SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Sage Icon

MP3 Tagging

Hey all, I have decided to do a complete update of my music library after realizing lots of my cd's were not showing up in the My music section or were all showing up under 'Various' artists (having like 90 albums show up under various is never a good thing.

the problem is is that i used musicmatch to tag the mp3's--embedded album art and all---they show up fine in musicmatch and WMP libraries, but sage can't seem to recognize them in the right location. For instance, in both WMP and musicmatch, i have no albums listed under 'Various' but in Sage--90 albums show up. If i go and check the tags of the albums showing up in 'various' they seem to be correct--hence MM and WMP filing them correctly in their libraries. But no matter what i do, i can't seem to get sage to organize them correctly. Additionally, in Sage, i have about 500 songs listed under the Album 'Single'. If i go into MM or WMP, no albums with the name single come up at all. Any help would be great.

--also, using an external media player just doesn't give me the integrated look i want.
Thanks
JUC
Old 03-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Sage User

Check that the artist field on all tracks are identical, any slight variation made them appear as various artists in sage for me.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:06 AM
Sage Icon

i have tried that but same results. However, why would any variation make them show up as various? If one song is tagged as 'Bob Marley', and another song is tagged as 'Bob Marly' shouldn't sage just place the latter into its own album instead of placing it as 'various'? I would then be able to see which artists were spelled incorrectly. But, as i mentioned, i have tried this to no avail.
JUC
Old 03-08-2005, 10:34 AM
Sage Aficionado

Do your mp3's have id3v1 or id3v2 tags? I seem to recall hearing that Sage didn't like the latter. A lot of my mp3's either don't show up, or have a bunch of wierd characters in the names. I haven't had enough motivation to worry about it though...

-Dan
Old 03-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Sage Icon

hmmm, I too remember hearing about the id3v2 tags having issues. How would i go about finding out which ones I have? And, i thought that musicmatch worked well with sage from some other posts--maybe they started using id3v2?? Any suggestions for a tagging program that is quick, easy, and with embedded album art?
Thanks
JUC
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Sage User

My guess would be because they share the same album title, I had an instance where I had two albums titled Giant Steps, one by John Coltrane and the other by The Boo Radleys, Sage in it's infinite wisdom decided they where the same album and grouped it all together as Giant Steps by Various Artists I had to prefix one album with a “.” to resolve the conflict.

Rather than a spelling difference in the Artist field MM sometimes would tag them

Bob Marley and then another Bob Marley/Peter Tosh
Old 03-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

The Godfather is your friend. It can batch Tag your MP3's, add album art, fix and rename your files, and sync your ID3V1 and ID3V2 tags. And it's donation-ware. I used this on my MP3's and it fixed all my Sage music file issues.

http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/
Old 03-08-2005, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Thank you, i remember looking into the Godfather a while back--- i will check it out now and hope i am as lucky as you are.
Thanks
JUC