SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:20 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I updated the MiBox firmware to the latest, but I can't figure out how to update the SageTV app. And is the SageTV app in the Google Play Store? When I do a voice search for SageTV it only shows content that contains SageTV, it doesn't find an app.
Yes, it's in the google play store under "SageTV Android Client".
Old 01-11-2022, 08:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I updated the MiBox firmware to the latest, but I can't figure out how to update the SageTV app. And is the SageTV app in the Google Play Store? When I do a voice search for SageTV it only shows content that contains SageTV, it doesn't find an app.
The app is in the google play store.... and Amazon store.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:56 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
The app is in the google play store.... and Amazon store.
I found it much easier to download the APK to a thumb drive and use the Android installer to load the miniclient to my streamer box. I don't have a keyboard on the streamer and finding the client on Google Play was unreliable and I have a short attention span.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Must be a security thing with google play. I think you should sideload AuroraStore, it should be able to update your apps

https://gitlab.com/AuroraOSS/AuroraStore
Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkoenig View Post
I found it much easier to download the APK to a thumb drive and use the Android installer to load the miniclient to my streamer box. I don't have a keyboard on the streamer and finding the client on Google Play was unreliable and I have a short attention span.
That's been my issue. How do you find the app. The f&*&^n Play store seems to be pushing me towards searching content within apps rather than just finding me an app that is called "SageTV". I may have to resort to sideloading.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's been my issue. How do you find the app. The f&*&^n Play store seems to be pushing me towards searching content within apps rather than just finding me an app that is called "SageTV". I may have to resort to sideloading.
I just did a search on my FireTV for SageTV and the app is in the store ... Typed in SageTV moved down clicked on SageTV and the app is there.

Last edited by nyplayer; 01-11-2022 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
With my android phone connected to my router's wi-fi (with Pi-Hole DNS lookup) a Google Play search for 'sagetv' doesn't resolve. When I switch to Verizon data it comes up and finds the client as the top result. When I search on my wi-fi connected laptop I am able to find the sagetv client. I have no idea why, just that some combinations of device and network works and some don't.
Network: gB Lan
Playback: FireStick 4K miniclient
Tech Level: Hobbyist
Old 01-11-2022, 03:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb4 View Post
With my android phone connected to my router's wi-fi (with Pi-Hole DNS lookup) a Google Play search for 'sagetv' doesn't resolve. When I switch to Verizon data it comes up and finds the client as the top result. When I search on my wi-fi connected laptop I am able to find the sagetv client. I have no idea why, just that some combinations of device and network works and some don't.
Interesting. I am a Pi-Holer as well so I will try turning off Pi-Hole and see if I can find it.

BTW, for anyone reading this you should try Pi-Hole. Especially if you are running unRAID as it is easy to set up in a docker. Once I got used to it I began to hate using PCs that don't have an ad blocker.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Interesting. I am a Pi-Holer as well so I will try turning off Pi-Hole and see if I can find it.

BTW, for anyone reading this you should try Pi-Hole. Especially if you are running unRAID as it is easy to set up in a docker. Once I got used to it I began to hate using PCs that don't have an ad blocker.
Agree. Alternatively you can use Unbound with a block list if running pfSense or OPNSense.
Old 01-12-2022, 05:01 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
BTW, for anyone reading this you should try Pi-Hole. Especially if you are running unRAID as it is easy to set up in a docker.
I think I've found my project for this weekend I currently use uBlock Origin plugin in chrome, but this seems much better.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:18 AM
Sage Advanced User

So I am a home assistant user - a home automation system that can take all those "smart" things in a house and make them actually smart - and I was going to make an automation that would automatically turn off the livingroom tv if it is left paused for too long. I have an OLED tv and my wife has a habit of pausing the tv and leaving it that way for ages, and depending on the app, it might go to the Shield's screensaver (which I am fine with) but some will just leave the frozen video on the screen forever which is less than ideal.

Anyway, TLDR, all this to say that when I did this, I found that the sage miniclient app always reports that the Shield is in a "paused/idle" state no matter if there is something playing or not, so my automation would turn the tv off if I watch sage for longer than 15 minutes, which obviously isn't ideal!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
So I am a home assistant user - a home automation system that can take all those "smart" things in a house and make them actually smart - and I was going to make an automation that would automatically turn off the livingroom tv if it is left paused for too long. I have an OLED tv and my wife has a habit of pausing the tv and leaving it that way for ages, and depending on the app, it might go to the Shield's screensaver (which I am fine with) but some will just leave the frozen video on the screen forever which is less than ideal.

Anyway, TLDR, all this to say that when I did this, I found that the sage miniclient app always reports that the Shield is in a "paused/idle" state no matter if there is something playing or not, so my automation would turn the tv off if I watch sage for longer than 15 minutes, which obviously isn't ideal!
HA user here

What shows in the Sage Webserver? It show correctly for me, but I dont use HA for any TV releateded autmatons

If you updated your box to android 11(nvidia shield) , it breaks the HA integration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassista...today_updates/
Old 01-22-2022, 06:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technazz View Post
HA user here

What shows in the Sage Webserver? It show correctly for me, but I dont use HA for any TV releateded autmatons

If you updated your box to android 11(nvidia shield) , it breaks the HA integration.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassista...today_updates/
I was lucky enough to see the notice before the update to 11 hit my Shield, so I avoided it. Unfortunately, my web server was broken by the recent update to Jetty 9 and still troubleshooting it on another thread, so can't tell you what it shows there at the moment.
Old 01-22-2022, 07:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just wanted to sing the praises of the Android MiniClient. I have noticed that it performs better than Plex with 4K HDR content on my Firestick 4K. Plex will stutter during the initial seconds of playback and is not as quick during skipping. Many thanks to Sean and Josh, it's truly an achievement.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post

What do you mean when you say the miniclient app reports that the shield is in a paused state? Can you use a call to the Sagex api to query if a file is currently playing on that specific miniclient?
Old 01-22-2022, 11:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trk2 View Post
I just wanted to sing the praises of the Android MiniClient. I have noticed that it performs better than Plex with 4K HDR content on my Firestick 4K. Plex will stutter during the initial seconds of playback and is not as quick during skipping. Many thanks to Sean and Josh, it's truly an achievement.
Good to know. What is the best device to use. It seems that it was always the Shield, but it sounds like a recent Shield update F'ed up all kinds of apps on the device.
Old 01-23-2022, 07:56 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Good to know. What is the best device to use. It seems that it was always the Shield, but it sounds like a recent Shield update F'ed up all kinds of apps on the device.
I don't have the Shield, but I would have thought the Shield would be best as it has plenty of processing power. For the price it's hard to beat the Firestick and if I were buying one I would go with the latest version (4k max). The only thing I don't like is the limited number of discrete commands on the bluetooth remote. But since you can connect a bluetooth keyboard maybe there's a method to add additional commands to get around the long press / short press functionality that I dislike. I'll look into it someday I suppose.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I don't have the Shield, but I would have thought the Shield would be best as it has plenty of processing power. For the price it's hard to beat the Firestick and if I were buying one I would go with the latest version (4k max). The only thing I don't like is the limited number of discrete commands on the bluetooth remote. But since you can connect a bluetooth keyboard maybe there's a method to add additional commands to get around the long press / short press functionality that I dislike. I'll look into it someday I suppose.
I have an older firestick, so I will have to try that again. I find those remotes very frustrating, but once SageTV is up and running it isn't an issue as I use a home automation system called Control4 and I have a driver that uses IP commands that works well.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I don't have the Shield, but I would have thought the Shield would be best as it has plenty of processing power.
is anyone running the client on a shield pro with the latest 9.0 shield experience load?

since i upgraded to the 9.0 android load for the shield pro, i have been unable to use sageTV. the app/client runs, seems to connect to the server, but leaves a mostly black screen with a few lines of color. i've tried rebooting both the server and the client, with no success.

the server is working fine, is happily making recordings, and is working fine with my other two nvidia shield boxes (which i have NOT upgraded to 9.0 shield experience).

anyone else seeing this (or not) with the new nvidia firmware?

a second topic: (which may be related?)
my server is a bit out of date. i'm running sage v9.1.5.156 and the machine has java 1.8.0_101 according to the information page in the client.
so,
1. i assume i should upgrade a few things. if i upgrade to the latest server, does that automatically give me the jetty and other updates, or must that be done separately?
2. it has been so long, that i've forgotten the update procedures and my old notes are who knows where. i will also update openDCT.

could someone please give me a simple sequence of steps to update everything on my linux sageTV server? i'm running ubuntu 21.10 on a 7i7 NUC.

thanks, and really glad to see the activity here.

edit: can i update the sagetv server without updating jetty or is that required? i just went through the jetty3 thread and think i should go in small steps, and fix one problem
before possibly incurring a second wound.

Last edited by cat6man; 01-23-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:59 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have an older firestick, so I will have to try that again. I find those remotes very frustrating, but once SageTV is up and running it isn't an issue as I use a home automation system called Control4 and I have a driver that uses IP commands that works well.
I didn't even think of using IP commands, but I imagine that is the best solution. Thanks for the idea!