SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Sage User

lockup with win2k

I have a dedicated sage tv computer that works fine. I have another client computer that uses xp. The client xp system works fine. I have tried to install the client software on three other 2k computers. All of them can access the server but not the live TV or recordings, it just hangs. I have looked through the services and processes on all machines and cant find the difference. I don't know what the xp machine has that the 2k machines don't. All machines run the same client software and java. Does anyone know what I am missing.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Sage User

I have checked the requirements also. Directx9 did need an update but that didn't fix the problem.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 AM
Sage Expert

I had major issues when I was running 2k. Stuttering, unrecognized PVR cards, and blue screens of death. I tried every driver, multiple reinstalls, and the simplest configuration possible. Nothing helped. I did notice that installing windows media player 9 made things worse. Ultimately I ended up upgrading to XP and all of my problems went away.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I run my server and MVP Clients on WIN 2K without a problem. The first thing that I thought of in your post is are you running separate Client licenses on each computer? You will need a distinct license for each machine.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Sage User

Thank you toddly, you must know somthing "Evil_Attourney" and I don't. I could not get the win2k setup to work, with or without the supplied serial from sage. I have tried many times under many types of installs of OS and sage to get a win2k server and client, but to no avail. However the software worked flawlessly with xp. I do have however a win 2k laptop I would like to use. I hope that you can share your knowledge, and help us understand how to make sage work on 2k machines based on your expert experience.

Thank you
Old 03-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

I did have some issues with Sage version 2.2.7 and the Sage decoders when used on my system. I could play the recordings through Media Player but not Sage. I use the nVidia decoders now and use Overlay for the renderer.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:28 PM
Sage User

I have the same problem. Do the nvidia decoders allow sage client to watch tv now or are they for media player. I don't understand the overlay for the render part. ( I won't be recording with the 2k machine) How do I know what type of decoders sage uses?

thanks
Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Sage User

I upgraded to win media player 9 (required by nvidia) and installed nvidia decoders. It didn't help. I'm begining to realize that you guys were right sage client ver 2.2 won't work with win2k. I am disapointed with the claim that win2k is supported.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

pboodi, what exactly are your settings in the Detailed Setup in the Video tab.You should have a choice of decoders now with nVidia and the Sage decoders that come with 2.2.7. The nVidia decoders wll work with Sage and Windows Media Player. Do you have an earlier version of Sage to try with your installation? I had a better experience with version 2.1.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Sage User

toddly, the video tab says nvidia decoder. I have also tried the cyberlink, dvd express and sage decoders that are also listed. none will work. I don't have sage 2.1. or earlier.
:-(
Old 04-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Sage User

Thumbs up

My SageTV 2.2.7 runs just great under Win2K and has from the start (about a year ago). I have run it on three different boxes ranging from VIA C3 800MHz to an AMD CPU at 1.8GHz and my current server which is a Dell SC420 with a 2.5 GHz Celeron.

I have always run Win2K and have never had a problem even tho I am using the PVR350 that seems to cause so many problems for others.

Current system:
Dell SC420 server, 513MB PC3200 RAM. 2.5 GHz Celeron
ASUS X300SE/128 PCIe video card
Hauppauge PVR350
80GB SATA drive (C:Win2K Pro SP4 & SageTV 2.2.7)
200GB & 250 GB PATA drives for video recording
NEC ND3500A DVD on SATA for burning

It just works
W2K SP4 PVR 350
Old 04-07-2005, 02:58 PM
Sage Expert

Hmm....interesting. My HTPC has about the same specs. I begining to suspect that my mother board was the reason I was having troubles with 2k.

I have a pm800: http://www.ecsusa.com/products/PM800-M2.cfm

When I installed XP, I used the default IDE and other drivers that XP automatically assigned. Does anyone having 2k problems see any similarities in their MB?
Old 04-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Sage User

Evil correct me if I am wrong but you are still are using the same motherboard. You have the success everyone has after upgrading to xp.

ezeitler....can you please post your services so I can compare with a working system?
if not you can email me.

thanks
Old 04-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Sage Expert

Yea, it is working ok after xp. But some people's can use 2k without a problem. I'd love to figure out why. Maybe it's a via chipset problem.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Sage User

Evil....I'd love to figure out why also. But I don't have a via chipset. I have a compaq presario 80xl-550 notebook.