SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-04-2005, 04:13 PM
Sage User

SageTV supported video types

SageTV on their main site does not appear to clarify the supported video types for playback of video or movies from imported videos. They just say standard types.

I have not been able to play standard AVI, or MPEG or MPG files so far. I believe I have downloaded numerous codec packages, but I have no idea if SageTV only uses its own or what.

Does anyone know of exactly what is supported in SageTV for playback of videos or movies so I can ensure my imported videos are in that same format? Thanks.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Sage Icon

Here's the defaults right out of the 2.2.6 properties file:

seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts

MPEG-1 files should play right out of the bag. MPEG-2 files will need an MPEG-2 decoder. Highly recommend the NVIDIA DVD/MPEG-2 decoder. AVI files aren't so simple, because they are just containers and can be a combination of pretty much any video codec and audio codec.

Are you actually seeing the files listed in SageTV, but getting playback errors.. or are you not seeing the files listed at all?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming
Old 03-04-2005, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage uses directshow to build graphs and play files, most anything that will play in Windows Media Player will play in Sage, there are a couple limitations though:

Sage supports (AFIAK) any file type that uses/provides BOTH:
Standard Directshow audio/video decoders
Standard Directshow file source and splitter filters

Sage does not support:
File types that don't use Dshow, like Real/Quicktime (although I think there are some unofficial Dshow decoders for those that might get them to work)
File types that don't use standard source and splitter filters, like WMV which uses an integrated filesource/spli
tter filter, likewise with Nero Digital.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben_dallas
Here's the defaults right out of the 2.2.6 properties file:

seeker/video_library_import_filename_extensions=.mpg,.mpeg,.mp2,.mpeg2,.mpe,.avi,.divx,.mpg1,.ts

MPEG-1 files should play right out of the bag. MPEG-2 files will need an MPEG-2 decoder. Highly recommend the NVIDIA DVD/MPEG-2 decoder. AVI files aren't so simple, because they are just containers and can be a combination of pretty much any video codec and audio codec.

Are you actually seeing the files listed in SageTV, but getting playback errors.. or are you not seeing the files listed at all?
Thanks. I am seeing the files listed in SageTV. I am using the PVR 350 TV-Out. So I am not using any video card. I have a really old video card installed just in rare cases where I need to hook up a monitor. It sounds like SageTV should play these files. In the files 2 of them say XDiv but have an AVI extension. So you are probably right about the issue of it being a container of an unknown.

I also though can't play an MPG file that was ripped from a DVD of mine. In the cases of the XDiv...one I can hear sound and no video and one errors in SageTV.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesjohn
Thanks. I am seeing the files listed in SageTV. I am using the PVR 350 TV-Out.
That's why, the PVR-350 can ONLY play standard MPEG 2 video. It's a hardware decoder and rather picky, so it's possible that even if it is MPEG-2 the 350 could choke on it if it's not standard. With the 350 Sage is NOT using directshow, this is not a limitation of Sage, it's a limitation of the PVR-350.

If you want to play anything but MPEG2 you need to use something else. The Xcard is a little better, supporting DivX, but a video card, and therefore directshow playback, is the only way you'll be able to play anything.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
The Xcard is a little better, supporting DivX
Yes & no: while the Xcard can play DivX, DVDs, and whatever else it supports, you can only use it to play MPEG2 files within SageTV so far. You really have to go with a video card if you want more versatility.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the info.