SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Continuing to be plagued with end of file CPU spikes…

Is there any word on this being fixed? I’m still able to repro it quite often (usually not on purpose). At the end of a show if I fail to take action it’ll often lock up and the screen will show “snow” for a minute or so and then it’ll snap back – I can then go in and delete the show but what I’m finding is that if there’s another program recording on that receiver, the entire recording “stutters” badly – if I stop that recording and force it to restart it becomes normal. I’ve reproed this specific series of events about 4 or 5 times in the last week.

I’m using a Hauppauge cards, I’ve updated to the latest drivers long ago, I’m running 2.2.4 Sage (I don’t see anything in 2.2.5 specific to this). I’ve tried running at high priority and normal priority, same deal. I’ve tried the basic SVT and the Ultimate SVT (with the automatic deletion at end of show option) – same behavior. This is getting pretty frustrating…

I’ve just worked around this by padding the end of all my recordings with lots of space and making sure I’m there to respond when the show ends. This is eating into my WAF value in a big way, however, as she’ll leave shows running while puttering around and it causes all kinds of grief.

I’ve reported this but no response – searching out here it appears many folks are running into this or similar “end of file” issues – I’m just curious if this is being actively looked into or being written off as “fluke” behavior or punted to Hauppauge’s camp or what? Doing some basic tests on a test box with Beyond TV and a Hauppauge 150 I’m not having the same problem. This leads me to believe it’s not something that can be laid at Hauppauge’s feet…
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Sage Icon

If you are using different hardware for you comparison it's not exactly a proper test. Are you using you're 350's out?
Old 02-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't have an extra 350 to throw in the test box so I can't do that without using my "production" server for it.

It seems to me there can easily be an option added to stop playback, say, 10 seconds from the end of the file and drop you into the detailed view so you can delete it or archive it or whatever - just as long as the playback doesn't run right to the end this should fly.

I had hoped the Cayars STV would do this but it waits till the very end before popping the menu and so the CPU is already hammering the box and trashing other recordings in progress when this happens. Maybe I'll go beg him to make a change here and see if it worked.

I just can't believe there isn't some easy work around to this other than casually pointing the finger at the hardware vendor and shrugging your shoulders... Reports of this stretch back for many months and I haven't seen anything in response other than suggesting you run at a higher priority (I am).
Basement: HD Extender connected to Dell projector.
Back room: MVP 1000 hooked to 21" CRT TV.
Bedroom: MVP 1000 hooked to 27" CRT TV.