SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
SageTV has always been able to play embedded subtitles in MKV ... I do not know why it won't play on the ShieldTV. The Problem is with Closed captions.
I hadn't realized it worked at all because it doesn't work on my SageTV client (PC) nor on Shield TV. In my house it's the exception not the rule.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:04 AM
SageTVaholic

Android tablet which runs Mini Client?

Can anyone recommend an Android tablet which has the ability to run the Mini Client AND mainstream VPN services? My Amazon tablet does run the Miniclient, but does not have the proper core elements to allow VPN services to be installed and run.

I don’t want to get into rooting a tablet either, for the meantime at least.

The Amazon Fire tablet lacks “tun.ok” drivers, and the Android store drivers available don’t work, so, no VPN with Amazon.

What other Android tablets DO have NATIVE, tun.ko support for VPN services?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Can anyone recommend an Android tablet which has the ability to run the Mini Client AND mainstream VPN services? My Amazon tablet does run the Miniclient, but does not have the proper core elements to allow VPN services to be installed and run.

The Amazon Fire tablet lacks “tun.ok” drivers, and the Android store drivers available don’t work, so, no VPN with Amazon.

I have a 2021 Amazon 10" Fire tablet that works fine with Wireguard.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Have you looked at the Fire Toolbox tool? It it a easy to use GUI that allows you to add/modify the software on the Amazon tablets. It does not require that you root the device either. Using the toolbox, you can easily add the Google services that are missing. If that doesn't fix the missing software itself, I suspect it will allow you to install the missing software at that point.

https://www.xda-developers.com/amazo...-fire-tablets/

I've used it on all my Amazon tablets and it is great for removing the "lock screen ads" as well as adding the Google services and removing the unwanted Amazon apps.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 11-16-2021, 02:03 PM
SageTVaholic

thanks everyone, should have been more clear - NOTHING from Amazon.

My main VPN service has requirements which their tablets can't be relied on for.

Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2021, 02:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
Have you looked at the Fire Toolbox tool? It it a easy to use GUI that allows you to add/modify the software on the Amazon tablets. It does not require that you root the device either. Using the toolbox, you can easily add the Google services that are missing. If that doesn't fix the missing software itself, I suspect it will allow you to install the missing software at that point.

I've used it on all my Amazon tablets and it is great for removing the "lock screen ads" as well as adding the Google services and removing the unwanted Amazon apps.
But thanks, I'll give this a try - getting rid of the lock-screens would be nice though
Old 11-17-2021, 10:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

REMOVING LOCKSCREEN warning: since you removed your lockscreens, have you been chastised, harassed or denied service in anyway from Amazon? That warning Fire Toolbox throws up when you're about to remove the lockscreen seems fairly ominous....
Old 11-17-2021, 08:15 PM
Sage User

The android miniclient runs great on my Chromebook. That could be an option.
Old 11-17-2021, 10:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclayto View Post
The android miniclient runs great on my Chromebook. That could be an option.
I’ve got one, if need be. The portability of a tablet is my main need, for casting to tv, room by room
Old 11-22-2021, 10:19 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
REMOVING LOCKSCREEN warning: since you removed your lockscreens, have you been chastised, harassed or denied service in anyway from Amazon? That warning Fire Toolbox throws up when you're about to remove the lockscreen seems fairly ominous....
Never. I have had 4 Amazon tablets that I have used this toolbox with and never had any issues from Amazon. I still use 2 of the devices regularly - the other two have been turned in to Amazon through their "recycle" program.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Old 11-22-2021, 07:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Never. I have had 4 Amazon tablets that I have used this toolbox with and never had any issues from Amazon. I still use 2 of the devices regularly - the other two have been turned in to Amazon through their "recycle" program.
okay, thanks. I take it you got the same warning of doom?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
okay, thanks. I take it you got the same warning of doom?
I honestly don't recall that "warning", but it very well may be because I simply ignored it and went on about my business. I routinely root my Android phones, etc where these types of warnings are standard but harmless and are only "CYA" in nature. I'd expect the warning while using the toolbox to be similar.
OpenDCT
Old 12-09-2021, 01:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile Gratitude and good news post!

Just a quick post about a success. My wife just had some surgery which put her in bed a lot. I quickly put together a TV that let her watch Netflix and Prime, but we were missing our massive Sage library of content. I brought out a 2 year-old Android box (a $50 Kingbox) that I had messed around with the Android mini-client. After a quick update to the latest mini-client version, we dove in.

Great results! WAF through the roof! We watched recorded TV and a movie with near perfect experience. The only thing that I can't get to work so far is playing .MP4 movies. Luckily, we have lots of Christmas movies saved as .MKV so she's a very happy patient.

So grateful to the Sage authors for their dedication and skill!
Old 12-09-2021, 01:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Glad to hear that. You might want to buy a SageTV extender which should work for MP4 as well. Some folks have been getting rid of theirs recently.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have had 5 extenders let me down. I also appreciate the built-in wi-fi that the Android boxes provide. More likely, I will transcode the MP4s to MKVs.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

I had some time to do some testing....Below are my settings and results. With V1.93 I never can get ExoPlayer stable without transcoding but it has the best result when video is transcoded. I had mixed results with no transcoding but the best results where using Nvidia Shield Tube with IJKPlayer/Dynamic.

One feature I wish the client had is the option to have multiple profiles settings. Also have the ability to save/export profiles to file. This would allow profiles to be shared and changed quickly. @jvl711 were are the settings stored for the client. With testing my custom keys would get lost if I had to downgrade. This happens because the previous version needs to be removed before sideloading again. This causes all settings including the keys and ID to be lost.

Overall I am happy with the performance on the Nvidia Shield and I use it on our main TV since my HD200 started to lockup(I opened the HD200 and it has bad cap problems....I will post a future post on a repair). Overall the only thing that is missing is Closed Captioning. Thanks jvl711 and stuckless providing this development to the community.

Sorry for the dashes but the forum will not keep spaces or tab formatting

Unraid Docker Linux SageTv V9.2.6.1(Java 16)
SageTvTranscoder (FFmpeg) Linux by jvl711
MediaFormatParserPlugin:
---1: Manually unzip and install .JAR in server\JARs\
---2: Add line mediafile_mediaformat_parser_plugin=jvl.mediaformat.MediaFormatParserPlugin to sage.properties
Clients SageMC Setup: Main->Global UI Options->Animation->Core Animations: Disabled
Capture Device: HDHR Quad without OpenDCT

FireStick 4K or Nvidia Shield Tube (Remote Streaming Transcoding)
Results: Working. Sometimes on skip audio stops working but skipping back and forth recovers the audio. If skip past live time point or past a recording will get a ExoPlayer Expection
sagetv-miniclient :V1.9.3
Default Player: ExoPlayer
Streaming Mode: Fixed
Fixed Transcodeing Settings (All Other settting work adjust based on network bandwidth)
---Transcoding Preference: Always
---Container Format: MKV
Fixed Remuxin Settings
---Remuxing Prefenence: Always
---Remuxing Container Format: MKV
Use OpenGl UI: Checked

FireStick 4K (Local Mode no Transcoding)
Network: 5Ghz Wifi(Analiti Speed Test 243mbit Download)
-sagetv-miniclient :V1.9.1
--Default Player/Streaming Mode:
---ExoPlayer/Dynamic : Studdering Video/Audio studdering and out of sync. Some videos stop on source error
---ExoPlayer/Pull : Black screen video never starts
---IJKPlayer/Dynamic:: Black screen with Audio
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Recorded files work sometimes but timeline jumps to end then takes 4s to start. Live Stream Does not work and plays for few seconds than stops. Workaround record live stream and watch and do not FF to live point.
-sagetv-miniclient :V1.9.3
---ExoPlayer/Dynamic : Studdering Video/Audio studdering and out of sync. Some videos stop on source error
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Black screen with Audio and stops
Fixed Remuxin Settings

Nvidia Shield Tube (Local Mode no Transcoding)
Network: Wired 1Gbit
---IJKPlayer/Dynamic: Recorded/Live Working No Problem. Slow for few seconds but perfect after ~4s
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Recorded working. Live Stream Does not work and plays for few seconds than stops. Workaround record live stream and watch and do not FF to live point.
-Fixed Remuxin Settings

Last edited by hvymetal; 12-12-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
I had some time to do some testing....Below are my settings and results. With V1.93 I never can get ExoPlayer stable without transcoding but it has the best result when video is transcoded. I had mixed results with no transcoding but the best results where using Nvidia Shield Tube with IJKPlayer/Dynamic.

One feature I wish the client had is the option to have multiple profiles settings. Also have the ability to save/export profiles to file. This would allow profiles to be shared and changed quickly. @jvl711 were are the settings stored for the client. With testing my custom keys would get lost if I had to downgrade. This happens because the previous version needs to be removed before sideloading again. This causes all settings including the keys and ID to be lost.

Overall I am happy with the performance on the Nvidia Shield and I use it on our main TV since my HD200 started to lockup(I opened the HD200 and it has bad cap problems....I will post a future post on a repair). Overall the only thing that is missing is Closed Captioning. Thanks jvl711 and stuckless providing this development to the community.

Sorry for the dashes but the forum will not keep spaces or tab formatting

Unraid Docker Linux SageTv V9.2.6.1(Java 16)
SageTvTranscoder (FFmpeg) Linux by jvl711
MediaFormatParserPlugin:
---1: Manually unzip and install .JAR in server\JARs\
---2: Add line mediafile_mediaformat_parser_plugin=jvl.mediaformat.MediaFormatParserPlugin to sage.properties
Clients SageMC Setup: Main->Global UI Options->Animation->Core Animations: Disabled
Capture Device: HDHR Quad without OpenDCT

FireStick 4K or Nvidia Shield Tube (Remote Streaming Transcoding)
Results: Working. Sometimes on skip audio stops working but skipping back and forth recovers the audio. If skip past live time point or past a recording will get a ExoPlayer Expection
sagetv-miniclient :V1.9.3
Default Player: ExoPlayer
Streaming Mode: Fixed
Fixed Transcodeing Settings (All Other settting work adjust based on network bandwidth)
---Transcoding Preference: Always
---Container Format: MKV
Fixed Remuxin Settings

FireStick 4K (Local Mode no Transcoding)
Network: 5Ghz Wifi(Analiti Speed Test 243mbit Download)
-sagetv-miniclient :V1.9.1
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Recorded files work sometimes but timeline jumps to end then takes 4s to start. Live Stream Does not work and plays for few seconds than stops. Workaround record live stream and watch and do not FF to live point.
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Black screen with Audio and stops
Fixed Remuxin Settings

Nvidia Shield Tube (Local Mode no Transcoding)
Network: Wired 1Gbit
---IJKPlayer/Dynamic: Recorded/Live Working No Problem. Slow for few seconds but perfect after ~4s
---IJKPlayer/Pull : Recorded working. Live Stream Does not work and plays for few seconds than stops. Workaround record live stream and watch and do not FF to live point.
-Fixed Remuxin Settings
Hi,

There is a lot of detail there!!! I think some updates to the Wiki to explain some of these settings would probably be helpful. The different streaming options are not very clear, and I think the least clear is the one I created "Fixed". I definitely need to update the summary on that. I would say that "Fixed" is now the preferred streaming method and is the most capable and adaptive method. It is also they only way to do "HD Transcoding" or Remuxing. Depending on the preferences Fixed will stream without transcoding or remuxing. On my personal config, I used Fixed and set transcoding and remux to when needed. This allows the client and SageTV to determine when to transcode.

Documentation is not something I like to do , and is usually and after thought. I will try and see if I can add some Wiki details about the streaming modes and transcoding/remuxing settings.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

One data point here is that I've noticed if I use IJK Player and turn off hardware decoder for MPEG2 I can get reliable skipping. Otherwise it will occasionally jump to a random location when skipping around.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
One data point here is that I've noticed if I use IJK Player and turn off hardware decoder for MPEG2 I can get reliable skipping. Otherwise it will occasionally jump to a random location when skipping around.
You really should state what your source is .... As using OPENDCT with connects the mpeg2 has no problem what so ever using EXOPLAYER.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure how many read the Linux Docker Thread so I'll post this for others to adapt for other installations.

I decided to update my SageTV Docker installation so Android Mini Client would work better. Below is a HOWTO for installing everything below in one UnRaid docker container:
  • Unraid Docker image using stuckless-sagetv-server-java11
  • OpenDCT with folder to the AppData folder mapped
  • Samba Share for media mapping so Unriad Recycle Plugin Works
  • Updated SageTV Server script for updating
  • jv711_SageTVTranscoder-FFmpeg
  • New Transcoder Profiles
  • jv711_MediaFormatParserPlugin
  • MiniClient Settings to for recordings from OpenDCT or Transcoded Copy
  • SageMC procedure for Best Experience on MiniClient
  • Batch Transcode Copy to MKV procedure to fix videos for playback on MiniClient

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...073#post632073