SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-07-2005, 12:23 AM
Sage User

Pre-Sales questions

I have a couple questions about Sage before I buy it.

My main concern is that there hasn't been a new version in awhile. I hate to pay for the software only to find that a new version comes out a month later with loads of new features that they're going to make me re-buy.

So are updates really free? Even from a 2.x version to a 3.x version?

Also, I didn't much care for Beyond TV's interface, but one thing I did like was a global setting to pad each recording by a minute before and a minute after its air time. I know you can set this per recording in SageTV, but it's a pain in the neck process and doesn't affect every programmed recording. Is there a way to set this globally? I keep finding that I'm missing the beginning AND end of a lot of shows if I just let the timer go with Sage, even if I have the "Sync clock to Sage servers" enabled.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:13 AM
Sage Icon

Well, we aren't too far away from Release 3.0 http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ad.php?t=11073

As far as Global Padding, not to my knowledge. Do you really do that many manual recordings? I have all my favorites setup with padding.. it really wasn't that time consuming.

Every indication is 3.0 will be free to Licensed users. If SageTV does charge for it, there will be some mighty grumbling in this forum and potential loss of users to MCE.. so I seriously doubt that's going to happen.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 05-07-2005, 06:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

IF I remember correctly, one or more of the customized STVs have a set-up option to globably set the start/end padding. Sorry, I don't remember which one(s).
Old 05-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

SageTV has already said (and I posted it somewhere) that the v3 upgrade will be free for existing registered users.

The default record padding import STV is listed in the List of available customizations.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Sage User

Yes, I do mostly manual recordings. And it's STILL a pain to add padding to each and every favourite, since the padding isn't quick and easy to set.

I'll take a look at customising my STV file, although it would be nice to offer these options from within the programme, especially if people are going to be using sage as a TV appliance and don't want to have to reattach a keyboard once everything's set up to configure things.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Sage Icon

Well, I don't agree with you about it being a pain.. but of course opinions are just opinions.

If global padding is something you really want, then let SageTV know by posting in the Official Feature Request Thread or send them an email.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 05-07-2005, 01:53 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't need a keyboard to reconfigure Sage, I'm able to configure anything I need to with the remote. If I need to do anything beyond that such as tinkering with my windows settings I just use VNC.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:09 PM
Sage User

You're able to edit text files with just your remote?

How are you able to edit your STV file using only SageTV and a Hauppauge remote?
Old 05-07-2005, 03:28 PM
SageTVaholic

You don't edit STV files.

See page 151 of the manual.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Actually I use the MCE Remote and the stv that Sage uses by default. I've setup all of my favorites including padding the start and stop times (it takes maybe 10-20 seconds each, of course this is a one time thing), adjusted the overscan, decoder settings, and encoder settings all with the remote. I've never had to edit a text file for Sage.