SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:50 AM
Sage User

Remote + UIRT question (n00b)

Can i get the USB-UIRT and a remote handset only? The remotes including base station are expensive, but remotes only are cheap on eBay.

I want Sage to be able to control my Freeview set top box (UK).

So can the UIRT act as the base station for any remote? certain remotes? no remotes?

(delete as applicable)

I have a budget of £50
Old 07-27-2005, 06:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Any IR remote.

I've messed around with quite a few trying to find the nicest one, and I keep switching back and forth at the moment between the Microsoft Media Center 2005 remote and the Sky+ Extended keyboard remote.

If you have the patience to teach Girder about all the buttons on the Sky+ keyboard remote it's absolutely fantastic. It works like a proper keyboard, sending different IR commands when you hold down shift, etc.

The only problem you might have with the UIRT is that it can't send and receive at the same time, so if you are pressing a button as Sage is trying to use the UIRT to change channel you might have problems.

I get around this by having a dedicated Redeye sender just for changing channels.

Nick.
HW: Silverstone LC03 case, NFS7-V2 motherboard, Athlon XP2600+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, WinTV PVR-350 (Encoding Only), XCard (Decoding) XFX GeForce FX5200, USB-UIRT, MS MCE Remote, RGB-Svid converter for input
SW: Sage 2.2, Girder, MBM, XML-RT, a bunch of custom scripts and programs.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Sage User

When you say any IR remote, do you mean ordinary ones that are supplied with TVs, etc could be used?

Another thing, how do you know which remotes need the extra 56khz sensor?

I'm assuming the reason for the optional extra sensor is because some remotes send at this frequency
Old 07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

I use a comcast digital cable box remote to control sagetv on my box. I have used the rca remote that came with my tv but the comcast one has more appropriate buttons.

Most satellite cable box remotes have the 56khz transmitter. It's not whether you need a 56khz equipped remote, its better to ask if you need the 56khz equipped usb-uirt... You can can use the 56khz usb-uirt with most IR remotes whether 56khz or not, AFAIK. And if you don't ever plan on having satellite, its almost safe to say you can go with the non-56khz usb-uirt... I say almost because you never know when other remotes will hit the market with the 56khz built in (then your non usb-uirt would be useless with these new remotes)

One type of remote that you cannot use with the usb-uirt is an RF remote (I think one is is called the Firefly)
Future plans: 1 more HVR2250, 1 Ceton CC 4-way tuner, 10TB diskspace
Issues: 1 PVR250 not working, system board?

Last edited by reboot_this; 07-27-2005 at 11:19 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Yes Darth, most ordinary remotes will work. It's just about finding one that has all the buttons that you want and feels good.

The only time you get any problems are when people try to make their remotes too smart (for example changing the period at which volume change commands are sent depending on how long you hold down the button), but these are pretty rare. Manufacturers generally tend to try to make their remotes dumb and their devices smart - which is good news for the Girder user).

As reboot_this says, you do need to at least make sure that it's an Infra-Red remote.

Given the price difference between the UIRTs with and without the 56K add on ($5) it's probably just as well getting it just to be on the safe side and be future proof.

Peace of mind for just 5 dollars... I sound like an insurance salesman

Nick.
HW: Silverstone LC03 case, NFS7-V2 motherboard, Athlon XP2600+, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD, WinTV PVR-350 (Encoding Only), XCard (Decoding) XFX GeForce FX5200, USB-UIRT, MS MCE Remote, RGB-Svid converter for input
SW: Sage 2.2, Girder, MBM, XML-RT, a bunch of custom scripts and programs.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Sage User

Yes I probably will get the 56khz one, because I can see me getting satellite at some time.