SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Sage User

Unhappy IR Blaster control - Doesn't work. What nex?

My first post... geee..

Ok, got my STV setup running quite nicely under my new HTPC. It's a Pentium 3Ghz w/1GB RAM, buckets of HD space (ok, only 400 GB, but I'm working on it.), and XP-Pro. So everything's going great, therefore it's time for something to go terribly wrong: IR control from the PVR-150 card doesn't appear to want to work. I'm running a Samsumng SIR-T160 reviever for OTA and DirecTV. This is quite depressing...... is the Sammy reciever not compatable? There's a listing for it in the code selection of the IR setup. I know the IR wire works because signals are getting into the card via the remote and the blaster is flashing, but it's just not got the right code. I've gone through the regular trials and tribulations for troubleshooting this thing (including d/l the latest version of the IR program and codes), but I just can't seem to find a reason as to why it's not working.

Anyone else have this same reciever? Has anyone else had similar problems? Is there a way to learn codes into the system? I have a Pronto (NG3000) and am fairly adept at programming it, so I can only assume I'm at an appropriate level to program other IR gizmos. Is the horse dead and should I look into getting an external IR component and other software (IR Man + Girder)? Is there a solution I'm missing? I can't seem to find anything in the search around here with similar problems/hardware. I've been at this for three days now with no luck!

Thanks in advance, gang.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Sage Icon

I can't help with the PVR 150's blaster, I know nothing about it.

If you are going to get something else, definately go for the USB-Uirt. It works perfectly in Sage and can recieve and transmitted almost anything. Plus if you've got the pronto codes for the Sammy then you can plug those right in for the USB-Uirt. Perhaps the 150's IR blaster works in a similar way??
Old 02-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Sage User

Hopefully I can help you with my setup. I have directv's regular box , the D10 model. I control that box through a telephones handset cord, on the back of the box its labeled low speed data. Check out this link and you will see the info on the adapter you need and you need to find out if your box can utilize this.

http://www.dtvcontrol.com/

Now for controlling this badboy, I'm sure most of us on here are using this keyboard is the Lite on wireless IR keyboard. It comes with a IR reciever that plugs right in through the ps/2. After this all I did was program my Pronto tsu2000 to learn the desired keys.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-107-114&depa=0

For my frontend I use Sage tv which supports controls for the low speed data.
Hopefully that can help you out.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheemer
I can't help with the PVR 150's blaster, I know nothing about it.

If you are going to get something else, definately go for the USB-Uirt. It works perfectly in Sage and can recieve and transmitted almost anything. Plus if you've got the pronto codes for the Sammy then you can plug those right in for the USB-Uirt. Perhaps the 150's IR blaster works in a similar way??
Hmmmm..... well, I guess I could do that. It's just depressing that the IR blaster doesn't work even though it's supposed to be supported and that I'll have to be p***ing away yet another $50!

I don't know if I can 'import' the codes into the 150's blaster; there's no tech support (i.e. docs) regarding that ability. I've got an email into Happague's email support but have not recieved a reply yet.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by footmasta
Hopefully I can help you with my setup. I have directv's regular box , the D10 model. I control that box through a telephones handset cord, on the back of the box its labeled low speed data. Check out this link and you will see the info on the adapter you need and you need to find out if your box can utilize this.

http://www.dtvcontrol.com/

Now for controlling this badboy, I'm sure most of us on here are using this keyboard is the Lite on wireless IR keyboard. It comes with a IR reciever that plugs right in through the ps/2. After this all I did was program my Pronto tsu2000 to learn the desired keys.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...-107-114&depa=0

For my frontend I use Sage tv which supports controls for the low speed data.
Hopefully that can help you out.
This would be great, BUT there's no data port. There's only a telephone port in the rear. Drat. It appears I have two options:

1) USB-UIRT = $50 + lotsa work.
2) Get another tuner that is supported = $250 + no work

On top of that, I'd have to figure out what works best for option 2. I'm assuming I can get option 1 to work without much problem.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Using a USB-UIRT to control the box shouldn't be that difficult: just run through the Setup Wizard & teach it the 0-9 codes when it asks for them. (Making sure it learned the proper codes might be another story at times, but you can reteach the codes in Source Details.)

For now, I would stick with your previous comment of talking to Hauppauge about using their blaster to control your box. Once that is set correctly, I think SageTV should just be able to use it... though, like many others, I haven't actually used a 150's blaster.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM
Sage User

I just fought through some similar troubles with my IR Remote Blaster and my Dish 301.

I have to assume that you've tried the IR Blaster setup that comes with the Hauppauge card. I found that their "classification" of external tuners is really weird.

My recommendation is run that tool and tell it to test all settings and record the number of any setting that turns your tuner off or on.

Then go back and check each setting and see if they work. Once you've found one that tunes reliably you should be able to save your settings and have some success.

Note: We found with the 301 (and apparently it's pretty common) to use the "RepeatCount 10" in the *.ir file used for your tuner. Once you've got it doing some basic tuning work - let us know and we'll help some more.

Wholly
Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhollyMindless
I just fought through some similar troubles with my IR Remote Blaster and my Dish 301.

I have to assume that you've tried the IR Blaster setup that comes with the Hauppauge card. I found that their "classification" of external tuners is really weird.

My recommendation is run that tool and tell it to test all settings and record the number of any setting that turns your tuner off or on.

Then go back and check each setting and see if they work. Once you've found one that tunes reliably you should be able to save your settings and have some success.

Note: We found with the 301 (and apparently it's pretty common) to use the "RepeatCount 10" in the *.ir file used for your tuner. Once you've got it doing some basic tuning work - let us know and we'll help some more.

Wholly
None of this appeared to work. I went through 502 codes and gave up after an hour. I have no idea what the *.IR file is (I'm assuming it's like an INI file for the IR codes) and I'm not really willing to fiddle with it. It's my opinion that fiddling with such files is good for tweaking but not for fixing blatant problems.

I just don't understand why my 2 year old series 2 TiVo can control it but the Happague card can't. Add to that it's been well over 24 hours and I've gotten no response from Happague tech support. I guess this is shades of things to follow; I won't be buying Happague hardware any more.

I s'pose I'm off to order a USB-IRT. What a rot.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:41 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
SageTV should just be able to use it... though, like many others, I haven't actually used a 150's blaster.
What is everyone using? Serial control or direct cable line in? I can't do either, really. The point about my reciever is that it takes all signals and converts them over to 480i, including the HD channels I get on SAT and OTA. I'm getting a HD tuner card for OTA stuff, but without being able to output down-converted HD channels (UHD, HDNet, ESPN-HD, etc.), I'll miss out on a bunch of stuff.

Then again, the reason I go my HD package was to watch NHL on HDNet.... don't even get me started on what a shaggup that was this year. I guess I'll just dump my HD package and see about Time Warner cable. Do I need a converter box for it here in Houston if I don't do pay-per-views or HD packages? If I don't, I may just go for that and bugger DirecTV. They just upped my bill anyways (I guess to pay for all the commercials they've been spewing out lately).
Old 02-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

Since the PVR 150 is a rather new addition to Hauppauges lineup of tuner cards, you can expect it to take a while for all the quirks to be worked out. Anyone that bought a PVR 250 a while ago can attest to that.

Ask anyone who's setting up an HTPC though, it usually take a lot longer than a day to get through issues. I'm sure there is a solution somehow for your problem.

A side note though, since only on PVR 150 IR blaster works per machine: If you were ever planning on adding additional tuners to your setup you'd need to buy another blaster anyways. You can't go wrong with a USB-Uirt, at least you'll be up and running shortly after you recieve it. And it can support control of three devices with it's zone feature.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Sage User

Oh, I'm not impatient. I've waited about a year for hardware prices to come down, taken about 2 weeks to physically put the HTPC together, and tested 3 front ends before finally landing on SAGE (I won't even get into the hair-pulling I went through for my HD OTA tuner card!). Having to wait another week or so for more hardware won't freak me out, it's just bad that this is the only problem I've not been able to fix out of the dozen or so I've had. Like I said, a real rot.

The only question I've got regarding the USB-IRT: what steps are involved? Is it 2 or 3 steps or is it 10? This makes a big difference to me since the more steps there are the more likely there is to be a mistake. Is it just a matter of (for lack of a better word) aliasing commands from SAGE to the USB-IRT, or am I going to have to get a copy of Girder as well? Again, I don't mind making the investment in time/money, but I'd like to know that this is a pretty solid solution that your average bayman can do with a bit of know-how.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Sage Icon

Sage has native support for it, so no Girder needed. The process I took was:

Plugged in the USB-Uirt
Installed the driver
Disabled service mode
Launch Sage, setup source, select usb-uirt when prompted
Teach 1-9 and Enter to Sage by using the remote for the STB pointed at the Uirt.

That's it... I had to slightly adjust the timing between codes and channels though Sage to have the channel send as quickly as possible.

You can also use the USB-Uirt to receive commands to control Sage. This way you can use the best of the remotes you have lying around. Many times any of those are better than the Hauppauge one. Unless you've already got the pronto taking care of this.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Sage Expert

I am successfully controlling a Samsung TS-160 with a USB-UIRT. Setting up and using the USB-UIRT should be fairly simple. You have to be somewhat particular in teaching the stb's codes (for numerals, dash and "select") but it works as expected. Yes, when you add the $50 cost onto the cost of Sage it makes you want to hesitate and be certain it will work. Fortunately, it does.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:20 PM
Sage User

Well, shaggit..... I should be getting the USB-UIRT early next week. Once I get this working I guess I'll now be getting into TT DVD player, FFDSHOW, MDP-130 card, fanless coolers.... I can feel the grey hairs just a-poppin' up! Thanks for the input gang.