SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Sage User

DVD Playback "Black Bars" are Purple

When watching a widescreen version of a DVD on my 4:3 aspect ratio TV, I expect there to be "Black Bars" at the top and bottom of the screen. However, when I watch the DVD using Sage the "Black Bars" are more of a dark purple.

I've enabled the sage.properties value that allows me to change the background color, but it already was and still is set to black.

I'm using the Nvidia DVD Decoder with audio passthrough to S/PDIF. This same decoder doesn't have this problem if I use Windows Media Player, but I'd like to use Sage. A while ago I saw a similar post in the forums, but I can't find that thread now. Anyone ever find a solution?
Old 03-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm having a similar problem. I'm also using the NVidia decoder and when I play DVDs or imported videos (16x9) I get about an inch of dark purple on before the lower black bar. . .

Anyone else having such an issue?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm having the same problem with purple bars using the Nvidia decoder. In particular, I see it when I'm using an aspect ratio that doesn't fit the monitor and/or the source material.

Did anyone find a solution or workaround for this?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Sage Icon

I used to have this problem with any decoder on my ATI9600XT video card since SageTV4 I think. Sagetv ver 2 did not have this for sure.

I have just switched to an Nvidia 7600GS card with Purevideo decoders and now the bars are black.

Are you by any chance running an ATI card?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Sounds like you don't have the TV calibrated properly for video levels and you're seeing the video-black bars stored on the DVD.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

No one mentioend VMR9 or Overlay? When I used overlay (for the brief two seconds of that junk lol) My bars were a dark purple. VMR9 they are black for me. Just a thought. Also, for pillarboxed shows, overlay was a deep dark red as opposed to black.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleHat
No one mentioend VMR9 or Overlay? When I used overlay (for the brief two seconds of that junk lol) My bars were a dark purple. VMR9 they are black for me. Just a thought. Also, for pillarboxed shows, overlay was a deep dark red as opposed to black.
I've seen purple ones as well when using overlay with the Nvidia decoder. I've also used overlay and they were black so I'm not sure what settings caused mine to turn purple.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Like you Blade, I'm using overlay. If I switch to VMR9 they switch back to black, but VMR9 doesn't play well with dual monitors.

Stranger- I don't think I'm seeing the black bars on the DVD. It doesn't just happen with DVDs. For instance, if I'm watching TV full screen on a 4:3 monitor and I switch the aspect ratio to 16:9 (which I realize is dumb, its just an example), I see black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, but purple bars on the left and right. So, presumably its the overlay renderer causing these bars.

Lucas- I have a 6600GT video card.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14
Like you Blade, I'm using overlay.
Actually I use VMR9, but have noticed it back when I used overlay.

Have you tried changing the aspect ratio in the nvidia decoder? Seems like I was playing around with the ratios when I first noticed it. Could have been a coincidence though.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Blade-

I hadn't done anything with the nvidia decoder aspect ratio settings before, but I played around with them a bit just now. It has the same effect as changing the aspect ratio settings in Sage- the purple bars still appear.

So, you certainly would have noticed the purple bars while playing with the settings. If you were watching 4:3 material and you switched the aspect ratio to 16:9, you'd see the purple bars on the sides.