SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:33 PM
Sage User

Commercial Skip with sageclient

Hey is it possible to get Commercial skip to work with SagetvClient because I have it working on my sage but when i try to watch something through it with sagetvclient. Then i think its because i don't have the commercial skip installed on the sagetvclient so i did that and i have it up and running but i still cant get the commercial skip to work with the client version!! lol so yeah is ther a way to work with sagetvclient.

Thanks,
Shibb Master

P.S. I am using sagetv and sageclient 2.2.8.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Sage Icon

The easiest way to get it to work is to map the media drives on your server to the exact same drive letters on your client.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 PM
Sage User

You lost me at map the media drives...lol if you have the time do you think you could explain how i would do that...I kinda understand what you mean like to make sageclient use exact file as sage is i think lol

Thanks,
Shibb Master
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM
SageTVaholic

First you need to use an STV that is able to use comskip, since you're running it on the server I assume you know this.

The other thing is the SageClient must see the recordings and comskip files at the same location as the server does. For example if the SageServer sees the recordings in D:recordings the client box must also be able to access those files at D:recordings. So you'll want to map the drive on the SageServer to your SageClient so that the client sees the files through the same path as the server.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Sage Icon

Ok, your server records all your shows to drives. One could call those drives your 'media drives'. Some people have one drive: C:\, others like me have lots (c,e,f,g,n,o). In order for the sage client to load a comskip file, it has to know where it is. The sub-system tells the client to look in the same place as the media file which is referenced from your server's drive structure.

So if you're trying to watch 'Law&Order-23453.mpg' off the E:\ drive on your server, the client will look for 'E:\Law&Order-23453.mpg.txt' for comskip info. If it can't find it, it will just play the file normally.

So because your client doesn't actually have E:\, and therefore can't find that file, it doesn't skip commercials.

You will have to setup a network neighborhood, navigate to your server, right click the drive and 'map network drive' to the same drive letter as it is on your server. IE: if it is E:\ on your server, map it to E:\ on your client.

You might have to turn on drive sharing to get this to work. To do that, from your server, goto my computer, and right click the drives, select sharing, add new share, and name it the same as the drive letter. You might also have to turn file sharing on somewhere, but I'm on a Mac right now, and can't remember off hand where that is.

Hopefully that'll be enought to get you started. Does it all make sense?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Sage User

a better method may be to just use UNC paths.

example: \\sageServer\d$\recordings
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongta
a better method may be to just use UNC paths.

example: \\sageServer\d$\recordings
IIRC UNC paths don't work correctly with comskip. I might be wrong though...
Old 06-03-2005, 02:05 PM
Sage User

Problem: i have shard the drive but to look at the drive through the network you have to put in a username but no password but having to put that username in makes it not work so my ? now how do i make windows 2000 not ask for the username just log in like all my windows XP computers?

Thanks,
Shibb Master
Old 06-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Sage Icon

I created users on my server for all my client computers that match the default login/pw of the client. IE: on your laptop you login as usr: Laptop pw:light you setup a user: Laptop pw: light on the server.

Check all your permissions on the server, and now you shouldn't have to deal with logging in to your shares.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

unc paths work fine with comskip, fyi.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Sage User

OK so your saying i make a user for my client as username:sage password:1234 and a new user for my sageserver as username:sage password:1234 and it will automaticly put in the right username and password for the server when the client trys to log into it?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:50 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Yes. On the client you have to be logged in as that user.

In short here's how mine works:
Sage Server
OS is on C:\
Video Files are on D:\ E:\ and F:\
These drives are shared as D E and F
There is a user on my Sage server by the name of Sage with password of frey

Sage Client
I have Mapped the drives of the Sage Server D E and F as D: E: and F: on the local Sage Client machine.
I have the machine automatically login via the command (control userpasswords2) as the local account Sage with the password frey

Hope this helps

(Some names and passwords have been changed for their protection)

Last edited by mikejaner; 06-03-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
Sage Icon

After a lot of crashes on my server using comskip detection, I disabled it a while back. I have recently started using DirMon and SA to generate the comskip txt files and it is working very well. Occasionally a show (which shows the commercial marks in the OSD) does not skip when it comes to the commercial. If I play another file, it seems to work fine. I have not found a similarity to the files that do not skip. Any thoughts? Is there a way to log what is happening so I can tell what is going on?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
unc paths work fine with comskip, fyi.
Then what is it that doesn't work with UNC? I seem to remember a couple of functions that didn't like them...

So confused.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Sage User

Commercial skip with sageclient

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejaner
Yes. On the client you have to be logged in as that user.

In short here's how mine works:
Sage Server
OS is on C:\
Video Files are on D:\ E:\ and F:\
These drives are shared as D E and F
There is a user on my Sage server by the name of Sage with password of frey

Sage Client
I have Mapped the drives of the Sage Server D E and F as D: E: and F: on the local Sage Client machine.
I have the machine automatically login via the command (control userpasswords2) as the local account Sage with the password frey

Hope this helps

(Some names and passwords have been changed for their protection)

Now about the command (control userpasswords2) i have no clue what that is because i think that is my problem my client cant log into the server because it is not putting in a username and password. Where do i put that cammand and would it be like "control sage1234" if my username is sage and password is 1234?
Old 06-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbywowdude
Now about the command (control userpasswords2) i have no clue what that is because i think that is my problem my client cant log into the server because it is not putting in a username and password. Where do i put that cammand and would it be like "control sage1234" if my username is sage and password is 1234?
You're probably going to have to create a new user on the client as well. During the user-creation process, you should be able to have it automatically log that user in, so it will be transparent to the user. Just make a new user with that same name.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Sage User

I already made a user on my client as username:sage password:1234 and a new user on my server as username:sage password:1234 and my other problem is that my client is using windows xp pro and my server is using windows 2000. So can you tell me exacly what to do after i have made those accounts?
Old 06-03-2005, 04:48 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
Go to Start--Run and type in the following

control userpasswords2

then uncheck the box which says user must enter username and password......
When you click on apply or ok, XP will ask you to enter in the username and password of the account you want to automatically log in with.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Sage User

ok did that on both of the PC's i have the D:\ drive shared on my network installed malore21.stv installed on both my server and client and have enabled commercial skip on both. Both computers are running off the exact same username and password and both do not start up and ask for the password. What else could be going wrong here? Should i try a different .stv

aww yes what should be said in the options in advanced at the bottom where it says "Import SageTV Module (.STV)" mine says "Select" and where it says "SageTV Application Definition (.STV File)" it says "malore.stv" Help me please I am doing this for my dad so he is able to skip all the commircials for fathers day and was really hoping this would work with me a little...lol.

Thanks,
Shibb Master
Old 06-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Sage User

ok here is my media center drive layout: Server: C:\ Media Files D:\OS (running windows 2000)

Client:C:\OS

Don't ask me why but when i installed windows on my server it made the D:\ Drive the primary Drive with OS and my C:\ storage for my media files and when i try to map my C:\ drive with my client my client does not give me the option to map the C: just B:, F:, G:, H:, etc... but it skips C: D: and E: beacuse i have hard drive and 2 disk drives...is there any way to change my media drive to F: instead of C:???