SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Sage User

Question Wireless network encoding

SageTV gurus-

I am trying to accomplish something and feel like I'm close, but I just found out from Frey Support that it won't work the way I was envisioning. I thought I'd throw it out there for recommendations.

I currently have a Dimension 4600 with two PVR250's in my den and am using AVCAST to view Sage in my living room. I would like to get rid of AVCast and put a Shuttle PC I've been building with a PVR150 in the living room. I was planning on moving my SageTV license to the Shuttle and get SageRecorder for the 4600 to act as a network encoder with the pair of 250's.

The problem is that I have to use 802.11g. I can't drill holes in walls, etc to run a network cable between my den and living room. I was hoping I could setup each PC to store videos recorded by that PCs tuners locally and then only send the MPEG2s over the net when someone wanted to watch something stored on the other PC.

My understanding is that SageRecorder would need to store video on the SageTV box. Trying to send the output of a pair of 250's via 802.11g won't work.

One solution I thought of is putting all three tuners in the 4600 and running Sage Client on the Shuttle - however, I want the 150 to control a cable box while the two 250's run analog. I suppose I could get a second cable box, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mitch
Old 07-05-2005, 04:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Why not put all of the cards (2 250s and 1 150) into the bigger machine with SageTV and use SageClient on the smaller one? I don't think you need an extra cable box if there's only one card that you plan to use a cable box with.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Sage User

Cable box in other room

The only problem with that idea is that the single cable box is in the living room. The Dimension 4600 could handle all three tuners, but I don't want to have it in the living room because of the noise - dramatically lower WAF right there. The Shuttle is nice and quiet but has only one PCI slot.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Sage Expert

shuttle box + quiet isn't normal ... Zen perhaps?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:41 AM
Sage Expert

If you go with Dlink's 802.11g super-g that works for broacastaing video with no problems. I have a combo of DWL-2100AP and DWL-G520. Worked fine for many months with a Sage server and sage client. Not one stutter or network time out/connectivity problem. Of course, the AP and NIC are within line of sight to each other and the AP is hardwired to my primary router.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:19 AM
SageTVaholic

I guess moving the cable box to the other room is out of the question? In our home, the only cable box sits in the study on top of the SageTV server. This is only possible if you don't require non-SageTV-based access to digital-tier cable channels in the living room, though.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:10 PM
Sage User

Moving the cable box

Unfortunately, moving the box at this point isn't going to work. I suppose spending $4.99 a month for an extra cable box isn't that big of a deal. I just hoped to avoid it. Probably the simplest solution...

Thanks.