SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

question about hauppauge remote for Opus4

Hi all,
let me start this thread by saying... what a freakin amazing little community here! I sat down last nite to finally enable IR support for sage via my hauppauge 45 button remote.

With a few minor hiccups(mostly involved going to hauppauge.com to get new IR software) and using the pre release drivers for the pvr150... i was up and running in less then 20 minutes... even got it to work while sage doesnt ahve focus thanks to the hard work of forum members (kudos opus4).

I am just now wondering if some behaviour I see with the remote is normal or not. I notice that sometimes, while sage doesnt have focus, commands like menu or guide on the remote wont work, even though things like pause and play do. These other buttons tend to cause an "alt tab" type of effect where a list of running programs appear on my pc monitor, instead of the desired sage "menu" appearing. To get around it, I just use the green button to bring sage into focus before issuing these commands. maybe that is by design, I'm not sure... just curious if this was intended to work this way or if I have a few bugs to work out.

also wondering, if anyone has ever "taught" their Harmony remote the hauppauge IR commands... should be a no brainer correct?
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu

Last edited by aoehlke; 05-20-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoehlke
I am just now wondering if some behaviour I see with the remote is normal or not. I notice that sometimes, while sage doesnt have focus, commands like menu or guide on the remote wont work, even though things like pause and play do. These other buttons tend to cause an "alt tab" type of effect where a list of running programs appear on my pc monitor, instead of the desired sage "menu" appearing. To get around it, I just use the green button to bring sage into focus before issuing these commands. maybe that is by design, I'm not sure... just curious if this was intended to work this way or if I have a few bugs to work out.
This is probably because the remote is no longer forced to use the [SageTV] section in irremote.ini, either because the power button in that section was used & transfered the mode back to [Default], or because the power button in [Default] wasn't used to put it into SageTV mode. If you have SageTV go to sleep in full scrfeen screen-saver mode, then check that 'no-focus' thread again for info on that type of usage.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

no, i just have sage minimized to taskbar in this case.(so it has no focus).
a lot of commands work while it has no focus, just not menu or guide. they cause a windows OS event (alt tab i think).
menu or guide do work fine once i do get focus to sage, via the green on button.

I dont use sage sleep mode... I'm not even sure why sage has that. what is the point of it i wonder?

I figured while sage has no focus, i should be able to press guide and up comes live tv guide... but instead I have to first press the green button and then guide... no biggie but if there is a fix i'd like to try it out... must just be some tweaks to that original "haup remote with no focus irremote file"?
XP Pro SP2, P4 2.6 ghz, 1GB RAM, 2 X 80GB seagate serial ATA barracuda HDDs,2 X 160 GB samsung silent parallel ATA HDDs, antec sonata v1.1, msi gforce 6600gt vivo, hpage pvr150, sagetv v5, harmony remote, hauppauge media mvp, USB UIRT, Bell Expressvu
Old 05-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I figured while sage has no focus, i should be able to press guide and up comes live tv guide... but instead I have to first press the green button and then guide... no biggie but if there is a fix i'd like to try it out... must just be some tweaks to that original "haup remote with no focus irremote file"?
You first have to put the remote into "SageTV" mode by activating/running it with the green power button, otherwise it will just function according to whatever app has focus.

On the other hand, if you are not going to use the remote with anything other than SageTV, you could probably rename the [SageTV] section to [Default] and get rid of the existing [Default] section in the ini file. (A lot of this customization stuff is covered somewhere in those Hauppauge threads in my sig lines.)

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks andy, this "you could probably rename the [SageTV] section to [Default] and get rid of the existing [Default] section in the ini file."
is what i was hoping.

how come some command still work when there is no focus, but others dont?
I want it to always with with no focus, and ONLY control sage.
that point about changing the defaults should do it correct?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

wow Andy, looks like cats and dogs get along just fine !
Old 05-20-2005, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
wow Andy, looks like cats and dogs get along just fine !
I didn't notice... You mean I've been replying to someone with a dog avatar. I gotta be more careful.

<-- just in case it was needed!

Quote:
thanks andy, this "you could probably rename the [SageTV] section to [Default] and get rid of the existing [Default] section in the ini file."
is what i was hoping.
I forgot to say that if you go that route, you might as well remove most of the other sections just in case some other app gets focus & interferes. That should make it control only SageTV. Oh: and keep backup copies because your custom ini could get overwritten if you reinstall the IR software or modified w/a SageTV installation.

Quote:
how come some command still work when there is no focus, but others dont?
Because the default result for something like Play is to send an APPCOMMAND message, which SageTV can respond to -- see the [Default] section's button definitions.

- Andy
Old 05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

plan of attack is get it working only with sage, then get it working via harmony.
then get comfortable with controls... then... maybe... play and see if i can do windows media player.