SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Sage User

movie ripped to HD with dvd decrypter should skip intros right?

i ripped a DVD to my hard drive with dvd decrypter. i went into sage setup --> detailed setup, and set the setting for skipping the FBI warning and whatnot to enabled. when i tried to play the dvd i got a playback error. it played the DVD including the FBI warning fine, but if i tried to skip ahead i'd get the playback error.

the movie should play fine right? i mean dvd decrypter is removing the macrovision right? this used to work fine before i rebuilt my PC. i had the intervideo nonCSS codec at that point though and cannot reinstall it since i sold the hauppauge 250 that gave me that codec. no love from hauppauge for 500MCE owners
Old 03-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Sage Fanatic

I believe macrovision removal and such are settings in dvd decrypter. You may have to enable them in the settings/options menu before ripping the dvd.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

I think you need to use DVDShrink to be able to skip menus, and things like that. DVDDecrypter doesn't remove the menu restrictions for me, just DVDshink.

I"m not saying you can't, but I've never seen a setting for it.

--Mike
Win7Pro, SageTV v6.6, SageMC, Intel E6850, 2048MB DDR2, , ATI4750, LG BR/HDVD/DVD-Rom,1xHDHR, 1xPVR-1600 (1x DirectTV , 1x Comcast Analog Cable, and 3x OTA Digital), USB-UIRT, and Harmony 300 Remote + 1 MVP Extender + 1 PC Client.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Sage User

naylia, it is set to take out macrovision. i could see the movie using VMR9 which should not work if macrovision is still enabled. so mongoose, you're saying macrovision and menu restrictions are 2 seperate things? that would explain it. thanks guys.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi
naylia, it is set to take out macrovision. i could see the movie using VMR9 which should not work if macrovision is still enabled. so mongoose, you're saying macrovision and menu restrictions are 2 seperate things? that would explain it. thanks guys.
Yes, they're separate. Macrovision is embedded in the video stream (more specifically in the blanking signal)

And menu restrictions are in the code that makes up the DVD.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by big boi
VMR9 will work just fine even if the disk has macrovision.

Regarding the topic at hand, Macrovision and PUO (Prohibited User Operations) are completely separate things. Macrovision is embedded in the video to (essentially) throw of recording devices.

PUOs on the other hand are flags that say what you can't do, like "you can't skip this" or "you can't go there".

IIRC DVD Decrypter defaults to not removing PUOs.

----

Of course if I were ripping a DVD, I'd just use DVD Shrink and eliminate the menus/extras all together.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
IIRC DVD Decrypter defaults to not removing PUOs.
you could also use IFOedit to remove those.

In IFO mode, can't DVD Decrypter pull just the movie out (either unmuxed or still muxed)? ==no menus then.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes and no.

Yes it can rip "just the movie" vobs. However, in my experience and AFIAK, DVD Shrink and IFOedit are the only apps that rebuild the DVD "movie only" and leave you with a playable/functional "movie only" rip. DVD Decrypter basically just uses the IFO to pick which vobs to rip, but does not re-create the ifo.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was talking about just having the vob's or a .mpg left over....but sounds like Sage would need a proper .ifo to open the vob's anyway....understood.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

It can open vobs (if you add them to the import list) but then it (or any player for that matter) plays them in file mode. You need the IFO to play it it DVD mode with all the DVD features intact, notably chapters and seamless/automatic sequencing of VOBs.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Sage Icon

When I want some of the menu and other things disabled I use AnyDVD and Nero Recode, Without having to rip it to Hard Drive. I just tell Nero what to take out. A little easier and a lot faster than using IfoEdit to strip streams.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

DVD Shrink can do it too, IFOedit isn't necessary.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Hi -

Those suggesting DVD Shrink are right on. I use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter together. I always rip to the drive with DVD Decrypter first. This will produce an exact replica of the dvd, with all menus, audio tracks, bonus features, etc. intact. I then point DVD Shrink at the files I just created (use "Open Files" button in DVD Shrink), and after the analysis is complete, press the "Reauthor" button. This will show you the breakdown of the contents of the disc - menus, main title, and bonus selections. All you want is the main title - double click that, then go to the compression settings tab, and uncheck any audio tracks you don't want. Assuming you are ripping to your drive and not concerned with burning it to a dvd-r, you should also choose "No Compression". If after cutting away all the unwanted stuff, you still end up with > 4.7gb, you'll get a warning saying it's too big to fit on a dvd-r. Say ok, choose a file path to store the movie, and voila - nothing but movie. You can then delete the files created by DVD Decrypter. I've done about 200 dvd's in this fashion. ENJOY.