going to have to find an alternative solution, it just means the commercial skipping may be a little less accurate.
Blade-thanks for clearing that up.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Sage User

Here is a question I don't think I have asked yet. Does anyone use the IR Blaster that came with the 150 retail and if so can you tell us your thougts on it? How well does it work? How hard is it to get setup? Is it worth getting the 150 retail version for it or do most people use that USB-UIRT instead? I am trying to decide on whether to get the 150 retail or the MCE version and forgo getting the IR blaster. Sorry about the continued posts-I just want to check all my options before I plop some more $$$ down on another capture card.
Thanks for your continued help!
Old 08-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&confused
Hauppage 250 Retail w/Remote and IR Receiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The possible conflict between a 150 & 250 is that if the 150 is an mce version (has no remote), you may not be able to use the remote on the 250. Similarly, for the 150 w/a remote & IR blaster, you may not be able to use the 150's blaster if the Hauppauge IR software decides to latch onto the 250 instead. (Note: I haven't been following this to know whether this has ever been completely resolved.)
- Andy
It looks like your thoughts on using a MCE remote could lead to trouble if the problem Andy mentioned has not been resolved. It would really stink if you couldn't use your existing remote just because you went with a MCE card. I suggest sticking with retail.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:46 AM
Sage User

well the problem is that I cannot find specific information about these 'possible" conflicts other than people mentioning that there might be problems. Plus Andy mentions that there may be problems no matter which way you go in terms of retail and MCE. Dfranch states he uses two 250's and a 150 and he has no problems. Dfranch-are all of these cards retail? What remote are u using to control your HTPC-are you using one of the hauppage 250 remotes? Right now I am thinking I am going to go with Blade's suggestion of getting a 150mce or 500mce. It sounds like I will still be able to control the system with the remote from my 250 card. I will just forgo trying to control STB and record digital channels for now. When I am ready for that I will get that usb-uirt device and go from there. I don't mean to be impatient, but I have to have something with 2 capture cards ready to go by the end of August because otherwise I will have recording conflicts with some shows that are on at the same time. I just wish some more of this was a little clearer...I will continue to check back to see if anone else can shed a little more light on my situation and also to see what dfranch says about my questions above.
As always thanks again for everyone's continued advice and support!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I said there are 'possible' remote problems becaus not everyone runs into it. Those that do, however, don't really have a good easy solution. Here is a discussion about it. Maybe I'll ask Hauppauge about it again to get an update.

I still suggest getting the retail 150 unless you want to play remote roulette or need the dual tuner 500. You could always get a USB-UIRT and not worry about it -- that's the only sure solution that I'm aware of.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I said there are 'possible' remote problems becaus not everyone runs into it. Those that do, however, don't really have a good easy solution. Here is a discussion about it. Maybe I'll ask Hauppauge about it again to get an update.

I still suggest getting the retail 150 unless you want to play remote roulette or need the dual tuner 500. You could always get a USB-UIRT and not worry about it -- that's the only sure solution that I'm aware of.

- Andy
Andy;
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I was on vacation-sucks having to go back to work now. Anyways, I have decided to forgo trying to control the STB at this time. There really is only one show that I watch that is on a digital channel and I have decided that at this time it is not worth the trouble. so now I am thinking now of getting the 500 card so I can record 2 analog shows at the same time and still allow be able to watch live analog tv on the 3rd tuner. My question is will I be able to control the system through SageTV with my remote from my retail 250 card?
Thanks,
D&C
Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&confused
... now I am thinking now of getting the 500 card so I can record 2 analog shows at the same time and still allow be able to watch live analog tv on the 3rd tuner. My question is will I be able to control the system through SageTV with my remote from my retail 250 card?
I don't know. Hauppauge said nothing has changed, so what I said above is still true: some people have problems; some do not.

- Andy
Old 08-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Sage User

Ok-I understand. How about this, hypothetically speaking lets assume the worst case senario-I get the 500 card and the the 250 remote doesn't work-what would be my options then for controlling the sageTV system with a remote? Is there a remote that will work with work with the 250, 500 and SageTV that you would recommend? I see a lot of talk about a remote called firefly. Another question, does this USB-UIRT that you mention come with a remote or is it strictly just a IR blaster device that controls STB's?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Which remote is best could (and has) fill several pages of forum posts. There is a link to at least one of those discussions in this index, but there are other threads too.

The USB-UIRT is a receiver/transmitter -- it does not come with a remote; you supply just about any IR remote that you want to use.

- Andy
Old 08-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Sage User

Wow-didn't see that thread. My bad. Ok-I think I will just give the 500 a try and see what happens. Thanks again Andy for all of your help along with everyone else who contributed to this thread. I will post back and let everyone know what the result was...
TTFN

D&C