SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Sage User

EPG & Internet Connection Sharing

My home theater PC (running Sage) reaches the Internet through another PC on my network that is configured to share a dial-up internet connection. This means that the EPG can only update when the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) PC is online.

The EPG seems to be updating properly, but I'm sort of baffled when I look at the "Last EPG Update Time" in the Setup > System Information screen. It often shows that updates occurred at times that I know the ICS PC wasn't connected to the internet. How can this be?

If the ICS PC isn't connected to the internet at a time when Sage wants to do an EPG update, what happens? Does Sage just buffer the update request until it sees that an internet connection is available?

As I said, the EPG seems to be updating properly although the "look-ahead" only seems to be 12 days instead of 14 days as advertized - is this what others have observed?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalWarrior
The EPG seems to be updating properly, but I'm sort of baffled when I look at the "Last EPG Update Time" in the Setup > System Information screen. It often shows that updates occurred at times that I know the ICS PC wasn't connected to the internet. How can this be?
Maybe the ICS PC is set to automatically dial when the other PC tries to initiate an internet connection? I know you can set SageTV to autodial when needed, but I don't know if that setting could make another PC dial or if that one has to have that enabled in your ICS setup.

Quote:
As I said, the EPG seems to be updating properly although the "look-ahead" only seems to be 12 days instead of 14 days as advertized - is this what others have observed?
To me, it looks like it is 12 days ahead & 2 days back... that adds up to 14 days, but I don't really notice it having 14 days of _future_ data. Hmmm....

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Maybe the ICS PC is set to automatically dial when the other PC tries to initiate an internet connection? I know you can set SageTV to autodial when needed, but I don't know if that setting could make another PC dial or if that one has to have that enabled in your ICS setup.
Yeah, I thought that might be the case too, but I have the ICS PC set not to allow a connection to be automateically dialed. Also, sometimes Sage says the EPG updated when I know that the ICS PC was completely turned OFF. Wacky, eh?
Old 04-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that might be the case too, but I have the ICS PC set not to allow a connection to be automateically dialed. Also, sometimes Sage says the EPG updated when I know that the ICS PC was completely turned OFF. Wacky, eh?
Hmmmm.... when the EPG update fails (especially when the ICS PC is off), what does System Info say regarding the time until the next update? There may have been some sort of change to keep it from constantly trying to update after failing.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Sage User

It says 0 minutes until next update. Does that mean "I'm going wait until an internet connection is detected, then I'll update?"
Old 04-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Administrator

I believe that is what it _should_ do. If you are using the latest version & it doesn't update once it does have a connection, you should probably report that to Frey. I think there used to be a problem where it would never update after failing, but as far as I know that is now fixed.

- Andy
Old 04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
Sage User

I've been experimenting over the past week, and have observed that Sage says, "0 minutes until next update" indefinately even though my ICS pc has established numerous lengthy dial-up connections.

I could force Sage to update the EPG if I exited the application then restarted it while the ICS pc has an internet connection established.

Seems that Frey might need to investigate this as a bug. I'll pursue contacting them.

BTW Opus4, I noticed that your signature line says that 2.2.8 release is available. I clicked on your link and looked at the subsequent "release notes" link, but there were only notes for up to 2.2.6. I'm currently at 2.2.7. Do you know what's changed/fixed with 2.2.8?

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
BTW Opus4, I noticed that your signature line says that 2.2.8 release is available. I clicked on your link and looked at the subsequent "release notes" link, but there were only notes for up to 2.2.6. I'm currently at 2.2.7. Do you know what's changed/fixed with 2.2.8?
Pretty much just what is listed here.

While you are contacting tech support about the EPG update not happening, you could always ask for the release notes on the download page to be updated for the last couple versions.

- Andy