SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure why everyone is trying to use Sage client remotely directly. Why not set up VPN so it is more secure. I use wireguard(Sideloaded) directly on a fireTV stick. The sever is a cheap GliNet router(GL-MT300) that has the factory firmware with OpenWRT backend and have wireguard GUI built in. Also the advantage of using VPN you will also be able to use other services(Amazon, NetFlix, Disney+, HULU, and secure web browering) when traveling internationally. Also Wiregaurd has a client app for Andriod and IOS.

Just as example I just traveled to Europe while using the fireTV stick. Was able to use the mini client by using transcoding always 3000kps/720P with no problem. Not best quality as being local but served its purpose. The only problem I seen was fast forward was not very responsive and it would lock sometimes. Commercial skip was ok.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
Not sure why everyone is trying to use Sage client remotely directly. Why not set up VPN so it is more secure. I use wireguard(Sideloaded) directly on a fireTV stick. The sever is a cheap GliNet router(GL-MT300) that has the factory firmware with OpenWRT backend and have wireguard GUI built in. Also the advantage of using VPN you will also be able to use other services(Amazon, NetFlix, Disney+, HULU, and secure web browering) when traveling internationally. Also Wiregaurd has a client app for Andriod and IOS.

Just as example I just traveled to Europe while using the fireTV stick. Was able to use the mini client by using transcoding always 3000kps/720P with no problem. Not best quality as being local but served its purpose. The only problem I seen was fast forward was not very responsive and it would lock sometimes. Commercial skip was ok.
The Miniclients work great remotely without a VPN so why would I install something extra that is not needed to access SageTV remotely ?
Old 08-08-2021, 01:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
The Miniclients work great remotely without a VPN so why would I install something extra that is not needed to access SageTV remotely ?
If you do not care of security or believe in security by obscurity....you don't. I on the other hand do not trust opening my SageTV server directly to the internet. From my experience security by obscurity does not cut it anymore. Especially using a remote connection in Europe where hacking is a fulltime career

Last edited by hvymetal; 08-08-2021 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymetal View Post
If you do not care of security or believe in security by obscurity....you don't. I on the other hand do not trust opening my SageTV server directly to the internet. From my experience security by obscurity does not cut it anymore. Especially using a remote connection in Europe where hacking is a fulltime career
Have had it open for over10 years no problem.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:24 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojones View Post
Phelme - is your use case over lan or wan?

I think it may matter. Over lan the 1.8.1 was flawless for me (and I think most of us)... introduce lag and packet loss from wan (even fast wan) and 1.8.1 stops where 1.8.0 keeps going. Using Exo in my case.
sorry for the late response, don't get on here as much as I use to.

to answer your question, it's over a WAN. I may change that in the future, but none of the streamers have a problem (including using Plex for local media).

I think I figured out my problem though, the stick is running out of storage! Google, because they are apparently going broke , only spec'd 8 GB of overall storage on the Chromecast w/GTV. I've run out of the roughly 4.4GB of space that gives the consumer for apps & their caching. I checked and it was running at 0 MB free.

So what I believe i is happening is the OS on the stick is trying to free up space constantly to give the Mini client some cache space and this was causing the halts. I'm going to do the USB hub with a stick drive attached mod to get around this.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:21 PM
Sage Advanced User

h264 Playback

I notice that for my normal OTA recording with my HDHomeRun everything is smooth with the MiniClient.

For recordings with my BM1000 type device that produces h.264/5 ts files however, there are problems with playback that force me to go to another room and use a pc frontend. The files will start playing and just do strange things like jump back to the start and looping continuously, or just jump to the end.

Is there some setting for h.264 ts files that I might have overlooked?
Old 08-17-2021, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukmandutty View Post
I notice that for my normal OTA recording with my HDHomeRun everything is smooth with the MiniClient.

For recordings with my BM1000 type device that produces h.264/5 ts files however, there are problems with playback that force me to go to another room and use a pc frontend. The files will start playing and just do strange things like jump back to the start and looping continuously, or just jump to the end.

Is there some setting for h.264 ts files that I might have overlooked?
it's not you, it's them. I have similar problems with HD-PVR TS recordings with both playback methods. once they are converted to MKV (which I do overnight) they're fine. if you go back in the thread, somewhere the issue is discussed.

one tip though when using problem TS files, do a jump and then wait. Sometimes it'll stick and do what you expect.
Old 08-18-2021, 02:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

Hi All,

This is somewhat a repost from my Patreon account. I wanted to let you guys know what I have been working on. I have published a beta for my Supporters to take a look at. In the mean time, while they beat it up and give me feedback, here are some details.

Added remuxing support to Android Client and SageTV

I know this is a long time in coming. Honestly the Android Client and SageTV changes to get this to work were fairly straight forward. It is the other issues which I am struggling to find resolutions to. I think, but am not sure, that these are core bugs. I am going to post them as limitations at this point, but I will tell you that I am continuing to look into them. I have not given up on them yet!

Know Issues:
  • When remuxing (or transcoding for that matter), live tv transition from one timeslot/program to another does not always work. Sometimes playback just freezes. I have commited changes to try and resolve this, which have not completely resolved it.
  • Sometimes, Android client gets confused on the time position. This is a newer issue I have not seen before, and I need to investigate further. I think Sage looses track of the time of the current playback position.

To use the new beta version of the client, you will need to use the beta Sage.jar. All changes to the Sage.jar have been pushed to the master SageTV repository, and have been reviewed by Jeff, but they are still beta, and would not be available in production until a new release is published.

I think the best use case currently for this addition is to remux unsupported containers, but it can be used to remux all containers. My plan is to give the end user the ability to turn on/off container support. This way Sage could be forced to remux a specific container, even if it is "supported" by the client. For instance the pesky .TS/.PS containers.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions. I will try and update you guys on the progress of the beta.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Hi All,

This is somewhat a repost from my Patreon account. I wanted to let you guys know what I have been working on. I have published a beta for my Supporters to take a look at. In the mean time, while they beat it up and give me feedback, here are some details.

Added remuxing support to Android Client and SageTV

I know this is a long time in coming. Honestly the Android Client and SageTV changes to get this to work were fairly straight forward. It is the other issues which I am struggling to find resolutions to. I think, but am not sure, that these are core bugs. I am going to post them as limitations at this point, but I will tell you that I am continuing to look into them. I have not given up on them yet!

Know Issues:
  • When remuxing (or transcoding for that matter), live tv transition from one timeslot/program to another does not always work. Sometimes playback just freezes. I have commited changes to try and resolve this, which have not completely resolved it.
  • Sometimes, Android client gets confused on the time position. This is a newer issue I have not seen before, and I need to investigate further. I think Sage looses track of the time of the current playback position.

To use the new beta version of the client, you will need to use the beta Sage.jar. All changes to the Sage.jar have been pushed to the master SageTV repository, and have been reviewed by Jeff, but they are still beta, and would not be available in production until a new release is published.

I think the best use case currently for this addition is to remux unsupported containers, but it can be used to remux all containers. My plan is to give the end user the ability to turn on/off container support. This way Sage could be forced to remux a specific container, even if it is "supported" by the client. For instance the pesky .TS/.PS containers.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions. I will try and update you guys on the progress of the beta.

Josh
Just a follow up that I am pretty sure that I have finally solved the Live TV program transition issue that has plagued me for many months. I posted a new Beta to my Patreon supporters that has Remuxing support, and fixed live tv remuxing/transcoding.

I am currently testing this release in my production SageTV setup. If I see no issues, and do not get any show stoppers from the Patreon crew I am going to release this to production. I would expect that to happen in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:33 AM
SageTVaholic

I haven't used the ATV client recently. What are the best devices for ATV? I used a MiBox in the past and it was mediocre. Are the current options the Shield and the newer Google Chromecast? Anything else? If there is another thread with this info then please point me there.
Old 09-05-2021, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I haven't used the ATV client recently. What are the best devices for ATV? I used a MiBox in the past and it was mediocre. Are the current options the Shield and the newer Google Chromecast? Anything else? If there is another thread with this info then please point me there.
The GoogleTV w/Chromecast and the Amazon 4K FireTV stick are about equal and relatively inexpensive. The FireTV stick is superior IMO because it supports AC3 on-board and that format is in a lot of the content I still record. Plex has to transcode the audio on the server end because of this. Not sure what Google was thinking here.

Edit: BTW. Amazon just announced a newer, faster version of the 4K Fire Stick.

Last edited by phelme; 09-09-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Is there a way to get the miniclient to support Close Captions natively ? Right now I have to extract the CC to subtitles.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

New version has been posted to Google and Amazon. If they are approved they should hopefully go live in the next day or so.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/55996234

The main feature of this release is remux support. You will need the beta Sage.jar to take advantage of the remuxing capabilities.

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Is there a way to get the miniclient to support Close Captions natively ? Right now I have to extract the CC to subtitles.
We would need ExoPlayer to support it. It is hard to tell from this page if it does or does not support it. It looks like it does in streaming formats, but I think we are using progressive formats I think.

Here is the support content: https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-10-2021, 08:54 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
We would need ExoPlayer to support it. It is hard to tell from this page if it does or does not support it. It looks like it does in streaming formats, but I think we are using progressive formats I think.

Here is the support content: https://exoplayer.dev/supported-formats.html

Josh
EMBY and Plex both use EXOPLAYER and I get CC. I am in the process of downsizing my Server footprint and that includes running as few tasks against my recordings as possible.... but it is no big deal just wondering. I have OPENDCT creating the subtitles for now.

Last edited by nyplayer; 09-10-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:06 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
EMBY and Plex both use EXOPLAYER and I get CC. I am in the process of downsizing my Server footprint and that includes running as few tasks against my recordings as possible.... but it is no big deal just wondering. I have OPENDCT creating the subtitles for now.
ExoPlayer does support some CC formats, but I have no idea what implementing them would entail.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Strange playback problem with Amazon Firestick

When watching recorded, or currently-recording shows via app on an Amazon Firestick, I get a timeline time error, in so much that I cannot rewind or fast forward the content properly, nor does it always show an accurate representation of how much recorded material there is/has elapsed.
It’s likely a setting I don’t understand.
Anyone have a suggestion?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just an FYI. Amazon is taking it's time reviewing and releasing latest version. It looks like they are having some large delays in reviewing the apps.

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 09-14-2021, 08:26 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just an FYI. Amazon is taking it's time reviewing and releasing latest version. It looks like they are having some large delays in reviewing the apps.

Josh
When it arrives at Amazon, what will the version # be?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 09-14-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
When it arrives at Amazon, what will the version # be?
v1.9.1
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder