SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:11 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Which is why I’d never buy Samsung again, as they stop supporting ANY tv they sell the day it’s sold.
I feel that way about Sony. The reason, the Android TV decides to update and reboot WHILE I am watching TV. It does not matter that I have turned off auto updates, it still does what it wants whenever it wants.
Tuner: HDHomeRun Connect Duo
Sources: OTA, Sling Blue, Prime, Disney+,
Clients: ShieldTV (2), Fire TV Stick 4K (4)
Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
I feel that way about Sony. The reason, the Android TV decides to update and reboot WHILE I am watching TV. It does not matter that I have turned off auto updates, it still does what it wants whenever it wants.
Neither of my 2 Sony smart TV's ever update unless I initiate an update manually by themselves. You should call their support or check their esupport site. My newest Sony is about 4 years old now, but I doubt that would make any difference. -Bill
Old 04-07-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Neither of my 2 Sony smart TV's ever update unless I initiate an update manually by themselves. You should call their support or check their esupport site. My newest Sony is about 4 years old now, but I doubt that would make any difference. -Bill
The TV is about 5 years old and I have talked with their support. They told me that it can not happen and I must be doing something wrong.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

I bought a new Sony about 6 months ago, and it tells me an update is ready but doesn't push it on me.

I was able to install the miniclient on the Sony, but it hangs up at times. I need to go back and try it again with the latest versions of all and see if it behaves better.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Weird. Sony: bony.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-07-2021, 09:00 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
I bought a new Sony about 6 months ago, and it tells me an update is ready but doesn't push it on me.

I was able to install the miniclient on the Sony, but it hangs up at times. I need to go back and try it again with the latest versions of all and see if it behaves better.
Please let us know. My wife’s getting cranky watching the 32” substitute from a distance and has threatened to buy “any big tv” if I don’t sort it out soon.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 04-07-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage Fanatic

My 4K Fire TV Stick just got the updated interface today. It looks really good, almost as good as ShieldTV. It lets you customize the position of every app ans also has profiles for different viewers. Welcome improvement.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogg View Post

Wow. An update. Never happened to any of my Samsung’s or Vizio’s. I’m hoping Toshiba lets Amazon update the FireTV OS. But does it creep anyone out to have Alexa inside your telly? She’s watching you...
Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
My 4K Fire TV Stick just got the updated interface today. It looks really good, almost as good as ShieldTV. It lets you customize the position of every app ans also has profiles for different viewers. Welcome improvement.
Are you talking about Fire OS 6.2.7.7? Or are you talking about something different?

To answer my own question, the update that was mentioned is for Fire OS 6.2.8.0
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls

Last edited by KeithAbbott; 04-08-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Documented updated version of Fire OS
Old 04-07-2021, 09:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The TV is about 5 years old and I have talked with their support. They told me that it can not happen and I must be doing something wrong.
Well, at least someone answers the phone. Looks like I found my answer about Toshiba TV’s with Amazon’s Fire TV built in. Seems owners are s@#$ out of luck:

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...-storage-issue

and now they’re for sale: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cvc-o...151850931.html

hmmmm

Last edited by tvmaster2; 04-07-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Ha h ha I am not looking but I will. I am liking Sagetv more and more than ChannelsDVR lately. Josh has really made big Improvements. Being able to add my own transcoding Profiles has been great.

You cannot beat SageTV for livetv.
I find that kind of anti-intuitive for my use. The one thing I virtually NEVER do is watch Live TV. With Comskip I almost never have to watch Live TV and waste valuable time (and brain cell damage) watching commercials.

Many folks will say "but what about sporting events, surely you watch those live?" NOPE, never, ever. Football Game, Baseball game, racing, all watched delayed. I start them recording and either wait until sometime after they've finished or if I really want to watch I watch something else recorded until the game/race/etc is maybe 1-1/2-2 hours in and then start watching. By the time I've skipped all the commercials and skipped all the talking head blather between plays I usually catch up to live around the time the event is over.
So instead of sitting watching a baseball game for 4 hrs I've only "wasted" 1-1/2 hours or so to watch the entire event. I've found that some pitchers in baseball have such a slow pace that you can use the 30 second skip between pitches and not miss a second of the actual game.

About the only time I'll turn on Live TV is in the morning while I make breakfast. And even then I'm not doing it through SageTV. I'm using the cable TV set top box on my TV.
Another big reason I never use Live TV on SageTV is that I rely pretty heavily on Intelligent Recording and Live TV reallly screws up IR.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Well, at least someone answers the phone. Looks like I found my answer about Toshiba TV’s with Amazon’s Fire TV built in. Seems owners are s@#$ out of luck:

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/questi...-storage-issue
I added a usb flash drive and moved applications. SageTV MiniClient uses very little storage as the buffer is at the Server. I have 2 gig out of 4 gig of storage available ... have ChannelsDVR HdHomerun SageTV prime etc all installed on it. Those folks probably have kodi and other stuff installed that stores images etc.. on it.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-07-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
I'll add a +2 to that. Myself and my friend Pat. Mine got a backlight failure in the lower left quadrant to the screen. Not too bad unless the right brightness (or was it darkness?) condition was in that quadrant. Then you could see a difference in the darkness in the little rectangle in the lower left of the screen.
My buddy Pat had his screen go bad as well. Luckily he still had several weeks left on the extended warranty he bought with the set. Of course the set was no longer in production so they gave him a choice of 2 models for replacement.
Got the replacement up on the wall with the help of myself and another friend. During setup there was nothing showing up on the screen. He did notice that the set was trying to gain access to his WiFi, but again no indication of anything on the screen. So online with Vizio tech who had him do some tests and confirmed the screen was DOA, so they were sending him a replacement-replacement.
At that point he had had enough of Vizio and bought a Sony and sold the "replacement-replacement" online.

I had no warranty option, mine was a couple months out of warranty naturally. <sigh> So I replaced it with an LG. No more Vizio for this guy either!

They typically get great reviews, but apparently they have a quality issue and fail WAY too soon. Although I do have a 32" Vizio on the wall up at my camp that is still chugging away. <fingers crossed>
I guess I'm the lucky one then. I have a Vizio TV (60" bought in 2014). Still going strong. Once my Sony (40" bought 2012 - CFL lit hahaha) in the living room dies, I'm going to get another Vizio. That is unless this quality issue you're having is for TVs newer than 7 years old.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4runnr View Post
I guess I'm the lucky one then. I have a Vizio TV (60" bought in 2014). Still going strong. Once my Sony (40" bought 2012 - CFL lit hahaha) in the living room dies, I'm going to get another Vizio. That is unless this quality issue you're having is for TVs newer than 7 years old.
You might want to do a little research on that before you make your buying decision, which is always a good idea. The way I understand it is Vizio ran into a bunch of bad displays at some point.
Not sure if they have rectified that situation, i'd bet they have, but it definitely would be worth looking into. It isn't uncommon for electronics companies to run into a spell of defective or unreliable components. I remember many years back when a prominent Motherboard company ended up with mobo's failing all over the place because they got a batch of bad capacitors from a supplier that were all failing.

The age of your Vizio and mine up at my camp which still works fine (at least as of last fall when I closed the camp for the season) are about the same. The Vizio of mine and Pat's that failed were bought at about the same time, although they were different size/models, just both Vizios.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:53 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I added a usb flash drive and moved applications. SageTV MiniClient uses very little storage as the buffer is at the Server. I have 2 gig out of 4 gig of storage available ... have ChannelsDVR HdHomerun SageTV prime etc all installed on it. Those folks probably have kodi and other stuff installed that stores images etc.. on it.
Are you using the HDHomerun app strictly for viewing copy-protected content and/or 4K content? I tried the app a while back on my Fire TV, and while it displayed the television content just fine, the navigation was close to unusable. Especially when compared to the EPG in SageTV.

Or am I missing something?
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-08-2021, 05:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynedunham View Post
You might want to do a little research on that before you make your buying decision, which is always a good idea. The way I understand it is Vizio ran into a bunch of bad displays at some point.
Not sure if they have rectified that situation, i'd bet they have, but it definitely would be worth looking into. It isn't uncommon for electronics companies to run into a spell of defective or unreliable components. I remember many years back when a prominent Motherboard company ended up with mobo's failing all over the place because they got a batch of bad capacitors from a supplier that were all failing.

The age of your Vizio and mine up at my camp which still works fine (at least as of last fall when I closed the camp for the season) are about the same. The Vizio of mine and Pat's that failed were bought at about the same time, although they were different size/models, just both Vizios.
I agree. Research is required. I'm not in the market for a TV right now so I'm not researching anything at the moment. I didn't expect this 40" Sony to still be running well but since it is, I'll keep using it.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Lol. Yeah, I went into Best Buy and looked at this menu. It seemed like there was loads of room for apps. I can’t imagine using more then 500mb of that 2g that’s available with apps I add later - Sage, Plex, Motortrend, couple others. My concern was the apparent difficulty people had getting help. I assumed Amazon would look after things, since it’s a FireTV install, and they’d want people to have a way to consistently buy crap off Amazon. Toshiba I have no faith in, especially since they went up for sale yesterday.
But Amazon bailing on updating the software is a concern.
Samsung’s bailed on supporting the software on every tv of theirs I ever bought, to the point where NO apps work.
Don’t buy one of those Samsung fridges with the giant touchscreen - all the software api’s will be dead in a year....
Old 04-08-2021, 07:27 AM
Sage Fanatic

Just wanted to post a shameless self praise story. .

I am on vacation in Florida, and I of course brought my Firestick 4k. Fits right in my tech bag without taking up much room... I was able to watch all of my SageTV content in HD without any real issues, with good quality. Last summer when I went on vacation I had to use Plex because realtime HD transcoding was not even possible. With the the new features that I added I was able to use SageTV this time. Channel changes where relatively quick, and the quality of the sound and video was really good. I think it is more responsive and just as high quality as Plex LiveTV.

I still need to work on the pesky LiveTV program switch issue. Still struggling with that one . But otherwise a relatively good success!

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:36 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Just wanted to post a shameless self praise story. .

I am on vacation in Florida, and I of course brought my Firestick 4k. Fits right in my tech bag without taking up much room... I was able to watch all of my SageTV content in HD without any real issues, with good quality. Last summer when I went on vacation I had to use Plex because realtime HD transcoding was not even possible. With the the new features that I added I was able to use SageTV this time. Channel changes where relatively quick, and the quality of the sound and video was really good. I think it is more responsive and just as high quality as Plex LiveTV.

I still need to work on the pesky LiveTV program switch issue. Still struggling with that one . But otherwise a relatively good success!

Josh
Excellent news. We all win from the work you’re doing for the app.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Are you using the HDHomerun app strictly for viewing copy-protected content and/or 4K content? I tried the app a while back on my Fire TV, and while it displayed the television content just fine, the navigation was close to unusable. Especially when compared to the EPG in SageTV.

Or am I missing something?
I am a kickstarter user so I am still not paying for the HDHomeRun DVR but I beta test their releases. You cannot play Protected content on Fire OS just AndroidTV , Windows and maybe Apple. For protected content and on Demand on my FireTV i use XFINITY Stream which was just added to Fire OS.