SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

I agree this a very nice solution. I think your three enhancements-

1 editable

2 persisted

3 attached in some fashion to a cmd

are exactly what is needed to make it robust.

Categories would be very cool at some point but what you've envisioned here will be a very solid useful feature. As you know I am a big fan of your vision of personalization and this is in a way a little slice of that. With the ability to use dynamic menus it's just so hanging out there.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
It's pretty much unlimited filters too. Everybody was talking about 2 or 3 filters but I thik this came out better. Categories would be cool but I'm not sure I can do this at present without some re-work which I don't mind doing. Let me get the implementation down well for what is there now first and then bring this up again a version or two down the road and I'll look back into it.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes I've had this problem since 2.1. There are a few messages about it in this thread somewhere. I thought it was pvr-350 related at first but Carlo and others were also experiencing it. It also does not seem to be STV specific, it certainly happens for me on the original stv.

It also never happens unless I send a command or select a menu option.

Also I think it's worse in this release. It's happened to me at least 8-10 times. What's interesting is that for me (I think because I have the 350) the video just keeps playing perfectly even tho the UI is locked up. Usually it's about 40-60 seconds but sometimes its a few minutes. Its probably annoying for most people because they can't get their tv going. When it happens to me I can't get mine to stop.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by White94Cobra
Is anyone else having stability issues with this STV? Running v2.1.10 with Sage running as a service, the client freezes several times each night. It almost appears to be Comskip related, because every time it freezes and I end the Sage Client task, Comskip is running. I also cannot get Sage to restart until I end the Comskip task.

By freeze I mean no audio and the picture freezes on a frame. Sometimes it will continue after about 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Girder still accepts remote commands (I have Tivo beeps associated with some buttons).

I like this STV so much that I've just been living with it. But I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. The WAF has dropped WAY down with this instability and the "flickering" video issue with SP2.

P4 3.0 GHz, 1 Gig PC3200, 3x160 + 1x400 Gig HD, FX5200, WinXP Professional SP2, SageTV v2.1.10, Cayars14, Nvidia 4.x decoder, VMR9, 720x480 via SVideo to 35" SDTV
Old 12-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I'd like to take a stab at checking out the music related issues. If you have any issues at all in the music library speak now or for ever...

Try and give me a full run down of what's not working correctly so I don't have to read through the thread to find the info.
Cayars,

For me MP3s skip in place when you go to visualization screen. I have tried several other STVs (OriginalV2, SageMCE, XMZV) and I don't have this problem while using them.

I have this problem using Cayars14 and malore21.

Is it possible this issue was inherited from adding portions of the malore21 code into your STV?

I have not tried your Cayars15 yet to see if I still have this issue.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

This used to happen to me if I hit LiveTV when playing mp3s. It doesn't in V15.

peace . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkimmell
Cayars,

For me MP3s skip in place when you go to visualization screen. I have tried several other STVs (OriginalV2, SageMCE, XMZV) and I don't have this problem while using them.

I have this problem using Cayars14 and malore21.

Is it possible this issue was inherited from adding portions of the malore21 code into your STV?

I have not tried your Cayars15 yet to see if I still have this issue.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

By music issues do you mean the stuff that appears there now or everything that is wrong with the way Sage handles music in general?

The single most useful change would be to allow access to standard playlists. That way in the short term you could pass all the problems on to winamp or WMD and just use Sage as a player. That's certainly not the best solution at the end of the day but it is in my mind the single most useful thing someone with access could do.

Besides it would be really hard to build something that you'd use with a remote through Sage that would be better at building playlists through a big directory tree than say windows file explorer, a mouse and the 'queue it up' context command.

I don't know why you can't use standard playlists out of the box. Seems like it would be an easy value add at the core level.

peace . . .

Quote:
I'd like to take a stab at checking out the music related issues. If you have any issues at all in the music library speak now or for ever...

Try and give me a full run down of what's not working correctly so I don't have to read through the thread to find the info.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:26 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via AIM to chrysek Send a message via Yahoo to chrysek
Quote:
Originally Posted by White94Cobra
Is anyone else having stability issues with this STV? Running v2.1.10 with Sage running as a service, the client freezes several times each night. It almost appears to be Comskip related, because every time it freezes and I end the Sage Client task, Comskip is running. I also cannot get Sage to restart until I end the Comskip task.

By freeze I mean no audio and the picture freezes on a frame. Sometimes it will continue after about 30 seconds to 5 minutes. Girder still accepts remote commands (I have Tivo beeps associated with some buttons).

I like this STV so much that I've just been living with it. But I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. The WAF has dropped WAY down with this instability and the "flickering" video issue with SP2.

P4 3.0 GHz, 1 Gig PC3200, 3x160 + 1x400 Gig HD, FX5200, WinXP Professional SP2, SageTV v2.1.10, Cayars14, Nvidia 4.x decoder, VMR9, 720x480 via SVideo to 35" SDTV
You have pretty powerful system, did you try to see how fragmented your drive is? maybe that is the problem you having...

Chris
Intel Pentium 4 3.0ghz 800mhz FSB, D.VINE 4 w/VFD display Case, GIGABYTE "GA-8IPE1000 PRO-G" i865PE Chipset Motherboard, Dual DDR 400 1024mb RAM (2x512mb), Windows XP Pro SP2 + SageTV 4.1.12 + Java j2re-1.5._02, ATI 9600 128mb DVI out, 200gb OS Drive, 2x160gb EIDE and 7x400gb SATA Video storage hard drives, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Time Warner HD Digital Cable Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-250 to Dish Network Receiver, Hauppauge PVR-350 to Time Warner Cable redy input, ATI HDTV card, USB-UIRT w/Hauppauge remote.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Sage Icon

Issues with music...

Quote:

As some others have stated, the biggest problem with music is that it usually has no audio unless you skip forward, then the audio starts. On my server machine, the audio will hang if full screen visualizations. If I press skip forward, it will jump and play briefly then jump back to the begining.

One request for any playlist manipulations is that it should be viewable on an SDTV.

In the meantime, I am trying to create a custom menu item to call JRMC in theater mode.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Need help with ERROR

Sage is currently recording a show. I went to the Live TV guide, and selected a different show to watch. Usually Sage asks me if I want to stop recording the show and watch the selected show. Instead, it says:

There was an error playing the selection of:
ERROR (-8): User rejected conflict resolution options for playback request.

Something seems out of sync. I have TV Guide Shortcut set to default in the interface setup.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Cayars,

As for the music library, I've thought a lot about this. Here are my top two requests:

1. Add organization by Genre, and the ability to play a genre just as you can play an entire Artist or Album.
2. Currently, "Random Play" only effects playlists or randomly plays *everything*. Random Play should be possible on a Genre, Artist, or Album, as well.

These two give great flexibility in selecting whatever music you want to hear. You could select any single category without creating a playlist, and listen to it directly or randomly. Plus, you could create a playlist and listen straight through or randomly. This would possibly require a specific way to "shuffle all"...

Those two ideas, in my opinion, would make this a very usable music library.

After that, I'd suggest looking at TRACK skipping instead of 2.5 minute and 10 second skipping... :-)

thanks a ton for even expressing interest in this... If you do this right, I can stop using MCE2005, and start using the PVR350 output...

Side question: Can Sage play music while viewing pictures?

thanks!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector
By music issues do you mean the stuff that appears there now or everything that is wrong with the way Sage handles music in general?

The single most useful change would be to allow access to standard playlists. That way in the short term you could pass all the problems on to winamp or WMD and just use Sage as a player. That's certainly not the best solution at the end of the day but it is in my mind the single most useful thing someone with access could do.

Besides it would be really hard to build something that you'd use with a remote through Sage that would be better at building playlists through a big directory tree than say windows file explorer, a mouse and the 'queue it up' context command.

I don't know why you can't use standard playlists out of the box. Seems like it would be an easy value add at the core level.

peace . . .
I was referring to bugs and not new functionality.

I'll tell you what, if SageTV was written in any of the MS languages, I'd be all over this app with all kinds of cool things. Java/Sage programming language ranks right up there with COBOL in my book.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hi Cayars/everyone.

I have a few questions. First, with 15 test code it seems I've lost the Compress ability. When I select it nothing happens, it doesn't change to "cancel compress" and it doesn't create the file in the Compressor/Jobs folder. I'm sure it's something small I'm missing....

Second, I'm still trying to get my head around CS and CC. I have CC enabled in the registry for my PVR250, and I have DVD standard Play selected, but I'm still not sure if it is working. Is there a way tyo verify whether CC is enabled properly or am I maybe missing a step? I ask because my CS seems to be a little bit off.

Also with regards to CS, I can right click on a currently watching show (live) and stard Comm Detect, thus I believe firing it off manually. I understand that I can also select Comm Detect from the Detailed Page on a previously recorded show. However, if I don't do either of these, is there a way to tell sage to go ahead and do Commecrial Detect during off hours? I do have it enabled in Detailed Setup and I've tried setting it to "only when asleep" but coming back the next day none of the recording have been CS'ed. Also, if it makes any difference, I have CC Auto Overlay disabled.

thanks!

davey
Old 12-02-2004, 08:18 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
As some others have stated, the biggest problem with music is that it usually has no audio unless you skip forward, then the audio starts. On my server machine, the audio will hang if full screen visualizations. If I press skip forward, it will jump and play briefly then jump back to the begining.

One request for any playlist manipulations is that it should be viewable on an SDTV.

In the meantime, I am trying to create a custom menu item to call JRMC in theater mode.
I've got a few questions for you guys having music issues and especially the visualization problems.
Are you playing VBR or CBR based MP3s?
Also, are you running 2.1 or 2.2?
Overlay or VMR9 mode?
Have you tried the other mode to see if this helps visualization problems?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I'll tell you what, if SageTV was written in any of the MS languages, I'd be all over this app with all kinds of cool things. Java/Sage programming language ranks right up there with COBOL in my book.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
Hi Cayars/everyone.

I have a few questions. First, with 15 test code it seems I've lost the Compress ability. When I select it nothing happens, it doesn't change to "cancel compress" and it doesn't create the file in the Compressor/Jobs folder. I'm sure it's something small I'm missing....

Second, I'm still trying to get my head around CS and CC. I have CC enabled in the registry for my PVR250, and I have DVD standard Play selected, but I'm still not sure if it is working. Is there a way tyo verify whether CC is enabled properly or am I maybe missing a step? I ask because my CS seems to be a little bit off.

Also with regards to CS, I can right click on a currently watching show (live) and stard Comm Detect, thus I believe firing it off manually. I understand that I can also select Comm Detect from the Detailed Page on a previously recorded show. However, if I don't do either of these, is there a way to tell sage to go ahead and do Commecrial Detect during off hours? I do have it enabled in Detailed Setup and I've tried setting it to "only when asleep" but coming back the next day none of the recording have been CS'ed. Also, if it makes any difference, I have CC Auto Overlay disabled.

thanks!

davey
I messed it up in 15. I changed a few things around to try and incorporate the functionality "out-of-the-box" just like the ComSkip option, but I hit a major snag. Compress in it's present form doesn't work with UNC based drives!

I've put things back to normal in TestCode C with one new option you will have to set (job xml directory) before it will start working again for you.

You'll be able to download this version later tonight.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

thanks Cayars, any insight into the CS and CC issues?

davey
Old 12-02-2004, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
Jere knows what I'm talking about!

BTW, when you gonna get us some of that good native STV ComSkip code?
Old 12-02-2004, 08:27 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl
thanks Cayars, any insight into the CS and CC issues?

davey
Refresh my brain on this. As far as I know the CS/CC icons now work correctly in 15 test code.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 PM
Sage Icon

Carlo I think he is referring to this and not the icons:
Quote:

Old 12-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Sage User

Is there any documentation on how to develop plugins for SageTV?

Quote:
I was referring to bugs and not new functionality.

I've not seen a development environment for SageTV yet--is one available?
I've seen that SageTV requires the JDK.

Are you familiar with the Eclipse development environment? (free and open source)

Brian
Old 12-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Sage Icon

Link for TestCode C removed.

Last edited by Cayars; 12-03-2004 at 03:59 PM.