SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 12-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Sage User

I ended up rebuilding my system with the Soyo MB mentioned in my signature. I haven't had the problem since.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:52 PM
Sage User

NOT happening at my house!!!!!!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 08:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to flight2k Send a message via Yahoo to flight2k
SageTV splitting recordings

Look to your network. More than likely you are dropping packets to the extent sage is rebuilding the mapped drives. Bad cables, bad switch, cable too long, long latency, etc.

I experienced the same thing when I extended my network and a bad cable raised it's head. If you build your own cables, make sure you build them to the Cat5e spec. It sounds dorky, but the more I build really long cables the more important this has become.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:32 AM
Sage User

I have suddenly started having this problem as well. It happens in EVERY capture program - not just SageTV.

It started after trying to use the SHS Beta drivers for the PVR250/350. They had such a "stuttering" problem recording, I downloaded the "official" drivers from Hauppauge, and they had the exact same problem "stuttering". I went back to the 22037 drivers D/L'ed from Hauppauge last March '04.

Since attempting the latest drivers, I now have recordings broken up after about an hour or so of recording.

Other than attempting the new drivers, NOTHING was changed on my system. It has been running fine for over a year. Apparently, there are problems with the new drivers, and even after running hcwclear (et. al), they don't clear out something that is causing the problem, even after going to the older drivers.

I had planned on wiping my XP system out anyway within the next week (bought a new large laptop that will be a desktop replacement), and intend turning my old desktop into a more dedicated PVR.

Again - this does NOT appear to be a Sage problem, but seems to be a problem with the later Hauppauge drivers - at least in my case.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Sage User

Ok - I performed a clean re-install of XP Pro, performed all the service pack updates, etc., and reinstalled the Hauppauge drivers (SHS's 22301 beta drivers), DVDMF3, and Sage.

On my 350, the split recording issue has stopped. However, I have noticed that the lower the recording quality, the worse the video "stuttering" gets (appears to be dropped frames). When recording at HQ (something better than 3.25GB/hr), I don't notice it, but anything less, and it starts becoming noticeable. The lower the quality, the worse it is.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Sage Expert

Ugh... I am now experiencing this issue. We were watching a show and it just seemed to skip forward 30 seconds or so. Watching the OSD didn't display the jump, it just moved up by 1 second when it skipped. I looked at the actual file and it was split into two files. I seem to experience this issue about once per week.

One file was 800 Megs and the other was 1.9 gigs. I am using UNC mapped drives (but they are all on the local server). I have two 400 gig drives attached via SATA to the ICH5 controller on an Abit IS7-G motherboard. The drives are formatted using 64K clusters and have split the drives into one 20gig system partition and four ~190 gig video partitions.

It sounds as if a complete reinstall fixes the issue for most people. If it keeps happening I guess I'll have to invest the time for a reinstall.
Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3GHz, 4 Gig DDR2-800, 8.5 TB storage, 8800GTS PCIe, Windows 7 32bit, Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge HVR-2250, HD-HomeRun, Fusion 5 USB Gold ATSC, SageTV v7.x, HD100, HD200, HD300, 60" Mitsubishi DLP
Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 PM

SageTV Split Recordings

I'm also getting split recordings. I'm using the Plextor PX-TV402U with an Intel PBZ875 motherboard and 300GB Maxtor SATA disk. It looks like the Sage server dies just after the picture begins to pixelize. I suspect that the Sage server resets and begins recording again.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Unhappy

Anybody found a fix for this yet?

I've started getting nothing but split recordings. A show that should be arround 1.8Gb (Well, 1 hour 35 minutes at DVD extra long play)comes out at 0.7Gb made up of 10 pieces. Playing it runs through the show in fast forward with several 'stuck' screens and the whole show playing in minutes.

I've had to move back to using a VCR as SageTV wont record anything thats actually watchable!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've just started to have this problem as well. It happens on all my recordings and they are split into 5 mpeg files. My system has been stable for about 7 months now without a hiccup so what could cause this I have no idea. Nothing has changed as far as drivers/settings/configuration goes. Here is my system:

Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz.
512 MB of Ram
120 GIB Drive (10GIG Boot Partition, 110GB Video Partition formatted to 64K)
PVR-250 Capturing video (Hauppauge Drivers from a while ago?)
PVR-350 Stricting outputting video (SHS's drivers)

Now I cannot have this happen so instead of spending a ton of time trouble shooting I think I will just do a clean reinstall of XP and by the sounds of things that will solve this problem. For the people that are having this problem I wonder if maybe our hdd are starting to fail??
Old 02-10-2005, 12:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

I actualyl managed to stop my machine splitting recordings. Not sure if it's a definiteive answer but...

1. Deleted watched recordings and anything else I could to make enough
space to do a defragment (about 35GB of a 150GB drive).
2. Defragment the drive TV is recorded onto
3. Defragment the drive TV is recorded onto again so it joins more files up.
4. Defragment the drive TV is recorded onto again so it makes bigger spaces.
(Well actually I just kept doing it until the analysis said there was no need to defregment)
5. Reboot.

That seemed to do it for me.

Doing this remotely (I was 200+ miles away when I found the problem) is a bit of a pain of course so another solution would be ideal.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:27 PM
Sage User

Don't get your hopes up.

I have executive diskkeeper defrag my drives every time the screensaver comes on. I also use several drives..............RAID, local IDE, and USB.

Same thing happens on about 50% of my recordings.

John
Old 02-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Diskeeper is the problem

I stopped the diskeeper service and I no longer have any split recordings.