SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Sage User

Multi-Tuner Setup

I'm just starting out on my HTPC journey and I'm considering Sage as my front end.

What I'm envisioning is running Sage on my primary server box with four tuners (2 500s) recording from four Dishnetwork boxes, but I will be distributing the video to six televisions. My original thought was to use 2 client pcs running the sage client software, and four Media MVPs running the Sage client plug in. But I don't understand where the software actually lives for the Media MVPs. Do I install them on the main box (4 clients)?

When viewing Live TV, how does the Media MVP or either of the two PC based clients know which satellite box to use for viewing?

And this may not be appropriate for this forum, but do I have run Windows Server 2003 for this purpose, or will Windows XP pro work fine on my main box?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 06-26-2005, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayslearnin
What I'm envisioning is running Sage on my primary server box with four tuners (2 500s) recording from four Dishnetwork boxes
You may need to look into how you will connect 2 pvr-500s to 4 boxes; something like this might be needed: Additional input connector for PVR-500 (case slot bracket)

Quote:
My original thought was to use 2 client pcs running the sage client software, and four Media MVPs running the Sage client plug in. But I don't understand where the software actually lives for the Media MVPs. Do I install them on the main box (4 clients)?
The MVP software runs off a client & you can run multiple MVPs from one PC; see MVP Client

Quote:
When viewing Live TV, how does the Media MVP or either of the two PC based clients know which satellite box to use for viewing?
SageTV (server) controls that; it will use whatever one is available, or you could watch what another one is watchig if all are in use. Of course, it is easiest just to watch already-recorded shows.

Quote:
And this may not be appropriate for this forum, but do I have run Windows Server 2003 for this purpose, or will Windows XP pro work fine on my main box?
SageTV runs just fine on XP Pro. Maybe someone else can mention if there is an advantage to using 2003 in your situation.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.