SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hmm... Seems kinda strange that it would fix the problem for me, but not for you...
Old 01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Sage Expert

interesting, i got the bbdmux to work on another file that mpgtx did not work on
so...some success

so maybe we should switch to bbdmux now?

EDIT:

I just want to say that none of this makes sense. I googled demuxers and from what I can tell, nobody seems to be having the same problems on the audio side of things, only video. I've only read a little bit on it, but there doesn't seem to be any reason why mpgtx or bbdmux can't extract a dvd compliant audio from an mpeg file with dvd compliant audio.

One of those rants thats directed at computers personified.

Last edited by abasu2003; 01-13-2005 at 07:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyRex
Well, looks like you succeeded in narrowing down the problem... Here is the output from mplex:

EDIT: Moved mplex output to attachment

So where does that leave us? I tried playing the resulting .mpg and it looked fine, although the audio may have been off a few millisecs...
So for you the switch to bbdmux works on the file that mpgtx does not correct?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thats right, used the same file both time. I haven't tried it on more files, but if you want me to I can. I have no urgency to getting DVD burning working right now, but if you need me to check anything let me know.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
interesting, i got the bbdmux to work on another file that mpgtx did not work on
so...some success

so maybe we should switch to bbdmux now?
I had code in DVDBurner to use bbdmux but pulled it out and switched to mpgtx because it was faster. I can't remember off hand but I think I had an mpg that had sync errors in it too but I'm not sure if this was with bbdmux on not.

If you guys can spare of few more CPU cycles try using bbdmux to demux a couple of files and then remux them back to mpgs using mplex and see if they still play ok without any sync errors.

Sounds like we may be adding this option back again.
Quote:
EDIT:

I just want to say that none of this makes sense. I googled demuxers and from what I can tell, nobody seems to be having the same problems on the audio side of things, only video. I've only read a little bit on it, but there doesn't seem to be any reason why mpgtx or bbdmux can't extract a dvd compliant audio from an mpeg file with dvd compliant audio.

One of those rants thats directed at computers personified.
Actually I think you nailed it here. I think something may/could be a little wrong with some of the embedded audio files that SageTV is saving. Maybe this could be PVR driver related. Maybe we should compare capture boards/driver versions and see if there is anything in common to the problems.

I wonder if it would help if we drop the audio back to 256K instead of 384K? I don't think it's going to make much difference from a pure HTPC point of view, but it's possible the 384K sound channel is borderline for this stuff working.

I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:14 PM
Sage Icon

Anyone experiencing problems with the DVDBurner may want to try DVDStyler located here: http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

This program uses many of same tools that the DVDBurner does. This may help diagnose some problems as it can log the entire run/process into a debug.txt file which can be looked at after a failure has occured.

It would also be interested to find out if any files that are a problem for DVDBurner will work in DVDStyler.

Carlo
Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Sage User

DVD Burner C or D

How do you explain that Cayars DVD Burner either C or D (the one you took off the forum) worked fine for me. THen when this was changed to DVD Burner E, it didn't work. What was different between the 2?
Old 01-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Sage Icon

D added error logging detection but I had commented out some lines of code in my testing.
E I uncommented the 3 lines of code so DeMux would be called and I also undid a couple of detection routines as they aren't needed/wanted in a couple of delete routines.

Nothing major at all. If E isn't working I'd probably think it's more to do with the files themselves and not the app based on what we're seeing.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, to further confuse matters, I just tried the two methods on the same mpg file:

1 - Burn DVD from Sage, then close Burn DVD and manually run mplex.exe on the demuxes files

2 - Use BBDemux.exe to demux, and then ran mplex.exe

This time, they both worked fine... What gives??? The mpg was recorder at DVD Standard w/ 384 KB for Audio.

Edit: Just ran Burn DVD directly from Sage and it worked fine this time. Only did it with a single 30 minute mpg, but had no errors... This was a new recording that I switched the audio BR to 256 for, but I'm not sure if that had any effect...

Last edited by CyRex; 01-13-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Sage User

Well, mine is now working.

The only thing I changed, I swear, is the working directory. Instead of the default one under the STVs directory I created a new one in the root. Do any of the support programs have problems with spaces in directory names?

Was trying to burn the same episode all along, so it wasn't a problem with the mpeg itself.

Going to try a two episode disc and turn compression on next.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
Do me a favor and continue this in the Cayars: DVDBurner thread. We'll try and keep the DVD burner stuff there from now on.

Anyway, try this again just to make sure this wasn't a fluke. It's possible a file could have been open or something. If this fails again or does the long hang try it with only the one directory being used and let me know how that goes.
(moved thread)

It fails on a regular basis, able to re-create every time. One directory works just fine - its specifically with the new code.

I was just watching the screen and I could have sworn I saw a bunch of dos windows load quickly, then dvd decryptor all in a fraction of a second (caught it with luck). I am in ISO mode, so even if its skipping through every step I should not have seen dvddecryptor... I am still sitting now after seeing all of that then eventually the same error....
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to pciccone Send a message via AIM to pciccone Send a message via MSN to pciccone Send a message via Yahoo to pciccone
Quote:
Originally Posted by abasu2003
files was 48kbps and mono. those definitely will nto work. However, now it seems taht there are problems with the audio files of the ones that are showing up as 384kbps stereo.
I am "happy" to see some others with the same problem I reported to Carlo a couple of weeks ago.

I have the same issue with "some" files, even the one's with 384K stereo that should be OK to re-mux.

So far all I know is all my muxing problems were shows recorded from the same tuner and I also know the problem exists in a certain cronological order. In other words, a whole days of recordings will be fine but another days might all fail on the remux.... That is as far as I got last week since the 6 day power outage we just recovered from.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drazi
Well, mine is now working.

The only thing I changed, I swear, is the working directory. Instead of the default one under the STVs directory I created a new one in the root. Do any of the support programs have problems with spaces in directory names?

Was trying to burn the same episode all along, so it wasn't a problem with the mpeg itself.

Going to try a two episode disc and turn compression on next.
Hey, maby that is the problem. Maybe one of the tools doesn't like a space in the name. I am sending it quoted but since they are ported unix tools it's possible. I did all my testing with c:\test and d:\test. I'm off to try another test.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Hey, maby that is the problem. Maybe one of the tools doesn't like a space in the name. I am sending it quoted but since they are ported unix tools it's possible. I did all my testing with c:\test and d:\test. I'm off to try another test.
Doubt that is it, since my work directories are D:\TEMP and E:\TEMP and I have the exact same issue....
Old 01-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciccone
I am "happy" to see some others with the same problem I reported to Carlo a couple of weeks ago.

I have the same issue with "some" files, even the one's with 384K stereo that should be OK to re-mux.

So far all I know is all my muxing problems were shows recorded from the same tuner and I also know the problem exists in a certain cronological order. In other words, a whole days of recordings will be fine but another days might all fail on the remux.... That is as far as I got last week since the 6 day power outage we just recovered from.
pcicone, I think you were the first person to notice this. So it's all your fault.

Actually if you could try the bbdmux demux and mplex mux on a couple of your "trouble" files this could be very useful information.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
pcicone, I think you were the first person to notice this. So it's all your fault.

Actually if you could try the bbdmux demux and mplex mux on a couple of your "trouble" files this could be very useful information.
hehe, sorry

OK, I will try it and get back to you...
Old 01-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
When I first tried burning directly from Sage, I had a space in my work directory name and I had problems. When I got rid of the space in the name, it eliminated some of the problems, although it still didn't work. Of course on my last attempt, it worked fine...

So yes, I will say that you cannot have spaces in the work directory name. It may not solve all of your problems, but I don't think it will work at all if you have a space in the name.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pciccone
Doubt that is it, since my work directories are D:\TEMP and E:\TEMP and I have the exact same issue....
This was a different problem. There are two MAIN issues right now.

One is getting anything to run all the way without an issue and this could be caused by a space in the directory name.

Second major and more problematic issue is the sound file on remux which is what you have.

Two different issues.

There also appears to be a minor issue when using two directories. I'll call this one minor because it's in my control and a user could switch to single drive/1 directory mode to get it to work.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
One is getting anything to run all the way without an issue and this could be caused by a space in the directory name.
Sorry for confusing the two issues, I read the thread too fast.

Quote:
There also appears to be a minor issue when using two directories. I'll call this one minor because it's in my control and a user could switch to single drive/1 directory mode to get it to work.
So, you can confirm that what I reported is a problem? Should I put this issue to rest?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Question: from post #18, I quote

"Yes correct. Matter of fact the order is
DEMUX
COPY MENU FILES to work directory
COMPRESS if needed
MUX
AUTHOR
BUILD ISO
BURN ISO TO DISC

The compression is done only on the demuxed video file. Audio is never touched."

Could someone please tell me what the DEMUX and MUX operations are? Not sure that I completely understand the complete process.....

Thanks........