SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Let me know.
At 4.6GB (4600000000) and 3 shows X 2.3GB each it DID work. So, a compression limit must be getting hit somewhere?

I guess the trick is finding where and then preventing a user from compressing past a certain point before the burn process begins (error / warning).

So so far, I know that 9.2GB wont work, but 6.9GB will work on a 4.6GB sized media.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Sage Expert

I made a dvd for a friend a couple of days ago using the latest DVDBurner. It was 3 hour long shows using compression so it was probably 9gb compressed down to 4.6. It did do the compression but apparantly, all of the shows were cutoff at the half hour mark. I haven't had time to check this against other burns but has anybody seen that the compression actually preserves the whole show and doesn't just cut it off? Or was mine just a weird quirk?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
I made a dvd for a friend a couple of days ago using the latest DVDBurner. It was 3 hour long shows using compression so it was probably 9gb compressed down to 4.6. It did do the compression but apparantly, all of the shows were cutoff at the half hour mark. I haven't had time to check this against other burns but has anybody seen that the compression actually preserves the whole show and doesn't just cut it off? Or was mine just a weird quirk?
Thats funny - I have not actually WATCHED anything I recorded yet. I just assumed it would be OK if it burned.

I will check some of my DVDs.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciccone
At 4.6GB (4600000000) and 3 shows X 2.3GB each it DID work. So, a compression limit must be getting hit somewhere?

I guess the trick is finding where and then preventing a user from compressing past a certain point before the burn process begins (error / warning).

So so far, I know that 9.2GB wont work, but 6.9GB will work on a 4.6GB sized media.
I had a feeling it would be something like this. I guess some command line testing is in order.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hey, you said you wanted it smaller.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Sage Icon

I might also try another compression program and see how it works in comparison. Stay tuned.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Something is 100% wrong with the compression calculations Carlo. I went back to a 4700000000 (4.7GB) and I ended up with a 3.7GB ISO. Same shows 2.31GB X 3 shows.

Totally confused on what the pattern is...
Old 01-20-2005, 11:38 AM
Sage Expert

I can confirm that all of my dvd's are getting chopped instead of compressed.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

I don't think it the DVDBurner app messing up but the external program. Here is what goes on inside the EXE after everything has been demuxed to the "\working" directory and the menu file has been added.

1) Take the MaxSize of the DVD passed in from the STV and multiply it by 0.976. This allows for a little overhead.
2) Calculate the TotalSize of everything in the \working directory.
3) Print the value to screen
4) Check to see if Compression should run. i.e. If TotalSize > MaxSize
5) Calculate the total size of all video files ".mpv" (VideoSize)
6) Calculate the NonVideoSize. NonVideoSize=TotalSize-VideoSize
7) Compute the size we are over the DVD MaxSize (BytesOverDVDAmount = TotalSize - DVDMaxSize)
8) Computer the Compression % (CompressionPercent = VideoSize / (VideoSize - BytesOverDVDAmount) )

The value CompressionPercent above is what is passed to the external program.

From a pure mathamatical standpoind it shouldn't matter if we are compressing 1 file or 5 files as the CompressionPercent should be the same.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Phil, in your journeys have you done a comparison of the starting file MPV to the ending file to see if it maches the compression percentage being shown?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Sage Expert

this might help...with my problem at least

I recorded 3 1-hour long shows onto a dvd and 1 1-hour long show to a dvd. I had compression on for both shows, even though the 1 hour long show was only 2.98gbs. In both cases, it chopped off the each individual show at the half hour mark (roughly...29:48 for one, 29:56 for another)

I'm going to try running the 1 1hour long show wihtout compression and see what happens. It could be that my problem is extraneous of compression
Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Sage Expert

I posted my burn of a 1 1-hour long show.

-I actually had compression enabled but it seems like it didn't actually run the compression...thats good

-Seems like it deleted the working directory, created the working directory, deleted the wokring directory and created it again. I'm thinking one of those has to be extraneous

-While mine actually produced a working ISO, i'm wondering if others aren't experiencing problems (on the other thread) because of the fact that the CLI for videoredo explicitly states the .mpv file but not the .mpa file.

CLI: videoredo.cmd "D:\TV\LawOrder-Fluency-3455184-0.mpg" "D:\TEMP\working\title1-0.mpv"

-After all that, I still got my hour long show chopped to half an hour. I think i have an explanation though i don't want to admit it. Might the problem be that VideoRedo, in trial version, only makes half hour shows? I hope thats not the problem and maybe you can check up on that...
Attached Files
File Type: txt debug.txt (3.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Sage Icon

I changed the internal functionality of how the program handles "dual" directories. Internally, everything is set to work with 2 working directories. So even if you are only using one, it internally uses them as two. Hence the reason you see cleanup happen twice. Besides showing it in the log file it doesn't hurt anything.

VDR trial mode. Yup, I bet that is it.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
After all that, I still got my hour long show chopped to half an hour. I think i have an explanation though i don't want to admit it. Might the problem be that VideoRedo, in trial version, only makes half hour shows? I hope thats not the problem and maybe you can check up on that...
The VRD trial will limit output to 30 minutes unless you register as a trial user (free). If you register, they'll send you a trial key that gives you full functionality for 21 days. That will also prevent the VRD trial dialog box from popping up in the middle of a DVDBurner run.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit, i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, 2TB and 4TB SATA HDD's
SageTV v9.1.2.662, SageTV7.xml STV, Java v1.8.0_121
Server operating headless with 3 HD300 extenders as clients
Two HDHomeRun Primes (6 tuners) with 20170512beta1 firmware
Comcast cable TV, two cablecards in HDHRP's
OpenDCT 0.5.28 network encoder
Old 01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Sage Icon

I just set my Commercial Cut to Disabled and did a test burn.

I get /cutter=disabled in my log file.

So it could be that I've hanged something to fix this but I don't recall doing this. Anyway, this is on Cayars18TestB which you don't have.

I just got done making some other changes to fix a couple of other things so I'm going to package this up and get it uploaded. Test B of the STV should be up in a half hour or so.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
From a pure mathamatical standpoind it shouldn't matter if we are compressing 1 file or 5 files as the CompressionPercent should be the same.
My compression percent is 1.594400 according to M2VRequantiser

Is that 1.59% higher, or shrink 59% or --- So what would that do to a 2.31GB file?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Phil, in your journeys have you done a comparison of the starting file MPV to the ending file to see if it maches the compression percentage being shown?
I just did

- MPV files are now at about 1.25GB. MPA files are around 253K each.

- Original size (audio/video) of MPG is 2.42GB (I am rounding these numbers from the bytes display so they are slighly off).

- Compression reports 1.59% so....
2.42 X .59 = 1.428GB vs. 1.25GB video + 253K audio = 1.5GB

So, I am using rough math here BUT it seems correct? 1.5GB X 3 = 4.5GB + overhead.

This is the current job running now. Let me see what the ISO size ends up being when its done. Its authoring the ISO now.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Sage Icon

pciccone, check out message 149 which shows exactly how it's determined.

BTW, I just uploaded Cayars18TestB so anyone on the VIP list should upgrade. This fixes the /workdir2 issue and the /cutter works too.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
pciccone, check out message 149 which shows exactly how it's determined.

BTW, I just uploaded Cayars18TestB so anyone on the VIP list should upgrade. This fixes the /workdir2 issue and the /cutter works too.
I am barking up the wrong tree so to speak. Turns out the DVD that was 1GB too small is non-playable.

This means I have a different problem somewhere not relating to compression.

2 good, 1 bad - 66% success
Old 01-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I just did

- MPV files are now at about 1.25GB. MPA files are around 253K each.

- Original size (audio/video) of MPG is 2.42GB (I am rounding these numbers from the bytes display so they are slighly off).

- Compression reports 1.59% so....
2.42 X .59 = 1.428GB vs. 1.25GB video + 253K audio = 1.5GB

So, I am using rough math here BUT it seems correct? 1.5GB X 3 = 4.5GB + overhead.

This is the current job running now. Let me see what the ISO size ends up being when its done. Its authoring the ISO now.
Looks like you got the math right "roughly"