SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:33 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If you are using OPENDCT ... I would change this setting on all to encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
Ok, got it set to false on all the OpenDCT tuners, but true on the Hauppage tuner. Is that right?

Also, I can confirm that Sage is definitely transcoding the stream.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
Ok, got it set to false on all the OpenDCT tuners, but true on the Hauppage tuner. Is that right?

Also, I can confirm that Sage is definitely transcoding the stream.
If SageTV is transcoding the stream that would be your issue. The out of the box transcoding profile is not liked much by either IJKPlayer or ExoPlayer. Do you know why it is transcoding? What settings are you using for streaming in the Android client? Fixed, Push, Dynamic? Are you using my updated Sage.jar?

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
If SageTV is transcoding the stream that would be your issue. The out of the box transcoding profile is not liked much by either IJKPlayer or ExoPlayer. Do you know why it is transcoding? What settings are you using for streaming in the Android client? Fixed, Push, Dynamic? Are you using my updated Sage.jar?

Thanks,
Josh
It's set on Dynamic and I didn't know there was a special jar to install... where do I get that? I saw that Sage itself hasn't been updated for almost a year...
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's set on Dynamic and I didn't know there was a special jar to install... where do I get that? I saw that Sage itself hasn't been updated for almost a year...
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=1
Old 03-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Oh geez, now I feel like a dummy... I'll install this and try it out.

Looks like I install the jar and then set the streaming mode to fixed?

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 03-13-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 06:51 AM
Sage Advanced User

Finally got a chance to try it over the weekend, and it seems to work! Except now I'm getting exoplayer errors during playback and video just goes black. Something about an unknown format (the error fades away very fast).
Old 03-17-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Finally got a chance to try it over the weekend, and it seems to work! Except now I'm getting exoplayer errors during playback and video just goes black. Something about an unknown format (the error fades away very fast).
I've had to go to IJKPlayer exclusively as Exoplayer keeps crashing on my Chromecast when shuttling. Someday I'll have to figure out how to save the client logs. :/
Old 03-17-2021, 11:16 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
I've had to go to IJKPlayer exclusively as Exoplayer keeps crashing on my Chromecast when shuttling. Someday I'll have to figure out how to save the client logs. :/
Are you using OPENDCT ... I am starting to think that is the problem as Imported Recordings from Channels DVR play flawlessly ... recording Via OPENDCT sometimes give me errors at the end. It has been years since FFMPEG in OpenDCT as been updated.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-17-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Are you using OPENDCT ... I am starting to think that is the problem as Imported Recordings from Channels DVR play flawlessly ... recording Via OPENDCT sometimes give me errors. It has been years since FFMPEG in OpenDCT as been updated.
No, I'm using PrimeNetEncoder for my HDHomeRuns. The two methods came out about the same time and as I remember it was somewhat easier to setup and since it still works never changed to OpenDCT.

it really is strange with the Exoplayer shuttling crashes, doesn't seem to happen on my Sony TV's w/Android or the FireSticks, but is common with the Chromecasts.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
No, I'm using PrimeNetEncoder for my HDHomeRuns. The two methods came out about the same time and as I remember it was somewhat easier to setup and since it still works never changed to OpenDCT.

it really is strange with the Exoplayer shuttling crashes, doesn't seem to happen on my Sony TV's w/Android or the FireSticks, but is common with the Chromecasts.
Can't you just Upgrade FFMPEG in PrimeNetEncoder and is that the one supported by Josh ? JVL711
Old 03-17-2021, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Since the HDHomeRun support team has made great strides in cleaning up the streams ... I am currently running with ...

opendct.consumer.RawSageTVConsumerImpl

Rock solid Raw seems to be much better and no problems at all seeking is better.

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-18-2021 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:44 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Since the HDHomeRun support team has made great strides in cleaning up the streams ... I am currently running with ...

Rock solid Raw seems to be much better and no problems at all seeking is better.
I might try that. I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back with everything, lol.

I think I've narrowed down that the exoplayer fails when the audio format in the stream changes (such as going from a stereo commercial to a 5.1 tv show)
Old 03-20-2021, 06:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

I was surprised to see you post this, so I tried it myself. I only tested for a little while, but I will say I saw 0 issues. Very interesting indeed!
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:36 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
I might try that. I feel like I take one step forward and two steps back with everything, lol.

I think I've narrowed down that the exoplayer fails when the audio format in the stream changes (such as going from a stereo commercial to a 5.1 tv show)
Can you try setting the use ffmpeg extension in ExoPlayer settings to always. That might help with the changes in the audio stream.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 03-20-2021, 03:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I was surprised to see you post this, so I tried it myself. I only tested for a little while, but I will say I saw 0 issues. Very interesting indeed!
Yeah I have been running with it ... much improvement over the FFMPEG one.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Can you try setting the use ffmpeg extension in ExoPlayer settings to always. That might help with the changes in the audio stream.
If you mean the setting under "ExoPlayer Settings and Information" > "ExoPlayer FFmpeg Audio Extension", it's already set to "Preferred - Always use if possible"
Old 03-23-2021, 10:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

What would be the benefit to switch from FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl to RawSageTVConsumerImpl? Is the benefit strictly for the Android MiniClient, or would there also be a benefit for extenders and/or client? I'm also assuming that we would need to be on recent firmware for the HDHR Prime devices, to get the cleaner streams that you are describing.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 03-23-2021, 11:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
What would be the benefit to switch from FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl to RawSageTVConsumerImpl? Is the benefit strictly for the Android MiniClient, or would there also be a benefit for extenders and/or client? I'm also assuming that we would need to be on recent firmware for the HDHR Prime devices, to get the cleaner streams that you are describing.
I do not use Extenders just Android/FireTV Clients. I always keep my firmware updated.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I created a profile that will simply remux to MKV you need to put it in the sage.properties file ... then you can set favorites to auto convert or manually convert files in Sage.... The only thing I could not get to work was showing the % converted it stays at 0 but completes in no time.

Code:
transcoder/formats/MKV-Remux\ MKV=f\=matroska;MCompressionDetails\=-c copy -map 0;]
Works great in converting to MKV no transcoding and move to preferred folder ...

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-28-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

I was using the Mini Client on my Nvidia Shields this weekend and had issues with both devices. The video would freeze every 2 seconds, then jump, then freeze. I disabled EXO player and the problem disappeared. I had previously disabled EXO player because of similar issues, but it somehow got re-enabled, presumably by an app update.

SageTV has worked for me for years, and then it suddenly stopped working. It's just the standard installation with a few plugins - I don't have the new transcode plugin installed because it breaks the Sage Mobile Web functionality.

My expectation would be that new releases would not cause this significant of a problem with existing installations. Any idea what would need to be done to solve this and prevent future issues?