SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Sage Expert

Good Solution for two Sage Servers?

I was searching for details on people using two instances of Sage servers on the same network. I found a couple threads on it but none of them really answered my needs and I wasn't sure if these people got their setup working right.

Short version: I'm redoing my setup and I need Sage server to get my shows which I watch and delete but I need my HTPC client to be able to record shows locally. However, as I also watch TV there, I want to be able to watch my shows there too a-la-Sage client (with full show descriptions and list of recordings). How can I accomplish this?

Longer version: since I have started doing this whole HTPC thang, my relatives and friends come over all the time to watch TV. Now its become an established thing and they are recording things on my client which they spend time watching. Because of this, a few of them kicked in a bunch of money and they put together a pretty sweet PC and gave it to me today. Its got ~500gb of storage, a 6800 video card, P4 2.4ghz, 512mb of ram and a crappy TV tuner (good TV tuners aren't really availbe here) which I am going to replace with a PVR-500. Anyway, I need this new box (lets call it PC#2 and the Sage Server PC#1) to act as a Sage client as well as a PVR.

Now, I could do it by installing Sage Client and using MeeTV to do the recordings but I would much rather it be a fully Sage box (and MeeTV is still rather raw). I currently have SageTV and Sage Client but have no problems buying another license. The problem is having SageTV on PC#2 and have it also act like Sage Client. I don't need or want the things recorded on PC#2 to show up on PC#1 but I do need the things recorded on PC#1 to show up on PC#2 fully as if it were running Sage Client.

Thanks!

Last edited by silkshadow; 04-18-2005 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Sage Icon

The SageTV full installs can work perfectly together. One of them will be the main server, while the other will act as a client with it's tuner acting as a network encoder remotely controlled by the server.

Done deal, should be perfect for you.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
The SageTV full installs can work perfectly together. One of them will be the main server, while the other will act as a client with it's tuner acting as a network encoder remotely controlled by the server.

Done deal, should be perfect for you.
Are you positive that 2nd SageTV Server, acting as a network encoder, won't be recording and streaming across the network? Because with a normal SageTV Server & Client setup, even if the client PC has shows on its local storage, the SageTV Server will still pull those across the network and then stream them back to the client, albeit inefficient.
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Sage Icon

Yes it will be recording accross the network. I believe that all the media is proxied through the server.

I'm not running this configuration now, but I did try it for a while and I did not notice anything negative about this.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Seperate Sage server installs on both machines, and a seperate copy of Client on PC2 that connects to PC1 would work.

The other solutions have all shows on both machines in their TV libraries, which is the undesired result if I read correctly. Just can't fathom why you'd not want both machines to have the same libraries (would help out on conflicts, and duplicate recordings & such).
Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

you wouldn't need the copy of client... Sage will act as a client on the second machine with it's full install.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Icon

But that client will only connect to the sage server installed locally won't it? I've not tried it though.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Sage Icon

nope... you can connect to the main server without a problem. You also have to enable in the properties file the option to turn on encoding server, so your client tuners will be shared with the server. You still have to go through the similar setup on the server side to get the network encoders to show up... pretty much the same as SageRecorder.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Administrator

I don't know if this is final, but there is some info from Frey on how to set up the full SageTV as a client + network encoder here.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Sage Expert

Thanks everyone! I will give that a try this weekend Opus4 and see how it works out.