SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Sage Expert

ROKU Photobridge HD

Does anyone know if there's been any effort to get Sage to work with this product in the same way as efforts around the MediaMVP?

http://www.rokulabs.com/products/photobridge/

I've searched around and haven't found anything. It's gotten much cheaper then it used to be (thought still not as cheap as the MediaMVP, which I have one of.) It's got much better quality connectivity then the MediaMVP and seems to have a good user community and a pretty good active developer and can get data (pics, music, videos) off of windows or windows compatible shares, without having to route the connection through a server.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 05:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Not that I'm aware of. But it would be cool
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Sage Icon

With the new x-card plugin being user-developed, it seems promising for other devices to be supported.

Problem is that it'll take a determined user who either owns or has access to a Roku Photobridge. Do you know any?

Setup a general poll/post and see how much interest you can get together. Not to discourage you, but I don't think many users around here have that device.

I'd recommend you check out the MVP, or just build a client box. Or, take an old laptop and repurpose it. That's what I'm doing when I retire my current laptop.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:46 PM
Sage Icon

Once Sage steps into the HD age, the Roku becomes a very interesting client platform, until then, I think there is little to justify the additional cost over a MVP. Now if it also included an optical drive, then it could replace my livingroom client machine... Hmmmm....
Old 02-14-2005, 09:31 PM
Sage Icon

I would be much more interested in a Pinnacle Showcenter native client, as it supports hardware Divx plaqyback... As well as component and digital audio outputs...

Jason
Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Sage Fanatic

The Showcenter is the same price as the Roku and the Roku plays HD TV.
For my money I would rather have HD playback than DIVX. Especially since the Show Center appears from the specs to only support 480i output.

John
Old 02-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
With the new x-card plugin being user-developed, it seems promising for other devices to be supported.

Problem is that it'll take a determined user who either owns or has access to a Roku Photobridge. Do you know any?

Setup a general poll/post and see how much interest you can get together. Not to discourage you, but I don't think many users around here have that device.

I'd recommend you check out the MVP, or just build a client box. Or, take an old laptop and repurpose it. That's what I'm doing when I retire my current laptop.
I have a Roku Photobridge, and would LOVE to have Sage support for it. I'd definitely be willing to help Beta any support for it.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:53 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, well, I don't plan on having an HDTV for MANY years, so I would prefer Divx support.

Of course the day I got an HDTV my story would change...

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptaz
The Showcenter is the same price as the Roku and the Roku plays HD TV.
For my money I would rather have HD playback than DIVX. Especially since the Show Center appears from the specs to only support 480i output.

John
Old 02-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

I don't have a Roku (yet ) but I would buy one if Sage would work with this (and if Sage suddenly starts supporting HD ... I can always hope )

One note about the ShowCenter. Pinnacle has a REALLY bad reputation for dropping support for their hardware devices shortly after their release. On the other hand, the team behind Roku is the same team that designed the original ReplayTV (the very first consumer grade PVR ... not TiVo as many think) ... so I would put my money for Roku over ShowCenter any day of the week.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Sage Icon

I agre that Piunnale isn't the best company. However, the Showcenter has been out for well over a year and they are still actively supporting it.

Don't get me wrong, the Roku looks interesting. But if I'm buying a new set top box I want Divx support, period.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipto
I don't have a Roku (yet ) but I would buy one if Sage would work with this (and if Sage suddenly starts supporting HD ... I can always hope )

One note about the ShowCenter. Pinnacle has a REALLY bad reputation for dropping support for their hardware devices shortly after their release. On the other hand, the team behind Roku is the same team that designed the original ReplayTV (the very first consumer grade PVR ... not TiVo as many think) ... so I would put my money for Roku over ShowCenter any day of the week.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Sage Icon

Another neat option would be a Momitsu V880N. It would also have local DVD.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Sage Expert

Another very interesting contender in this space is

this device

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=18

Brand new, just hitting stores this past week. Amazing specs but a little hard to get all details at this point.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Sage Icon

That looks pretty nifty. Who wants one?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Sage Icon

Hmmm... $310. Not bad fror WMV & HD WMV + DIVX (which is what I really need).

I am seriously thinking of getting one.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Crusher
this device

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=18

Brand new, just hitting stores this past week. Amazing specs but a little hard to get all details at this point.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 06:09 PM
Sage Icon

I think I would consider anything that replaces the MVP. Dont get me wrong, I love the MVP, but it is a little slow and semi limited! Matt, go buy one of these devices and adapt it to sage!

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Sage Icon

I would like to see him get Sage running on the Roku. With the latest Beta firmware the thing actually works for video now. The built in stuff is limited, but there are some 3rd party apps, most notably Mplay, that do a great job with Sage's recordings.
So right now you can play the recordings, but there's no interface for interacting with Sage directly to set up recordings, favorites, watched, dislike, etc.

I'd be very happy to do Beta Testing of the Sage interface with Roku.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

I would be curious to know how the video playback quality compares to Sage at 720p or 1080i?

HC
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Sage Icon

Unfortunately I can't tell you anything about that. I don't have my Sage machine anywhere near a TV and I've been using the Hauppauge Media MVP and/or the Roku to play back the files.

Right now the way I've got the Roku hooked up to the AV receiver it's only doing 480p. I've got to take a look at my HDTV, the AV Receiver and the Roku to see if I've got the right combo of connections to get 1080I to the monitor.

I just threw the Roku back on the system this afternoon. The version of the firmware that was available when I bought the Roku was unusable (my opinion) for video playback with the firmware and the software (both Roku and 3rd party) available at the time.
There were a lot of problems with audio synching which some people didn't think was that bad, but I found totally unwatchable.

They recently have gone to V2 Beta firmware and at least one of the 3rd party software options looks very promising. In limited testing this afternoon I noticed no audio synch problems at all. To be honest I think it was a lot more to do with the work they did on the firmware since even the built in Roku player now looks very good also.

I'll also have to do some tweaking of the Hauppauge cards again. I had to do some major color calibration (mostly brightness and saturation) to make acceptable recordings to view on the Media MVP. Looks like I'll have to do all that work again to get them up to snuff on the Roku. On the Roku they look much more like what I'm seeing on the PVR machine's computer monitor so I'll probably have to "undo" much of the tweaking I did to make it workable on the Media MVP.

Last edited by waynedunham; 02-24-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchucky
I would be curious to know how the video playback quality compares to Sage at 720p or 1080i?

HC
FWIW, Sage (with nVidia decoders on a 6800 in DXVA mode) compares very favorably with my MyHD MDP-130.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Sage Fanatic

Do you have the MyHD MDP-130?

EDIT: Duh you said "my" MyHD MDP-130...

Does it allow playback and recording at the same time?