SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 06-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Sage Expert

Way off topic KVM question

Hi Guys/Gals

This is way off topic, but I thought that someone here would know the answer.

I have a mac and a PC, with a USB keyboard and mouse and one monitor (the mouse can plug into the keyboard - Its not a 'mac' mouse/keybourd though, it's PC).

I wondered if a normal USB KVM switcher ( Like this )would work in switching between the mac and the PC?

Any thoughts - comments are welcome as always

Cheers
Old 06-06-2005, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
I have this setup in my office (though I am happily mac free) and it works great. I have a 4-port USB KVM and it switches between my server, gaming pc, work laptop and linux sandbox.
One thing I dislike is that my keyboard has the 'F-lock' button. It toggles the function row buttons between regular and macro'd buttons. When switching between computers, the lock gets lost so I have to remember to press the F-lock button to regain them.
Otherwise, it's awesome.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks for the info!

It is actually the Mac/PC compatibility that is the important bit for me. I have used KVM's with PC's plenty of times - I'm just not sure if a KVM will work with a mac and PC.

There is not much info out there about PC/Mac switching.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
I don't see how it wouldn't be compatible. The KVM is just a dumb hub with a selector button. The input from the keyboard and mouse gets routed to the computer you have selected. I would think that if your keyboard & mouse work on both machine types independantly, it will work with the KVM.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

If you get a USB KVM, it should work. I picked up a used Mac to learn on and it works just fine with my Belkin 4-port USB/PS2 KVM. Mine uses a PS2 keyboard and mouse and can be used with either a PS2 or USB cable to operate the computer. Most of the name brand KVM's I looked at listed Mac compatabililty.

The only problem I ran into is that the KVM emulates a standard keyboard and it does not passthrough all the features of my Microsoft Office keyboard. I had a similar problem with other KVMs though. Some would work 100% if the KVM was switched to the computer when it was booted, then all the keystrokes worked. If the computer rebooted while the KVM was switched to a different computer, then only the "default" keystrokes worked.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

I have ps/2 KVMs hooked to my macs and PCs at home and work. I just put a USB->PS/2 converter on the macs and I'm using my PS/2 keyboard and mouse with the mac.

Re: mac/PC switching, All macs have USB ports (no ps/2). Most PCs have USB and PS/2 ports. Some PC's have problems with USB keyboards not being recognised on bootup and the inability to access the BIOS.
Mac towers usually have a limited number of USB ports to plug devices into. Mac keyboards have a built in 2 port USB hub where you can plug your USB mouse and jumpdrive to. Leaving one USB port on the back of the tower for your USB printer.
Most PC USB accessories do not have built-in hubs so you can quickly run out of USB ports. You will probably need to purchase a USB hub. The Mac mini only has two USB ports-one for your USB KB, one for the USB mouse, leaves none to plug your USB printer or jump drive into. Key maping is different on PC keyboards than on the mac keyboards. "windows" key = "Apple" key. "Alt" key = "option" key.

Last edited by Menehune; 06-06-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

You may want to check out VNC. No additional hardware/cabling is needed, just a TCP/IP connection. And the VNC software of course. There are many different flavors of VNC. I did a quick google for "mac vnc" and got a few hits. I have no experience with using it on a mac though. I would have to think that if you are using OS X, you should be able to find one that will work for you.

I have 3 machines currently "connected" in this method and have had no problems. I can check on my server box in the basement from the comfort of my easy chair in the living room.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks for all the info guys.
It's actually an installation for a client of mine and they simply want to flick from Mac to PC.
I think I'm just going to get a standard USB KVM as it sounds like it should work fine.

Cheers again