SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-21-2005, 05:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV Deleting Files?

Howdy,

Woke up this morning with a problem I can't explain. I have been saving certain TV shows to my hard drive for the past week or so. I have also been using VideoReDo to edit out the commercials and resave the files. When I did this I left the filename the same but VRD put the (02) at the end.

Last night I did a bunch of them and this morning they are all gone. I'm sure last night I was low on disk space since I did a bunch of converts and then went back to delete the original files when I was done, but that would have only been for a few minutes.

I can't figure out what happened to the files and I'm wondering if SageTV deleted them when I saw I was low on disk space. Is there any way to view a log file or anything to see if Sage did delete them? Would Sage normally delete a file that it hadn't created or will it only delete files that it created while capturing a show?

I have no idea where all my shows are and I'm quite upset since it's taken me a long time to get the shows I wanted....

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Are they gone according to Sage or are they missing off of the drive?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

They are gone from the drive... I can find no trace from them. THe original file and the one I clipped in Video ReDo are all gone.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Administrator

What version of SageTV are you using & did you leave the edited files in the recording dir? A few versions back, SageTV would sometimes delete alien files that were found to reside in one of its recording dirs. Now, as far as I know, SageTV should only delete its own recordings (as space is needed ) & not other files it happens to find in a recording dir.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think it's 2.2.6? And yes I left them in the same folder. I have other videos in that folder as well. Does Sage keep a logfile or something that I could look and see if it did delete them or not? I don't think I did it but I guess anything is possible.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

2.2.6 is a slightly older beta version, but it is new enough that it shouldn't have the problem of deleting other files. As a beta, it does create .txt log files, so perhaps it would mark deletions in one of those files. Normally, there is no activity log.

Are you using any customizations that are set to delete files?

Is there an 'errant' subdirectory where the files were moved? (There is a property that will cause SageTV to do that.)

Hmmm... I just realized that perhaps it is possible that with the way the files were renamed, SageTV could have thought that the files were still its own TV recordings & ended up removing them for whatever reason. I don't know a definite answer for this, but in the future, I think it is best to save your edited files in a different location.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.