SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Sage User

Absolutely Unacceptable. Favorite didn't record.

I've never been so upset at software in my life. Last night, my computer decided to record Who's Line is it Anyway instead 24. 24 has my highest priority in my favorites list, while Who's line is 11th in priority. 24 will NOT re-air at all this season. So it's not like it detected a later showing a rescheduled due to confilct. I'm out an episode of 24. So very unacceptable. I have no way to reclaim it. it will not re-air. I'm am screwed over a bug in the software.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? Am I going to have to manually check each and every day and enforce which shows I want to have priority here? Despite the raised priority of 24 over Who's Line, I've seen the conflict in the scheduler before and manually set "ALWAYS have 24 Override showings of Who's Line is it Anyway". I guess that's worthless as well.

I'm sorry for ranting, but this is a continuity show that will not be re-aired. Not only that, but every week I invite a few friends over to watch it with me, and they all count on me as well. Now i'm completely SOL.

Last edited by Mortanis; 04-05-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortanis
Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this from happening again? Am I going to have to manually check each and every day and enforce which shows I want to have priority here? Despite the raised priority of 24 over Who's Line, I've seen the conflict in the scheduler before and manually set "ALWAYS have 24 Override showings of Who's Line is it Anyway". I guess that's worthless as well.
OK, first, was 24 listed in Upcoming Recordings? If it wasn't then it wasn't going to be recorded.

Second, you said you went into the conflict resolution screen, did you select "ALWAYS heve 24 Override showings of Who's Line is it Anyway?" because you'll notice that that dialog has both options (24 over Who's and Who's over 24), if you don't pick Sage will use it's internal logic.

Third, have you manually adjusted the priorities of the favorites? If not then (I think) their order is meaningless, ie not an indication of priority.

What you need to do (or should have done) is check the Upcoming Recordings and made sure it was in there. Also on the Recording Conflict screen it will tell you which will be recorded eg ""24" will not be recorded due to a conflict with "Who's Line is it Anyway""

Oh, and one more thing, are you 100% sure that 24 isn't aired at another time? Because I just did a search for "24" and it listed "Day 4" three times.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
Sage Icon

I'm pretty sure that it will record one of the encore presentations of this week's episode which FOX has been bragging about. Usually they only air the one episode a week but I remember reading 24 was being encored a couple of times this week. So basically when Sage hit the conflict of 24 and Whose Line it saw that the Whose Line episode wouldn't be on again in its 10+ days of listings but saw that 24 would be shown again so it tried/is trying to get both shows for you. AFAIK this is by design.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

My listings show 24 re-airing both Friday night at 9pm and Sunday night at 9pm. Both shows are the 10pm-11pm episode.

That is why Who's line recorded, it found an alternate airing time.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Sage Expert

Yeah. My favorites also decided to record a South Park re-run instead of 24. My guess is that it was goign to record nothing when one of the 24 re-runs (Friday and Saturday both) was going to record so it decided to make better use of its time.

If this behavior is unaccepatble, what you could do is change your 24 favorite to just have it record first runs. This will ensure it only records the one on Monday on Fox.

Last edited by abasu2003; 04-05-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
If this behavior is unaccepatble, what you could do is change your 24 favorite to just have it record first runs. This will ensure it only records the one on Monday on Fox.
You might want to check the listings again... all those additional airings are also "First Runs". When a show is aired for the first time, the EPG source data almost always marks all the airings in the first week or so as "First Run". It is considered a rerun later in the year when the whole series repeats.

About the only way to ensure that a specific airing is recorded is to limit the fav to a timeslot, an option only available in custom STVs. Of course, it looks like that won't work here either since all the airings are on at the same time. Favs still can't be limited to a specific day...

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:29 AM
Sage User

You're right.. that's why. Fox changed it's stance, I gather. Originally they specifically said that each episode would only be aired once this season, and once only. That is what lead me to believe I was out of luck. I even checked the upcoming schedule last night before I posted, and didn't see it. Checking this morning, it's there plain as day friday night. Glad they changed their mind. Woo.

*smacks head*

Glad I won't have to do things manually. I'll just have to look at things a little bit more closely and not jump to conclusions.

Many thanks, all.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

I think there used to be (and may still be) a properties file setting that specifies that SageTV should always record the first airing of an episode, even if it results in an otherwise avoidable conflict. This might allow you to (in future weeks) keep your schedule for when your friends come over.

I can't remember the setting name and search hasn't helped. Maybe somebody else remembers it.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Sage Icon

Here is an article about why they are having encore presentations this week:
http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|94447|1|,00.html

Last edited by ToxMox; 04-06-2005 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsbst
I think there used to be (and may still be) a properties file setting that specifies that SageTV should always record the first airing of an episode, even if it results in an otherwise avoidable conflict.
That sounded familiar to me too... but that property, whatever it was called, is no longer in use and has been sent out to wherever old properties go when they retire.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.