SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Sage Icon

Unhappy Quartz.dll issues...

OK, most of you are aware of the quartz.dll swap to fix the ff/rw bug within Sage... Although this hack seems to work, I've discovered some negative side effects that have me questioning the situation again.

When attempting to us TheaterTek DVD in exclusive fullscreen renderless mode, it screws up, shrinks the video playback. I was told by them that I need to be running the newer version of the quartz.dll file.

I just swapped in a GF FX 5500 in place of my GF MX 440. I now have the option for pixel adaptive deinterlacing. However this too is screwed up as a result of the older quartz.dll file. It doesn't deinterlace properly at all, however median filtering does fine.

Both of the issues I've confirmed go away with the use of the newer quartz.dll.

So it's been quite a long time since the initial ff/rw problem surfaced, without any fixes issued from microsoft. This leaves me believing that although the quartz.dll file changed, it was a change for the better to take care of newer features.

So, why then, hasn't Frey addressed this issue and coded Sage to be compatible with the changed quartz.dll??

Any comments appreciated.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:31 AM
Sage User

I don't have a clue...I downloaded the quartz.zip and installed over the 9.0c file then rebooted and ran dxdiag which showed that 9.0c was still loaded. Maybe it just doesn't see the change but you are having issues I have not seen yet. Maybe with more experiance I will understand them.
best of luck
Old 03-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Sage Icon

Well I've been testing the pixel adaptive deinterlacing with the proper original quartz.dll for the last day or so... All I can say is that without considering the annoying ff/rw bug, the picture quality is superb. So good and improved from when using the older quartz.dll, infact, that I'm considering living with this ff/rw bug.

It would really be nice to see a fix for this in the next version of sage. It seems completely iresponsible to be ignoring this for so long. Considering TheaterTek can ff and rw perfectly fine, there must be a fix in the code that is possible. It seems that something about how deinterlacing is done through the quartz.dll file has changed, but sage hasn't been changed to follow it.

This fix and exclusive renderless is so absolute high on my list for what rightly should be included in the 2.2.X version before it goes gold.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
Considering TheaterTek can ff and rw perfectly fine, there must be a fix in the code that is possible.
Do you ever watch video content in TT? Film content probably wouldn't be affected by this bug.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Sage Icon

I don't see this bug at all in theatertek... Playback is a dream. The picture quality looks amazing. But I don't have skip foward and skip back buttons, so I don't know if it's a good comparison.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:20 PM
SageTVaholic

That doesn't answer the question, do you view video content in TT? Ie do you view Sage recordings in TT? The quartz bug is a deinterlacing issue, and film DVDs don't need or use deinterlacing. DVDs play back just fine for me in Sage, even though I do see the issue with Sage recordings.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah... I am of course comparing apples to apples... I wouldn't expect my testing to be very accurate comparing interlaced to non-interlaced material.

I am opening Sage recodings in Theatertek, using the same Nvidia DVD decoder settings.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Just making sure
Old 03-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Sage Icon

If Sage playback could acheive the quality I am seeing in theatertek, I would definately be a happy camper... Actually, before they impliment exclusive fullscreen mode, a fix for the skip forward/skip back bug would be good right away.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Administrator

About all I can add to the conversation is a reminder that if you feel there is a problem somewhere, the best thing to do is to file a bug report, if you haven't already done so. There is a chance Frey won't see it if it is only mentioned in the forum.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
Well I've been testing the pixel adaptive deinterlacing with the proper original quartz.dll for the last day or so... All I can say is that without considering the annoying ff/rw bug, the picture quality is superb. So good and improved from when using the older quartz.dll, infact, that I'm considering living with this ff/rw bug.

Same here. I recently redid my system and got it working on my 9600 its just like normal TV now except the ff/rw bug. The good thing however with me is that it seems to go away after a minute or two of playing, either that or my eyes just get used to it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Sage Icon

I'm starting to experience similar issues with the new TheaterTek DVD due to the older quartz.dll. I'll go ahead and submit this as a bug report. Maybe some day this quartz ugliness will all get resolved.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Sage Icon

It's rediculas how amazing the file I record in Sage playback in TheaterTek. I can fast forward, rewind, skip forward, skip backwards, all perfectly. Not the mention the exclusive fullscreen rendering looks even sharper. So not only does this form of rendering releave stress enough to eliminate tearing, but it also produces such a superior image.

It seems easy for me to believe that this is not incredibly difficult to impliment. Considering TheaterTek is a small company, Sage should have the resources to take care of this.

Maybe exclusive fullscreen would take a little time, but this ff/rw bug had been around forever. Even though there was a hack to get around it, that's no justification for thowing it on the back burner.

Since the quartz.dll swap is now affecting our ability to use other software to it's full potential, there is no fix. Besides, getting Sage to work properly as is with the newer quartz.dll leads to better deinterlacing with pixel adaptive, as I have witnessed from trying it.

Come on... all these problems and feature requests with Frey's main application are still hanging around, yet it seems weve all possibly taken a back seat to new endevours.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Just so you know I have TheaterTek as well and I ran a bunch of tests the other day and FullScreen mode does not remove the FF/RW bug in TT. YUV Mixing Mode removed the bug for me. TT only shrunk video playback for me when I was playing an XviD file not on DVDs when using the older quartz.dll. And the shrinking only happened in Fullscreen mode I think.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

I've only used YUV from the start. And MPG from sage playback shrunk for me, as mentioned on TT site.

What about pixel adaptive deinterlacing? With the old quartz.dll file I was unable to use it, since it wasn't deinterlacing properly. But with the regular newer one it looks pretty good, assuming you play with ff/rw until the choppiness stops.

I wonder what it would take for Frey to add YUV mode??????