SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Sage Expert

EPG Update Time Not Getting Set Correctly?

I've been trying to use the "trick" to delete/add a channel at a specific time of the day to have my EPG data download. I do it at 1:00 AM or so. It does download the data.

However, it sets the next update time to 18 hours and some-odd minutes, meaning that it downloads the EPG data at about 7:45 PM each night (while it's in the middle of recording prime time shows).

I don't think it's a real good idea to have this EPG data updating while I've got some recordings going.

I've also looked at hardcoding the Epoch time values, but that does not seem to work either.

Anyone else having this problem (or hopefully, does anyone have a fix so I can have my EPG data download in the middle of the night)? FWIW, I'm running 2.2.8.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Administrator

I don't think it would really be an issue if it updates while recording.

When you went to Channel Setup, did you select "Done" after toggling a channel twice? (Not sure if it matters, but...)

If it keeps insisting on updating at 7:45, does it do so again 24 hours after that?

When you tried specifying the update time in the properties file, did you make sure to completely exit SageTV, including the service if it is in use, before editing the properties file?

I can't think of much beyond that. Oh -- are you using an EPG plugin, or the standard US EPG data?
- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Sage Expert

Sorry about this going into the wrong area originally...

I did not select "Done". I'll try that and see if it makes a difference

Yes, it continues further updates at 7:45 PM (well, every day or two it increases the time by a minute, to 7:46 then 7:47, etc.).

Yes, I did completely exit everything, including the service. Then I changed the time. It should be noted that the Epoch time that is in there maps to sometime in 2032 if I take the number that is in the file and run it through a converter...

I'm using the standard EPG stuff that comes with Sage, no separate plugin that I'm aware of (unless Cayars changes something there).

Also, I noticed that there are actually 3 updates listed, even though I'm only downloading a single EPG. Could that be contributing to the problem?

If you want, I'll post the appropriate lines from my properties file this evening.

Last edited by aperry; 04-06-2005 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
Yes, I did completely exit everything, including the service. Then I changed the time. It should be noted that the Epoch time that is in there maps to sometime in 2032 if I take the number that is in the file and run it through a converter...
The FAQ entry for this notes that the time is in milliseconds, so you'll have to adjust by a facter of 1000. I bolded that comment just now to make it more visible ion the future. Try this method again, after taking the millisecond factor into account.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that there are actually 3 updates listed, even though I'm only downloading a single EPG. Could that be contributing to the problem?
The FAQ also mentions that -- if you have multiple sources, you should change them all when editing the properties file. Also, if going through Channel Setup, that might only update only 1 EPG lineup, so you may want to try doing the same update for any other lineups you are using. I've never had to try that.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
The FAQ entry for this notes that the time is in milliseconds, so you'll have to adjust by a facter of 1000. I bolded that comment just now to make it more visible ion the future. Try this method again, after taking the millisecond factor into account.
Oops, I missed that Sage uses milliseconds and the websites use seconds... If the selecting "Done" doesn't work, then I'll just take the Epoch value from one of the websites and add 3 zeroes to the end (or do the calculations for the time difference and update it that way).
Quote:
The FAQ also mentions that -- if you have multiple sources, you should change them all when editing the properties file. Also, if going through Channel Setup, that might only update only 1 EPG lineup, so you may want to try doing the same update for any other lineups you are using. I've never had to try that.
As I mentioned though, I only have one lineup, but three epg_data_sources exist. I'll post it later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Assuming that I do have more than one entry, should I make them the same value or stagger them a bit (given that they have different values when I look at them)? Also, if the other two are indeed not "real" sources, is there a way to delete them to cut down on the clutter?
Old 04-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperry
As I mentioned though, I only have one lineup, but three epg_data_sources exist. I'll post it later so you can see what I'm talking about.

Assuming that I do have more than one entry, should I make them the same value or stagger them a bit (given that they have different values when I look at them)? Also, if the other two are indeed not "real" sources, is there a way to delete them to cut down on the clutter?
I would just make them the same value & go from there. You could probably delete the unused lines... but then you get into the question of: which ones are not used? (Maybe the one you edited last time isn't used...) BUT: I've never had to deal with updating multiple sources, real or imagined, so don't take my word for it.

- Andy