SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Audio from both SPDIF and analog

I am building a HTPC for my livingroom. I want the ability to hookup both my L/R analog to my TV and the SPDIF to my receiver. There are a lot of times that I want to watch DVD's late at night without my receiver, but also have the ability to watch a DVD thru my receiver. Is there a soundcard that will output sound thru both devices concurrently? This way, when I only want sound thru my TV, my receiver is off. If I want sound from my stereo, I only have to turn it on and mute my TV.

HELP. This is necessary for my WF (Wife Factor).
Old 07-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

both my sounds cards do this by default, so I'm betting most do it, so you should be just fine...I have a chaintech av-710 (via envy24 chip, optical out), and an older av-510 (also chaintech I believe, CMI8738 chip with RCA spdif out). If using multichannel analog outs, the spdif needs to be disabled on both my cards I believe.

EDIT:
I forgot that you're still going to have to switch from ac3 5.1 passthru to the stereo track probably in the DVD menu, or something like that. I actualy only use it with pcm, so both at same time works, but when you passthru ac3/dts, I don't think it will work directly...but it should, somehow???

Last edited by ben_95sl1; 07-04-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Sage Expert

My sound card will not do what you say. I use the built in SoundMaxx device on my motherboard (same on two machines).

So...what I use for DVD audio decoding is AC3Filter, which will decode AC3 to a number of different formats (you use it just like any other audio decoder). Now all AC3 audio out of the normal speaker port is decoded to stereo and directed to the TV inputs, whereas AC3 from the S/PDIF port remains AC3 and directed to the A/V receiver.

Works pretty good, although I had to play with the audio levels in AC3Filter before I could even hear anything, and once in a while, I hear a little clipping. Probably I just don't knwo how to use it right.

AC3Filter is freeware BTW, and easily found on the 'Net.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_95sl1
both my sounds cards do this by default, so I'm betting most do it,
Not necessarilly, it probably depends on what you're playing. For normal PCM audio, it's probably relatively common, but for Dolby Digital, it's much less so. The problem is that, AFIAK, most decoders will only output passthrough, or decoded audio, but not both. I know that answer doesn't help much...
Old 07-04-2005, 04:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

yeah, I forgot he said dvd.....doh....but it should be easily possible.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Sage Expert

depending on how much you wish to spend, ASUS MB with 7.1 channel out can and do both simultanuously and very well.

My MB has both Coax an SPDIF out as well as RCA out for anolog.

My tv gets the anolog and the SPDIF goes to my reciever for DD6.1

People can say what they will about on board sound, It was cheaper, freed up a slot, produced less heat than a card does and sounds great. DIGITAL is digital, I can't hear the difference of STAR WARS on my SAGE BOX or out of my SONY ES CHANGER.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Sage User

I use the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi. That outputs to coax, optical, and RCA all at once. I do exactly as you want - optical to the receiver and RCA to the TV.
http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm
Old 07-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerkit
I use the Xitel Pro Hi-Fi. That outputs to coax, optical, and RCA all at once. I do exactly as you want - optical to the receiver and RCA to the TV.
http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm
I suppose thats an option if your already invested in hardware, but at $99 it seem a bit steep, considering my MB cost only $130 and can do it right from the back panel, requires no external power or extra space to mount yet another "black box" in my HT.

I think the smartest and cheapest is integrated sound. This also frees up a PCI slot for an extra TUNER CARD!
Old 07-12-2005, 10:19 PM
SageTV Co-Founder

Does anyone know how to enable SPDIF Out on an ECS KT600-A motherboard? I've connected a third party bracket to the SPDIF Out header on the motherboard but I'm not getting any sound. What's the best way to troubleshoot this connection?

Thanks, Dan
Old 07-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

have you cheked your windows volume control/advanced/playback section to see if your spdif is enabled? It usually isnt by default.

I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkardatzke
Does anyone know how to enable SPDIF Out on an ECS KT600-A motherboard? I've connected a third party bracket to the SPDIF Out header on the motherboard but I'm not getting any sound. What's the best way to troubleshoot this connection?

Thanks, Dan

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.