SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Sage User

Moving SageTV Client license to a new machine

I'm replacing my current SageTV Client machine with a new computer. Are there any special steps required to move my SageTV Client license to the new machine, or do I simply install SageTV Client on the new machine, and enter my existing product key when prompted?

Thanks,

-Kevin
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Sage Icon

You got it.

Make sure to uninstall your old license.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Administrator

If the old computer will still be in use, then technically you should use the REGISTER command line parameter on the old one to clear out its license.

If the new system uses a different IP address, you'll have to restart SageTV on the server before the new client will be able to connect, since the server will think the license is for the old system until then.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:53 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
You got it.

Make sure to uninstall your old license.
I'm having troubles with this... I'm in the same boat, moving from one PC to another, so I tried to de-register the client on the old pc...

From the FAQ thread:
--

Q: Is there a way to re-enter a license on a computer, or to remove one that was already entered?

A: Yes; use the REGISTER command line parameter.

After using this parameter, you can either enter a new license to set the one for that computer, or you can leave it blank to remove the license so that it can be used on a different PC. After changing any license keys for any Clients, restart the server so that it will refresh which licenses it will allow to connect.
--

But when I do this, I get the prompt, I try to leave it blank but get the message that I need to enter SOMETHING. I have to say "Cancel" to close the dialog, and of course then the client isn't registered.

Help?

Rob
Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell
But when I do this, I get the prompt, I try to leave it blank but get the message that I need to enter SOMETHING. I have to say "Cancel" to close the dialog, and of course then the client isn't registered.
Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't that what you are trying to do: get the client to not be registered? If it is no longer registered after hitting Cancel, I'm not sure what the issue is.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:38 AM
SageTVaholic

You may need to make sure you restart Sage server to make sure it recognizes the change on the client.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am trying to install my sage client license on a different machine than it originally was - the old one is going into a pile and being shamelessly replaced with a shiny new model.

Cancelling the registration prompt on the old machine had the effect of making no change whatsoever - trying to run sage client on the new one resulted in the same message, to wit: "You can't do that, you're already using that license."

And if using the service control to stop and start the server counts, then I did that.

This is using 4.1.3 btw - I haven't tried updating to 5 yet...
Old 06-16-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator

I thought using the REGISTER parameter on a client PC would automatically clear out the license on that client's PC.

For now, just stop using SageTVClient on the old system -- exit it completely & don't let it run at all. Then, stop & restart the service on your server. Finally, you should then be able to use the client license on the new PC. Once you do that sequence, the old one won't be able to connect any more anyway.

Edit: Do you have another client that you are keeping & are accidentally using that key for the new client?

- Andy
Old 06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi, andy -

I only have one client, period. It occurred to me this evening that it's a little weird that the new pc isn't even asking for the registration info - I am going to try the REGISTER param on the new pc and enter the info there.

I'm sure there's an easy solution...

Thanks for your input!
Rob
Old 06-16-2006, 08:06 PM

Close SageTV Client on the old system then Restart SageTV Server then do a simply install of SageTV Client on your new system then enter you existing SageTV Client product key when prompted on the new system that all that need be done.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

Ya know, SHS, I thought that was exactly what I'd done,which is why I was so perplexed.

In any case, I have it working - using the REGISTER cmd on the new box forced its hand, and all is well.

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Rob