SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Sage Icon

Since there has been talk about "Studio" in this thread I thought I'd point out this message from Dan: http://forums.freytechnologies.com/f...5&postcount=22

I'll quote a section "Currently SageTV Studio is only available to OEMs, Integrators and a handful of private testers."

The reason I wanted to point this out is to show that in the future people will be coming out with products/STV that they WILL charge/markup for. I'm not trying to start up a "paying" thread again, since I believe I've made my stance pretty clear on this. I just wanted to demonstrate what will probably happen in the future with the product and get rid of the concept that anything produced in Studio needs to be kept free. If this were the case then Frey would not be working with OEMs, Integrators.

It's just common sense. Marketing Studio (some day) this way will open another viable channel of sales for Frey for the product and I'm sure will bring more inovation to the product.

Please don't comment on this here in this thread. If you feel like commenting on this use the other thread that Dan made the post in. I'd like to keep this focused on the Cayars STV.

BTW, I'll be releasing the next version of the STV today.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to remmy925 Send a message via AIM to remmy925 Send a message via Yahoo to remmy925
I lack any sense of ability to program...so the Studio situation is a non-issue for me....
I do appreciate however you guys making an effort to support those of us who dont have the skill set to create like you do. Thank you.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayars
I'm not sure what this has to do with studio? Are you implying that anything done is Studio has to be free?

One of the very useful features of Studio will be for OEM companies to design their own interface or make changes to the base to better serve the customer.

I personally (as well as all the other STV developers thus far) have choosen to keep STV updates free. I think it really helps the community out.

Please don't read anything into what I've said and start thinking I'm going to nickle and dime people to death with options. It's not my intention.

What I'm talking about are independant programs that function well if called from SageTV. We're talking about the likes of replacement programs on the order of Dr. DivX, Easy CD Creator, MS Media Plus pack (MP3 ripper), etc...

All of these programs are already commercial programs and what I'm talking about doing is coming up with a LOWER COST alternative to using these programs that are built to look like SageTV and function very similar. This could be done by any of our programming community users without knowing anything about studio.

I would be greatful if someone wanted to volunteer to do this. If hooks are needed in the STV to support it then I'd add them as part of the base cayars STV.
Cayars, I have no beef with you. I believe that you deserve to be compensated for your efforts through donations. As good as you are, there are many others who could be developing for this as well. I just don't see how it is feasable to develop for SageTV when you don't have access to the back end through Studio? Thus, my question, could you create these add-ons/plug-ins/modules outside of Studio without having had Studio so you could understand the inner workings of SageTV? If so, then I am wrong and I will get out my wallet.

PS: Don't get discouraged in your efforts by my ranting and raving. I am the only idiot in here complaining. Mostly, I am just enjoying the argument. Keep up the good work
PVR-350
PVR-150
ATI Radeon 9100
512MB DDR RAM
2 x 80GB HDD
MediaMVP
Old 11-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
  • Added Detailed Setup->Interface_>OSD Options->Prompt for Delete Options when show is finished.
  • Added code to OSD to prompt for show deletion at end of viewing based on above option settings.
  • Mini-guide now starts on your current channel.
You're the best!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 09:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Cayars - first and foremost, THANK YOU!!! I'm using V12 of your stv and it has made a great impact on my viewing pleasure (high GF AF). Just wanted to point out that when watching a recorded program, the "commercial auto skip" option is not available. Somehow I turned it off by accident and had to reload the VE stv to turn it back on. Let the adventure continue.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckron
Cayars, I have no beef with you. I believe that you deserve to be compensated for your efforts through donations. As good as you are, there are many others who could be developing for this as well. I just don't see how it is feasable to develop for SageTV when you don't have access to the back end through Studio? Thus, my question, could you create these add-ons/plug-ins/modules outside of Studio without having had Studio so you could understand the inner workings of SageTV? If so, then I am wrong and I will get out my wallet.

PS: Don't get discouraged in your efforts by my ranting and raving. I am the only idiot in here complaining. Mostly, I am just enjoying the argument. Keep up the good work
Simple answer. Yes
Old 11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy
Cayars - first and foremost, THANK YOU!!! I'm using V12 of your stv and it has made a great impact on my viewing pleasure (high GF AF). Just wanted to point out that when watching a recorded program, the "commercial auto skip" option is not available. Somehow I turned it off by accident and had to reload the VE stv to turn it back on. Let the adventure continue.
I'm suprised that worked by going back a version. What you could do in a current version is go into Detailed Setup->Interfaces->OSD Options and make sure that "Show Malore Options" is enabled.

Then go into the OSD and bring up the options. Check the "Com. Auto Skip" setting and make sure it's enabled.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
[*]Removed option Delete & Set Watched from DELETE Options as there is no need for this option.
Yikes! That was my favorite feature you added under v11!

Here's why...... We record shows all the time. My wife wants to lay in bed and watch TV. We watch, live, the show that's being recorded. The next morning I'll go to purge the two or three shows we watched live.

Without this feature, we're back to having to forst Set Watched, then Delete again. Can you put this pack as, maybe, a menu option in setup?

Thanks,

Stacy
Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by srothwell

Here's why...... We record shows all the time. My wife wants to lay in bed and watch TV. We watch, live, the show that's being recorded. The next morning I'll go to purge the two or three shows we watched live.

Without this feature, we're back to having to forst Set Watched, then Delete again. Can you put this pack as, maybe, a menu option in setup?

Thanks,

Stacy
I agree. I use Delete and Set Watched constantly.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Thanks,

Stacy
It wasn't needed because there are TWO other choices that cover the delete functionality. The DELETE choices now are:
  • Delete (maybe should be called "Just Delete" or "Delete Only")
  • Clear Watched & Set Don't Like (this is really, "Delete, Clear Watched & Set Don't Like") <-- aka IR shouldn't record this type
  • Set Watched & Clear Don't Like (this is really, "Delete, Set Watched & Clear Don't Like") <-- aka IR should record this type
The above three items all delete the file. The latter two also change certain flags on the file before deleting it.

The item removed "Delete and Set Watched" is really a duplicate for the "Set Watched & Clear Don't Like" delete method. The only difference was that it didn't do the "Clear Don't Like" flag. It doesn't make a difference if the flag needs toggling or not on the 3rd choice.

I removed the one entry because it's appears to duplicate the other's functionality and I can't think of a single reason to delete and set watched but NOT set the "Clear Don't Like" flag.

If for some reason you did want the entry marked as "Watched" and "Don't Like" then you are going to have issues with IR since you're sending it "mixed" signals. i.e you watch show you don't like???

Hope this helps explain why I removed it.

Last edited by Cayars; 11-19-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Sage Icon

Release 13 is up. The first message has been updated accordingly.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

Cool I can't wait to get home and install it. I'm happy the comskip should hopefully work right again.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
It wasn't needed because there are TWO other choices that cover the delete functionality. The DELETE choices now are:

• Delete (maybe should be called "Just Delete" or "Delete Only")
  • Clear Watched & Set Don't Like (this is really, "Delete, Clear Watched & Set Don't Like") <-- aka IR shouldn't record this type
  • Set Watched & Clear Don't Like (this is really, "Delete, Set Watched & Clear Don't Like") <-- aka IR should record this type
The above three items all delete the file. The latter two also change certain flags on the file before deleting it.

The item removed "Delete and Set Watched" is really a duplicate for the "Set Watched & Clear Don't Like" delete method. The only difference was that it didn't do the "Clear Don't Like" flag. It doesn't make a difference if the flag needs toggling or not on the 3rd choice.

I removed the one entry because it's appears to duplicate the other's functionality and I can't think of a single reason to delete and set watched but NOT set the "Clear Don't Like" flag.

If for some reason you did want the entry marked as "Watched" and "Don't Like" then you are going to have issues with IR since you're sending it "mixed" signals. i.e you watch show you don't like???

Hope this helps explain why I removed it.
I don't know how valid my theory here will be but here goes:
Let's say my wife has a favorite of The View and I have IR enabled for the sake of argument. I don't want IR to use The View as a guideline for recording other shows but I do need it to flag as watched so the favorite won't try and record that episode again if it reairs.
I don't have IR running so I don't know if this is true or not.

Last edited by ToxMox; 11-19-2004 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling of argument
Old 11-19-2004, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

Cayars,

Still have a square box right in the middle of the video window on menus.

This occurs only with Overlay mode, not in VMR9 mode. This started with Cayars 11, I think. It may have had something to do with fattening the border around the video????

When in Overlay mode, the border isn't real visible, but in MR9 mode, it's right in your face.

Stacy
Old 11-19-2004, 01:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
I don't know how valid my theory here will be but here goes:
Let's say my wife has a favorite of The View and I have IR enabled for the sake of arguement. I don't want IR to use The View as a guideline for recording other shows but I do need it to flag as watched so the favorite won't try and record that episode again if it reairs.
I don't have IR running so I don't know if this is true or not.
I understand what you're trying to do but if you turn IR on it goes by your settings for WATCHED and LIKE. So the more things you WATCH the more IR will try and record similar shows.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Sage Icon

Hmm, does any of the Sage gods know how IR would handle shows marked:
WATCHED & DON'T LIKE

Is this confusing for IR or would this do exactly what ToxMox is looking to do?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Cayars,

Still have a square box right in the middle of the video window on menus.

This occurs only with Overlay mode, not in VMR9 mode. This started with Cayars 11, I think. It may have had something to do with fattening the border around the video????

When in Overlay mode, the border isn't real visible, but in MR9 mode, it's right in your face.

Stacy
No, it's has to do with the code added to handle Closed Captioning in Overlay mode when using the "Auto Overlay CC Support" option.

Make sure no videos are playing and go into Detailed Setup->Advanced. Make sure 3D Acceleration and Overlay Color Keying are both enabled. If you don't use CCs in the OSD then go into Detailed Setup->Interfaces->OSD Options and disable "Auto Overlay CC Support". That should do it. It sounds like you have a couple of "crossed" settings.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
Sage Expert

cayars,

i got behind on updating and I'm on release 11. All I need is the STV file to update to release 13, correct?
Old 11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Sage Icon

Cayars,

Set the settings as you suggested.

If I turn Auto CC off, I still get the square box.

If I turn the color keying on, the square box goes away but then on any overlay stuff, all I get is the border and it looks nasty and hard to read.

Stacy
Old 11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Let's say my wife has a favorite of The View and I have IR enabled for the sake of arguement. I don't want IR to use The View as a guideline for recording other shows but I do need it to flag as watched so the favorite won't try and record that episode again if it reairs.
Quote:
how IR would handle shows marked:
WATCHED & DON'T LIKE

Is this confusing for IR or would this do exactly what ToxMox is looking to do?
As far as I know, "Don't Like" trumps all, but I can't say that with 100% certainty. I'm not entirely sure whether a Watched & Don't Like show is even in terms of IR, since I can't remember if they cancel each other out. If I don't like a show, I usually clear the Watched status just to make sure.

But, if you mark a single episode of a Favorite as Don't Like, the fav should not record that particular episode whether it has been watched or not. You can try this yourself -- For one of your favs, mark a scheduled airing as Don't Like. It should be removed from the scedule when it updates, in several minutes. Clear that episode's Don't Like status & it should return to the schedule. Or, at least I believe that's what I've seen happen.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.