SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:05 PM
Sage Expert

IR or RF? (remote search for new Happauge PVR 500)

I just bit the bullet and bought a PVR 500 dual-tuner card for use with Sage.

I have heard that RF remotes work best. I will be starting with only one TV but wouldl eventually like to use 2 in a small 2 bedroom apartment. What do I need to know before choosing this solution? What are your recomendations?

On a different subject....
I plan on getting rid of DirecTV before long now that my DirecTivo will soon be useless and using a Wineguard non-amplified Wing antenna until my cable company starts selling individual channels at reasonable rates. There are probably better antenna options as well. I have a small attic in this apartment. What antenna will give me the best reception... Anyone have any ideas on this?
Old 03-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Sage Expert

Now What?

I just purchased the Dual Tuner Hauppauge card from eBay. Now I need to know how to find the best infrared or radio frequency remote and antenna?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Administrator

There have been a few "what's the best remote" threads in the past, but I don't remember if they covered RF remotes too much. Information Resources for Remotes, Receivers, and IR Blasters has some links for remote info -- check the General Purpose section for an older thread about 'best' remotes & a site dedicated to remotes.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Based on your question in another thread about the Hauppauge remote for the 500mce, I thought I would point out that you will need to find a receiver to go along with any remote you use. I don't know much about RF receivers/remotes, so I'll just stick to IR for this:

Receiver: one good IR receiver that many people use is the USB-UIRT. It can be used directly with SageTV or via Girder. You can use just about any IR remote with it. It will also function as a transmitter, so you could use it to change channels on a cable/sat converter box, if needed.

Remote: There are too many to list, so it comes down to which one you like. The various remotes were discussed in some older threads (search "best remote" or some such thing) or at Remote Central. You could get a universal/learning remote so you could use it to control your other devices (TV, stereo, etc).

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:00 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Receiver: one good IR receiver that many people use is the USB-UIRT. It can be used directly with SageTV or via Girder. You can use just about any IR remote with it. It will also function as a transmitter, so you could use it to change channels on a cable/sat converter box, if needed.

You could get a universal/learning remote so you could use it to control your other devices (TV, stereo, etc).
So the Hauppauge remote does not have "learning" capabilities and cannot be programmed for basic TV functions?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

Snoop,

I have and IR keyboard that I can use to learn keystrokes into a learning IR remote, so I went IR.

Just last night I programmed my new Home Theater Master MX700, and I've got to say that it is the bomb. If you want RF I believe the MX800 would be the one to get. I picked mine up from surfremotecontrol.com for $179.95. Both surf and remote central are great resources.

Hope this helps.

Jesse
Old 03-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
So the Hauppauge remote does not have "learning" capabilities and cannot be programmed for basic TV functions?
Correct.

- Andy
Old 03-10-2005, 01:06 AM
Sage Aficionado

https://www.weaknees.com/cart/custom...ff8c557594df6f

Consider this. Find the regular IR remote with the button layout you prefer. I like the Philips universals at walmart for $15, buy 2. Pop the RF battery into the remote, put the RF base station anywhere near the USB-UIRT and you are in business.

It's easy to overlook the hassle of physically pointing the remote at something until you don't have to do it anymore. This solution is pretty cheap and works great.

I love it.

-gary-
Old 03-10-2005, 02:16 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbrown
https://www.weaknees.com/cart/custom...ff8c557594df6f

Consider this. Find the regular IR remote with the button layout you prefer. I like the Philips universals at walmart for $15, buy 2. Pop the RF battery into the remote, put the RF base station anywhere near the USB-UIRT and you are in business.

It's easy to overlook the hassle of physically pointing the remote at something until you don't have to do it anymore. This solution is pretty cheap and works great.

I love it.

-gary-
great post! I will likely end up buying that once everything is working. The problem for me is going to be positional. I have a Computer with USB-UIRT in one room with TVs in each room on either side. Nothing is in line of sight. Distance is about 100 feet between the two TVs.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I stuffed everything in a cabinet. Taped the RF transmitter emitter on the inside of the door. I control Sage, receiver, and dvd player from the remote. This will be a great solution for you.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I stuffed everything in a cabinet. Taped the RF transmitter emitter on the inside of the door. I control Sage, receiver, and dvd player from the remote. This will be a great solution for you.
Excellent sir. So all I need to do is buy that product for $60, PVR500 $164.00, USB-UIRT $58.00? I've already aquired the software Sage 2.2.7 and Girder, purchased the PVR500 and USB-UIRT. After I buy that one you linked to, I'm done right ?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes. You don't need girder, Sage supports this hardware natively.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Yes. You don't need girder, Sage supports this hardware natively.
I was told that PVR500 dual-tuner card did not directly support any remote and so girder and the USB-UIRT was required?
Old 03-10-2005, 02:48 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have 2 pvr250s and don't use their IR stuff. The UIRT and Sage handle both the remote and 2 sat boxes.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
I have 2 pvr250s and don't use their IR stuff. The UIRT and Sage handle both the remote and 2 sat boxes.
very good. extremely useful info. Thanks for your help.