SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try it out, like I said I just want to see a clear picture, if it studders not a big deal as I will then purchase a 6800 or something.

Jpatz? How is the Xcard on a DLP TV? I'm assuming you are using the component out it?

Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Sage Fanatic

Actually I am using it on my 32" CRT at 1080i using component. There is a bit of analog noise in the picture and in another thread some one noted that the picture did not look very good on a bigger screen. The quality is about the same as I am used to from the distances I watch on my TV, but it is definitely a bit nasty looking up close. But I prefer the no stuttering and smooth video play back for now. I am hoping that Frey will release support for a HD Capable Media Extender like the Roku or the Buffalo Tech Device.

Though at this point I am considering setting up a new Windows XP MCE 2005 box with two FushionHDTV3 Cards so that I can record HDTV. Apparently a number of users on the AVSForum have been able to do this despite the fact that MS claims only one HD Card can be used by MCE 2005. That kind of approach will cost me a pretty penny since I need to get a pretty good PC to be able to do that. But I have to return my current client PC to work since I am going to a new job. I am hoping that my old AMD XP 2000+ and 512 MB ram will be enough to do that. I imagine it should be from what I have read on the AVSforum.

John
Old 02-25-2005, 02:28 PM
Sage Aficionado

Now I don't mean to be rude here but you were commenting on how a 5200 card would work on a 52" DLP TV and you don't even have one??
Old 02-25-2005, 02:31 PM

5200 outputting 720p (this reolution is currently supported by nVidias drivers) via DVI would work fine on a DLP. For Sage though you will need to user Overlay. For MCE it works fine too (neighbor runs with that combo).
Old 02-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Kevthor,

You asked if the DVI would be better and I was commenting on how it would look compared to an SVideo, which I clearly stated in my previous post looked similar to your experience when using any SVideo input except my DVD player with the ghosting.

I never stated that it would look good with Video, which has more to do with Decoder than DVI/Component/VGA/SVideo or other inteface. I can put my nose on the glass on my TV and see perfect still images, well defined edges on text and such. Using the Svideo out does not look as good even 10 feet away, reguardless of whether it is my PC or Media MVP.

I would go as far as to say any card with a DVI output would look 1000% better than an SVideo on any display with a good DVI interface. Whether video playback will look good is dependant on so many things it is more important to specify what you are doing.

Your question had to DO with SVIDEO GHOSTING and asked if DVI would improve it. I answered that honestly, while maybe it would have been better if I Stated right away that I only have HD 32" CRT, but that is not relevant to the quality of the output type.

A Svideo cable with an analog signal only carrying a 720x480 interlaced image will look like crap on almost all HD TVs because it relies on scaling to 1280 x 720 progressive internally and usually is very cheap on every set I have seen from my sub $1000 32" CRT HDTV to $5000 DLP or LCOS HD Ready Sets. DVI carries a digital signal, thus less prone to noise, and actually can carry the full Native Resolution to the set what ever that maybe. In the case of your DLP that is probably 1280x720P.

John
Old 02-25-2005, 03:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

mlbdude,

Does your neighbor have an HD Tuner card that he is using with MCE? What speed is his processor and how much memory? What Decoder is he using?

I want to get MCE and an HD Tuner and if I do not need to get a better video card than my 5200 I won't...$200+ for a video card seems a bit pricey to me for non gaming usage.

Thanks,
John