SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

I saw those, but given the dvine 4 fans are right next to each other dont see how those would fit. As someone actually used them? Are they mounted the inside or outsid of the case? Any chance of a picture. If they work I am buying two..

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Sage User

Send a message via AIM to mkkawamo Send a message via Yahoo to mkkawamo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheraEdge
So I'm still trying to figure this out, the client PC then would stream everything off of the full sageTV computer in the other room, right? Even live TV? So that is why the network connection needs to be so blazingly fast?

Oh, and I wanted to include another HTPC case that people might like for options. Antec "OVERTURE" Piano Black, Quiet Media Case. I like this one for the space, the possibility it would be cool & quiet and it just seems like an all around good functioning design. The biggest issue is the exposed drive blanks on the front giving it away as a PC case, and why did they have to make the center portion silver? It is the correct width for a standard size A/V component though. A Black option would have been nice, that would have blended in more. It is the case I am starting to lean to for my HTPC system though.
I have the Antec Overture case. I really like it, easy to get everything in and out of. Stays pretty cool and not too loud. Usually the tv is louder. Right now I have 1 250MCE and mine and Jptaz's 500MCEs in it. I just got the Asus A7N8x-E mobo to replace my Gigabyte. I like the look of the Overture, I just need to paint the faceplate of my DVD drive. It's nasty beige. The 2 HDs stay decently cool, although I wish I could get one of those cool VFD displays in one of the 3.5 front bays.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:41 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbmdave
I saw those, but given the dvine 4 fans are right next to each other dont see how those would fit. As someone actually used them? Are they mounted the inside or outsid of the case? Any chance of a picture. If they work I am buying two..

Thanks.
Don't know if anyone has used the adapters and mine haven't arrived yet. Should have them tomorrow (or is it today already) or Thursday. IRRC, and I'm 99% sure, Stanger is using 2x80mm Panaflo L1As in DVine4 case, but hacked it. Haven't seen pics of how and if internally mounted. Wouldn't be a biggy to me if I did end up having to mount one or both externally, can't see the back when it's in my AV rack anyway! I just want two larger fans turning slower to give more cooling than the two 60mm turning fast. Heck, if I thought I could have hacked to cram 2x120mm for exhaust I would have, controlled with T-Balancer those puppies wouldn't barely need to move for excellent cooling. Already using an overhead mounted 120mm for cpu fan.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Sorry, no pictures yet, I'll try and get some this weekend when I tear into it again.

Now, if you have little ones around cover their eyes:
The following post contains material that parents may not find suitable for young readers. Parental discresion is advised.

OMFG!!!

I think that about sums it up. Asside from my WD2000JB, my HTPC is now SILENT! That's it. I knew it was cool when I powered it up, and after about 1s the fans shut OFF, completely. After finally going and doing a RTFM to figure out what wires/pins were what for the internal USB connection (mdmint, do yourself a favor and get your motherboard manual and figure out the pinouts if you use the internal connector, don't bother guessing you'll be wrong ), I had it up and running. A little playing with the app, and it's golden now. IIRC my CPU fan was running under 30%, the 80mm case fan (rather loud Sunon) next to my 6800 is running at <40% and is inaudible, being controlled by the temp sensor on the 6800, and the other 80mm case fan (Panaflo) next to the PS (controlled by the PS sensor) is off AFIAK.

In short, HIGHLY recommended for any quiet PC freak I suspect I'll be buying at least one more.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Sorry, no pictures yet, I'll try and get some this weekend when I tear into it again.

Now, if you have little ones around cover their eyes:
The following post contains material that parents may not find suitable for young readers. Parental discresion is advised.

OMFG!!!

I think that about sums it up. Asside from my WD2000JB, my HTPC is now SILENT! That's it. I knew it was cool when I powered it up, and after about 1s the fans shut OFF, completely. After finally going and doing a RTFM to figure out what wires/pins were what for the internal USB connection (mdmint, do yourself a favor and get your motherboard manual and figure out the pinouts if you use the internal connector, don't bother guessing you'll be wrong ), I had it up and running. A little playing with the app, and it's golden now. IIRC my CPU fan was running under 30%, the 80mm case fan (rather loud Sunon) next to my 6800 is running at <40% and is inaudible, being controlled by the temp sensor on the 6800, and the other 80mm case fan (Panaflo) next to the PS (controlled by the PS sensor) is off AFIAK.

In short, HIGHLY recommended for any quiet PC freak I suspect I'll be buying at least one more.
One must assume your T-Balancer showed up and is installed! Wouldn't you know, UPS arrived early today for a change, but after I'd already installed the 6600GT and put back in AV rack. (They usually hit my place after 5pm, today about 3pm0 Since we'd be a usin' the HTPC this evening didn't have time to attack again. REst assured another T-Balancer and a couple 80mm Panaflo's will be joining the forum soon!

2X80mm placement wise in the DVine4 sounds like you did what I was thinking to do, one mounted in the slots area. (appropriately cut of course)
Old 01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
One must assume your T-Balancer showed up and is installed!
Maybe I should edit that post, I got so busy typing up my reaction I forgot to say what I was reacting to. Yes, my T-Balancer is alive and kicking. A couple of tidbits for you.

This is by no means conclusive, but it appears the USB interface does only two things:
Allow you to program the TB
Allow you to monitor the status of the TB

It appears, that all the "intelligence" is built into the TB itself, ie it's not some program running on your PC with a hardware interface, it's a fully self-contained unit. If it weren't such a pain (openning the case and such) I'd give it a shot without the USB connected. Suffice to say, I'm very happy about that, their app is functional, but I'm not big on the fancy graphics they use, and I don't like stuff running in the background if I can help it.

It's also got a little software controller that you can start and in realtime (almost) adjust the fan speed manually, it's kind of interesting to compare what it sounds like at 100% to what it sounds like when the TB is driving the fans.

The only down side so far, is that I don't seem to be getting a speed signal from the panaflo. mdmint, let me know if you get one from yours. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality though.

Quote:
2X80mm placement wise in the DVine4 sounds like you did what I was thinking to do, one mounted in the slots area. (appropriately cut of course)
Actually no, they are side by side, right above the ATX connector bracket thiny. Right where the 60mm fans were. That's the one thing that really annoys me about this case, there's room for 80mm fans there, but they went with 60mm fans. I mean, what were they thinking? It's an HTPC case after all.

Oh well, my laptop drive should arive Friday, hopefully I'll get my mount by then, and I'll get some good pictures while I have it apart.

Anything special you want to see?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:15 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmint
Cool on finding a local source for your chosen case! I'd love to tell you NOW how the new Panaflo 80mm fans and T-Balancer are working out, but alas ETA tomorrow afternoon. Initially I'm going to use 80 to 60mm adapters but if I don't like how that works I'll hack the case. (Stanger has same case as me and already mod'd his for 2x80mm) Stanger has T-Balancer coming too, ordered a few hours before me, so likely we'll both have reviews for this weekend.
OH YEA !!!!! Uh-Huh !!!!!

Sundial was VERY cool ... Was headed down that way to the local mall ... Time was about 5:40pm ... Phoned them for will call and to see what time they closed. Well they close at 6pm and have no weekend hours. On a good day it might take 20 minutes to get these, but told them I'd likely sit in traffic and get the 6:15. They said they would hang there and stay open for me! WOW, that's service for a first time customer! Well, I encounters classic Friday California Freeway Traffic ... 6:15 and I am half way there! Called via cell and they would stayed longer and wait for me ... I showed up at 6:40 ... and they were terrific! Even took time to answer some questions I had about the optional 5.25" bracket for 3.5" drives. After I left, they called me back twice on my cell to ensure they gave me the right bracket! They even called SilverStone to verify (again, after the sale!!!). So FWIW, my Sundial purchase was a great experience.

Now, I still need to get a few more components before the build. When I do I will take some pix while pulling it all together and give you a review of my overall experience.

Sounds like Stanger89 is a lit-tle happy about his T-Balancer results. I'm interested in mdmints experience as well since I may go there myself.

Well, Next stop ... Fanless Power Supply ... Wish Antec would hurry up and release a 400 or 450w Phantom!

T.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

I think mdmint posted his impression in another thread. As for power supply I serously doubt you'll need more than 350W.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I think mdmint posted his impression in another thread. As for power supply I serously doubt you'll need more than 350W.
Yes I did,
here: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9465
and here:http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...ead.php?t=9488
More with pics will follow.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Place your orders

Not to bad, considering...
Old 01-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Place your orders

Not to bad, considering...
And build your Silent Server in one of these...
Old 01-15-2005, 06:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Of course on the money saving side, I think the T-Balancer has all but eliminated my desire to get an ATech passive case.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Of course on the money saving side, I think the T-Balancer has all but eliminated my desire to get an ATech passive case.
Good thinking, that's how you justify ordering 8 more T-Balancers for less than the cost of that one case!