SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Sage Icon

HDTV Plasma success story

As indicated a couple week ago I bought a 6600GT (see http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11602) - only to find out that it might not be that easy to find a big enough psu for my HTPC - which is based on the EA65 from Aopen. I returned the video card and got a Radeon 9550 instead.

I put the card in - and about 20 minutes later I felt that I did the right thing. I don't even see any need to upgrade to the latest catalyst drivers. The drivers from the CD (6458) are just fine.

The Cyberlink decoder from ATI produces quite a bit of tearing. My old NVidia decoder does not.

I use a DVI/HDMI cable to connect to the Plasma. The ATI drivers correctly discovers brand and capabilities. So, all I had to do was set desktop resolution and a little bit of overscan adjustment in Sage.

Switching back and forth between the DCT6412 and my HTPC (using DVD Standard Play) while watching HBO, I can't see any significant differences which does not mean there's no room for improvement. Since I have been traveling a lot lately, I haven't even opened the Plasma manual yet, nor did I make any adjustments on the ATI side. Still, it's very much usuable now.

FYI: I'm not talking about HDTV recordings made by Sage, of course. For that, I use my DCT6412.

Last edited by flavius; 06-18-2005 at 11:41 PM.