SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Sage Expert

Setting up FFDSHOW

Any links on how to set up FFDSHOW? I have FFDSOW and SCALER installed, but can not do the color calibration as outlined in the guide.

I also want to use it for post process sharpening, but can't find and detailed instructions.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Here are the detailed instructions
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=246752

Here's an ffdshow guide, although it's geared toward Zoomplayer/TheaterTek, aside from installation (and configuring for sage) the pricipal is the same.
http://htpcnews.com/main.php?id=ffdshowdvd_1

As for the color calibration, what problems are you having?
Old 08-31-2004, 06:22 AM
Sage Expert

I read your guide, nicely done, and followed the steps. But I don't have FFDSHOW listed when I go to select it in the menu.

I can only assume that this is also why I don't have the "graph" either.

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 08-31-2004, 09:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you exit an restart Sage? You have to do that for Sage to discover new filters/decoders.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Stranger89 where in the avsforum thread are your instructions. I searched the thread and could not find the detailed info for Sage.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:28 PM
SageTVaholic

That was kind of a joke sorry, I'm sure all the info is there but it's probably not very user friendly.

Your best bet for a quickstart/instruction is probably to check out my guide for how to get ffdshow going in Sage, and then the HTPCNews article for an overview of ffdshow theory.

Quick explanation of how ffdshow works in Sage.

Truth is, current ffdshow support works based on tricks, or a happy accident, take your pick. It relies on the way directshow/sage build graphs.

Once you have ffdshow installed there are two ways to get it working in Sage, either way will give up an aspect of control over playback (decoder or renderer):

1) You can select ffdshow as the decoder, this will result in Dshow/Sage using your system's default MPEG decoder (usually the last one you installed). You still have control over the renderer. Basically Sage says to Dshow, use ffdshow, 'X' renderer, and 'Y' file and build a graph, and Dshow automatically loads the decoder with highest merit.

2) You specify your favorite decoder, and select Default as the video renderer. Basically the same thing happens, Sage say "Dshow, play 'X' file with 'Y' decoder, and build the graph." Then Dshow, builds the graph and since no renderer was specified, Dshow fills in the graph and ffdshow inserts itself.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

Histogram Filter

Ok, I've played around with the histogram filter with ffdshow and Dscaler in SageTV, made my adjustments.

Stupid question, now what do I do?

The histogram shows up even when I am watching regular programming - except when I switch the decoder to something else (eg. the Hauppauge).

Do you then turn off the histogram filter?

Sorry, sure this question must seem silly, but need the help.
Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Yup, just turn it off, or if you don't want/need to use ffdshow, just stop using it.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
Yup, just turn it off, or if you don't want/need to use ffdshow, just stop using it.
Sorry, just so I understand - the adjustments made with the filter will still take effect, even with the histogram filter turned off?

I know, total newb stuff.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks got it workin OK but it maybe of no use to me. Using the Elecard Decoder and FFDshow with only blur activated pegs my CPU every few seconds and causes major stutters. With Cyberlink decoder and only Deinterlacing active it still pegs (cycles between 50% -100% every 3 seconds) and a slight stutter occurs along with the audio being slightly out of sync.
This is on an AMD1800 system. Shame because the PQ and color depth were awsome.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralphjb
Sorry, just so I understand - the adjustments made with the filter will still take effect, even with the histogram filter turned off?

I know, total newb stuff.
The adjustments have nothing to do with the filter, they affect the recordings. What the histogram filter does, is lets you easily visualize the affect the adjustments have so you can accurately set the Capture Color Settings.

-edit

Just to double check though, you did make the adjustments inside SageTV right? ie in the SageTV Capture Color Settings.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

That is correct yes, within SageTV.

So the adjustments apply to the recording, not to the play back. Once I return to the Hauppauge decoder, the adjustments will stick, so to speak?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Yup. The basic theory is that once you calibrate the capture settings close to the way I specified (so they range 16-235), they they will closely match those settings found on DVDs, that way you can go through and calibrate your display with something like Digital Video Essentials and it will be very close for recordings also. Plus there's the added advantage that if you archive your recordings to DVD, they will be very close to spec (brightness 16-235).
Old 09-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Sage Expert

Unhappy Still no luck..

I followed the instructions (YOUR's not the 30 page thread...so glad I got that as a joke! ) and even rebooted my PC to be sure that all was loaded and correct.

I guess I still did something wrong, as I still don't see FFDSHOW listed.

I seem to recall there was a SAGE.PROPERTIES EDIT that had to be done before it could be seen in the menus, but this information illudes me still.

I aslo want to use FFDSHOW to sharpen the picture, not just calibrate the color.

I recall a thread where someone had a picture of Ryan Seacrest of american IDol fame, with a BEFORE and after shot. I believe this post or thread had the entry info for the SAGE.PROPERTIES modification as well. too bad I can't find it!

Old 09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Theoretically Jeff added ffdshow as a decoder, so you shouldn't have to. But try this:

add "ffdshow raw video filter,In,Out" to the videoframe/additional_video_filters line.

My only other question is what version of ffdshow are you using?
Old 09-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Sage Expert

Who is JEFF, and how did he get access to my PC to ADD ffdshow???

Old 09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Jeff, AKA, Narflex, the SageTV Dev.

He added ffdshow to Sage's internal list of decoders sometime during the beta test after mlbdude discovered you could select it as a decoder.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Sage Expert

Yep, there is is....I selected it and SAGE shut down, as in CRASHED/EXIT TO DESKTOP in less than second!!

Restarting SAGE just caused it to crash the same way, so I have to UNINSTALL ffdshow, start sage, get the ERROR code (cause ffdshow was nowhere to be found) selected my old choice (Sonic) and was back up and running.

I need to do this when I have more time, and nothing slated to be recording.....

Let me start again, I'll get back to you guys...

Old 09-02-2004, 08:29 AM
SageTVaholic

Did you add the DWORD AllowAllRenderers=1 for the Sonic decoders?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Sage Expert

Considering I have no idea what your talking about.....nO!

(This is why I like to keep things SIMPLE, setting up tons of stuff is such a pain when a PC crashes!)