SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Sage Icon

The reason I don't get it is that most of the features of this STV are incorperated in much more attractive STVs.

To each his own I guess. I'll serve the files as long as people keep downloading them.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
The reason I don't get it is that most of the features of this STV are incorperated in much more attractive STVs.

To each his own I guess. I'll serve the files as long as people keep downloading them.
I guess one of these days I'll have to use one of the other STVs, but for now Cayars is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion anyway. The simplicity of the interface and the availability of features are just the best mix for me. None of the others I've looked at ever gave the mix of usefulness and information.

I never liked MCE, if I wanted that look I'd buy micro$oft's.

That said, if you ever don't want to host it I'm more then happy too. And if I had studio I'd support it...oh well.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

The reason I like the Cayars STV is that you have access to the database (through the XML files) which is useful for a variety of reasons. I woudn't switch to another one if it didn't have some way to access the database. Does the MCE STV or any other one allow you to access the database?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5
The reason I like the Cayars STV is that you have access to the database (through the XML files) which is useful for a variety of reasons. I woudn't switch to another one if it didn't have some way to access the database. Does the MCE STV or any other one allow you to access the database?
I'm not sure about XML exports specifically. How are you using them? Are you just using the compress routine to get your XML file?

Quote:
I guess one of these days I'll have to use one of the other STVs, but for now Cayars is pretty hard to beat, in my opinion anyway. The simplicity of the interface and the availability of features are just the best mix for me. None of the others I've looked at ever gave the mix of usefulness and information.

I never liked MCE, if I wanted that look I'd buy micro$oft's.

That said, if you ever don't want to host it I'm more then happy too. And if I had studio I'd support it...oh well.
I understand that sentiment completely. What is it specifically about the information cayars gives you that you like? I'm trying to isolate features that are most used/coveted.

No worries about hosting the files. They don't use that much bandwidth these days. Thank you for the offer though.

Last edited by Crashless; 07-12-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Aren't things like the customizable Guides 1, 2 & 3 and the XML data export features that came from malore's STV in the first place? Malore's STV has a lot of stuff that other STVs use.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
I'm not sure about XML exports specifically. How are you using them? Are you just using the compress routine to get your XML file?
In 18E with CDM the STV automatically outputs .xml files for all recordings.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Sage Icon

Oh yeah, duh...how are those files being scraped, and for what purpose?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

It's hard to totally describe exactly what I like - some of the things, like Malore's file view, obviously weren't invented by Cayar's in the first place. But what Carlo did was create an STV that combined most of the best features everyone came up with (as well as some of his own) and packaged them in one nice package for all to use. Most of the other STVs tend to be more "this is what I, the creator, like and the rest of you can just use it" which is well and good in its own right, just not usually the combo I desire. Carlo just did a good job of wrapping all the more popular ideas (of the time) up.

The XML export files I use with my SageEncoder program to give me more useful filenames and text for the html files. Jere Jones has figured out how to pull this same information from Neil's webserver, so I guess that's something I could look into, though dealing with XML files is a whole lot easier. Of course this only helps people that are using the Cayar STV.

So I guess until Sage V3 comes out (if...) I'll have to see what new ideas/options there are. In the meantime, Cayars is working awesome for me so I haven't really been following the other STVs (to be perfectly honest)

Edit: Oh, and since I wrote a user's manual for Cayars, well, uh...I sorta have a personal investment in it I guess...

Last edited by ajuhawk; 07-12-2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks for the well thought out answer. That helps me greatly.

Hopefully you'll have some other options soon.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Sage Icon

Well since we are on the topic of Cayars it seems that nothing terrible has happened to him. I guess he was just done with the Sage community.

http://www.aspinvision.com/support/f...ts.asp?TID=925
(about halfway down the page a post from last month)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:58 PM
Sage Icon

Well, it's nice to see he's alive. I wish him all the best.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Sage Icon

now that i know hes not dead, I wish him to trip on a small crack in the road and break something small like a pinky finger.

Said finger could of been the one he could of used to just throw a "retirement" message in this forum. Hope he made some use of my donation

I.

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
now that i know hes not dead, I wish him to trip on a small crack in the road and break something small like a pinky finger.

Said finger could of been the one he could of used to just throw a "retirement" message in this forum. Hope he made some use of my donation
Well, I guess Cayars took his lead on how to communicate his ceasing STV developement intentions from how SageTV LLC communicates their v3 intentions! Not.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Sage Icon

hah

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
SageTVaholic

<noob alert on>

I'm new to SageTV and just loaded Cayars but nothing seems to have changed. I'm still within the trial period in case that matters.

I exited SageTV, unzipped Cayars17.zip and CorefilesR2.zip to the main directory (Which I am assuming is c:\program files\Frey Technologies\SageTV) and JavaR2.zip to c:\java\jre1.5.0_04\lib\ext.

When I then start SageTV it looks "stock".

Sorry if this has been answered 100 times before but this thread is massive and searching did not yield me an answer.

<noob alert off>
Old 07-13-2005, 07:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via MSN to abbott_m
You need to turn on the STV in the setup menu's.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox
Well since we are on the topic of Cayars it seems that nothing terrible has happened to him. I guess he was just done with the Sage community.

http://www.aspinvision.com/support/f...ts.asp?TID=925
(about halfway down the page a post from last month)
Your post inspired me to do a quick google search, which turned up a profile refering to a homepage of... <snip>

Edit: I don't think there was direct contact information there (the link didn't work for me), but I don't want to head in this direction anyway. See my next post. - Opus4

Last edited by bgorrell; 07-13-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Administrator

I really don't want this to turn into a "How do I contact Cayars?" thread. For whatever reason, he has decided to leave this forum w/o any further word. As far as I know, he is doing fine. It is unfortunate that he decided to leave w/o returning borrowed items or delivering the DVD software that some people paid for, but please don't post contact information or possible links to such information. The sale of such software probably should not have been allowed to be promoted on this forum, so don't be surprised if such posts are removed in the future. However, there is not much we can do about what has already happened, so lets just move on to better things.

Thank you.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks abbott m, worked great. I'm migrating from BeyondTV and Sage is way more complicated.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:46 PM
Sage Icon

Dont make us look you up Andy! ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
I really don't want this to turn into a "How do I contact Cayars?" thread. For whatever reason, he has decided to leave this forum w/o any further word. As far as I know, he is doing fine. It is unfortunate that he decided to leave w/o returning borrowed items or delivering the DVD software that some people paid for, but please don't post contact information or possible links to such information. The sale of such software probably should not have been allowed to be promoted on this forum, so don't be surprised if such posts are removed in the future. However, there is not much we can do about what has already happened, so lets just move on to better things.

Thank you.

- Andy

My sage rigs: