SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89

What I'm waiting for is an HD version of the CX23416 MPEG encoder and therefore and HD version of the PVR 250, that would get around all the DRM issues.
For how long though? There's a lot of nasty stuff brewing in that area trying to get pushed thru government law or the FCC.

The key feature of digital is control (even though most people don't realize it yet). There are groups already working on plans to rig all digital connectors so that only a device (legal or paid for privilege) would be allowed to accept the signal.

Currently we're all still working with analog signals, but one everything gets changed to digital signals (and connectors) that's where I see the problem starting. Although that won't be for a few years yet.

Meanwhile, got till July of 2005 before the hardware has to obey the "broadcast flag" for DTV signals. At least that shouldn't effect use analog users, but how long will analog be around?

Considering, in the computer world, 2 years is about time to rebuild or buy new, I guess HDTV might be viable for the short term. I'm thinking further down the line though, say 5 or 7 years when DTV may actually hit everyone.

Last edited by mls; 08-29-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by mls
For how long though? There's a lot of nasty stuff brewing in that area trying to get pushed thru government law or the FCC.
No idea, I'm just hoping. I figure it will happen sooner or later.

Quote:
The key feature of digital is control (even though most people don't realize it yet). There are groups already working on plans to rig all digital connectors so that only a device (legal or paid for privilege) would be allowed to accept the signal.
Yes, it's already here, HDCP, HDMI, 5C firewire, Cablecard, etc.

Quote:
Currently we're all still working with analog signals, but one everything gets changed to digital signals (and connectors) that's where I see the problem starting. Although that won't be for a few years yet.
Analog connections will be around for a very long time, we won't see the demise of analog STB outputs untill nearly every home has a TV with digital input. And I don't see that happening soon, first there are all the early HDTV adopters that bought HDTVs w/o digital connections, then there are all the people who don't care about HDTV and won't be upgrading their sets.

Yes digital broadcast/transmition will be the only way soon (5-10 years) but analog connections will be around long after that.

Quote:
Meanwhile, got till July of 2005 before the hardware has to obey the "broadcast flag" for DTV signals. At least that shouldn't effect use analog users, but how long will analog be around?
Do you really think cable/sat companies are going to alienate their customers by forcing digital connections?

Quote:
Considering, in the computer world, 2 years is about time to rebuild or buy new, I guess HDTV might be viable for the short term. I'm thinking further down the line though, say 5 or 7 years when DTV may actually hit everyone.
That really only applies to processors/videocards/etc. TV cards have a much longer lifespan than that. TV standards don't change often, OTA isn't going to change for a long time.