SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gexi View Post
First let me say I think you've been doing awesome with the updates but I did end up having to rollback this time to 1.7.0 on my FireTV devices.

I tried completely rebuilding my SageTV install with 9.2.2 from the ground up, installed the updated SageTVTranscoder FFmpeg plugin, the Media Format Parser Plugin, as well as the new sage.jar that goes with them. I tried switching all the settings in exoplayer and ijk but nothing would let it play files that were working with the previous release.

Jumping back to the sideloaded 1.7.0 version and switching to ijk resolved all the issues and all media files are playable again. It appears that something in the 1.7.1 version has broken some file formats as well as in file seek in ijk on Amazon FireTV and FireTV Stick.
Could you tell me if the files that it is not supporting properly happen to be AVI container.

Thanks,
JOsh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Could you tell me if the files that it is not supporting properly happen to be AVI container.

Thanks,
JOsh
The ijk seek issue is occurring with a mp4 file
quicktime[h.264 16:9 1080p@30fps aac/256kbps@44.1khz] mp4 file
file starts with 0:00 time remaining and any attempt to fast forward results in starting over in 1.7.1.
Old 03-06-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage Icon

using 1.7.1 I'm getting pretty predictable crashes on the Google w/Chromecast stick when shuttling forward. Oddly, I get fewer on the Amazon Fire Stick 4k.

Is there a place I can send logs with the crashes?
Old 03-07-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage Fanatic

I have multiple shieldTVs running the last play store version that I can see (1.44), controlled with a harmony remote that presents itself as a windows keyboard. They work well enough, but seeking has recently stopped working, and I figure its time to update to an active platform.

I'm confused though as I see shieldtv references to both sideloading from github but also Google Play/Amazon (I also have a firestick in the mix). How do I get this installed, and is there a way to maintain the keyboard command mapping I had to set up manually with the Harmony?

Thanks to all for keeping it alive!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
I have multiple shieldTVs running the last play store version that I can see (1.44), controlled with a harmony remote that presents itself as a windows keyboard. They work well enough, but seeking has recently stopped working, and I figure its time to update to an active platform.

I'm confused though as I see shieldtv references to both sideloading from github but also Google Play/Amazon (I also have a firestick in the mix). How do I get this installed, and is there a way to maintain the keyboard command mapping I had to set up manually with the Harmony?

Thanks to all for keeping it alive!
Not sure about the keyboard mapping, I believe those are saved in the properties files on the server so you may be able to copy those over. I do know that if you move to the new version of the app sage sometimes considers it a new device so you may have to copy/set it up again.

As far as the app, 1.4.4 is the last version from stuckless before the fork that jvl711 has been working on in this thread which is now up to 1.7.1.

This link should take you to the latest on the play store 1.7.1: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.tv.debug

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Joshua-Lewis-...dp/B08BXYKMXV/

Sideload: https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv...lient/releases
Old 03-08-2021, 07:42 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm still having huge issues with audio corruption using exoplayer.

Nvidia ShieldTV. If I disable surround sound, audio in Sage completely doesn't work. If I enable it, audio comes through distorted to the point that you can't understand anything. Issues do not persist when using IJKPlayer, but that has a ton of other issues that make it irritating (different audio corruption occurring when exiting/entering commercials and issues with seeking where it doesn't want to skip forward or back until you hit the button several times).

Video info:
recorded from HDHR via OpenDCT.
Format:
MPEG2-TS [MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital 384kbps@48kHz 5.1 eng]

I'd be happy to provide any logs. Also, if I switch between IJK and exo during playback, the issue persists. It will only go away if I start from the time of connection with IJK. I've tried all the various options in the settings menu to no avail.

Client version 1.7.1. Exoplayer version 2.12.3
Old 03-08-2021, 03:18 PM
Sage User

I just discovered this new development over the weekend, after adding an nvidia shield into my client mix. All credit to Stuckless' original work but I could never quite get the original android client to get along with my old fire tv 1st gen - seems like that was a problematic platform.

With the new client 1.7.1 on the Shield, and using exoplayer, I did run into some problems. Recorded or live tv would play strangely (shuddery slow playback), and some imported videos would cause a playback exception. ijkplayer seems to work without any issues, but from reading this thread it seemed like I could expect better success than I initially had from exoplayer.

I just solved the first of these - it looks like despite having opendct installed and running on my ubuntu 16.04 / sagetv 9 VM for many years now, it was never actually using it, rather just using the HD Homerun (legacy white OTA model) directly over the network. Just got that resolved, and changed the tuner consumer settings to "opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl", and live TV now plays with exoplayer!

The imported videos which caused a problem I now notice were avi format, which I guess have to be transcoded. Is that something which would be fixed by substituting the custom sage.jar file in the first post? And if so, do I also have to select "fixed HD transcoding", or is this something negotiated between the client and sagetv. I couldn't quite understand from reading the thread...

This is some really great work (patreon joined btw!)- on the Shield I think this client feels more snappy in navigation than the HD300. If only there were more remote buttons!
Old 03-09-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWolf77 View Post
I'm still having huge issues with audio corruption using exoplayer.

Nvidia ShieldTV. If I disable surround sound, audio in Sage completely doesn't work. If I enable it, audio comes through distorted to the point that you can't understand anything. Issues do not persist when using IJKPlayer, but that has a ton of other issues that make it irritating (different audio corruption occurring when exiting/entering commercials and issues with seeking where it doesn't want to skip forward or back until you hit the button several times).

Video info:
recorded from HDHR via OpenDCT.
Format:
MPEG2-TS [MPEG2-Video 16:9 1080i@29.97fps, Dolby Digital 384kbps@48kHz 5.1 eng]

I'd be happy to provide any logs. Also, if I switch between IJK and exo during playback, the issue persists. It will only go away if I start from the time of connection with IJK. I've tried all the various options in the settings menu to no avail.

Client version 1.7.1. Exoplayer version 2.12.3
A few quick questions:

1. Are you using the FFmpeg transcoder in OpenDCT? Sage and ExoPlayer do not seem to like the raw output from HDHomeRun. (opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl)
2. Is there any possibility that your playback is being transcoded by SageTV?

I am using ExoPlayer as my primary video player on Shield TV, FireStick 4k, FireStick 2nd Gen and 2 different Sony TV's with decent playback performance.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

If you like the work I am doing and would like to support it you can become a Patreon member.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtallan View Post
The imported videos which caused a problem I now notice were avi format, which I guess have to be transcoded. Is that something which would be fixed by substituting the custom sage.jar file in the first post? And if so, do I also have to select "fixed HD transcoding", or is this something negotiated between the client and sagetv. I couldn't quite understand from reading the thread...
Yes. You also need to switch to using fixed transcoding in the client settings. This gives you the ability to set how you want content transcoded. You can also set it to only transcode unsupported content.

The new Sage.jar adds additional settings/formats to SageTV for transcoding of media. Specifically HD resolutions. I would recommend updating to that Sage.jar until there is a new release of SageTV. All of the changes in that jar are in SageTV already, there just has not been a release in a long time. I will probably continue to release new Sage.jars as I continue to fix issues and add new features for the Android Client.

I would also recommend you think about using my SageTVTranscoder plugin. This uses an up to date FFmpeg base. It supports many newer codecs, and probably performs a little better.
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 03-09-2021, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
A few quick questions:

1. Are you using the FFmpeg transcoder in OpenDCT? Sage and ExoPlayer do not seem to like the raw output from HDHomeRun. (opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl)
2. Is there any possibility that your playback is being transcoded by SageTV?

I am using ExoPlayer as my primary video player on Shield TV, FireStick 4k, FireStick 2nd Gen and 2 different Sony TV's with decent playback performance.
1. I didn't know it had a transcoder. Got a link on how to set that up? It won't run my cpu @ 100% constantly, will it?
2. Not sure... I don't think so. I'll check next time I'm watching.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
1. I didn't know it had a transcoder. Got a link on how to set that up? It won't run my cpu @ 100% constantly, will it?
2. Not sure... I don't think so. I'll check next time I'm watching.
If setup properly OpenDCT can perform a remux on the files in realtime with very little CPU usage. This corrects errors in the stream, which helps with playback. I am not 100% sure about the config, but here is my best guess on the proper changes.

1. Stop SageTV OpenDCT services
2. Edit OpenDCT properties in C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\config
3. Make sure the following settings are set

consumer.dynamic.default=opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl
consumer.ffmpeg.fix_stream=true
sagetv.device.[FOR_EACH_TUNER].consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl

4. Start the service again.

Hopefully if I am wrong someone with chime in .

Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 03-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If setup properly OpenDCT can perform a remux on the files in realtime with very little CPU usage. This corrects errors in the stream, which helps with playback. I am not 100% sure about the config, but here is my best guess on the proper changes.

1. Stop SageTV OpenDCT services
2. Edit OpenDCT properties in C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\config
3. Make sure the following settings are set

consumer.ffmpeg.fix_stream=true
sagetv.device.[FOR_EACH_TUNER].consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl

4. Start the service again.

Hopefully if I am wrong someone with chime in .

Josh

Welp, looks like all of those settings are already in use, lol. I guess I set it up ages ago and completely forgot!

Edit to add:
Looks like I didn't have any profile set up, so it might not have been transcoding anything. I set it to one of the default profiles and now it seems to be gobbling up CPU... Which profile are you using?

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 03-09-2021 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 03-10-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Welp, looks like all of those settings are already in use, lol. I guess I set it up ages ago and completely forgot!

Edit to add:
Looks like I didn't have any profile set up, so it might not have been transcoding anything. I set it to one of the default profiles and now it seems to be gobbling up CPU... Which profile are you using?
I have the profile empty. The important setting is the stream fix setting. That causes it to "Fix" issues in the stream by remuxing it into the container.

I can tell you with certainty you should be able to get this to work. I am using the Shield in my theater thru a receiver, and I am able to get flawless audio. Even atmos. We must be missing something

Thanks,
Josh
JavaFFmpegLibrary
SageTVTranscoder

Old 03-10-2021, 05:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Edit to add:
On linux Change all Instances of ...
opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl

To
opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...&postcount=455

Also make sure all instances of the property below are set to false in sagetv.properties ....

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-10-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:59 PM
Sage Expert

I thought that when a device uses opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl like so:

Code:
sagetv.device.-1919752751.consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl
It was already using FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl because of how the dynamic consumer is defined:

Code:
--John
Old 03-10-2021, 07:31 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
I thought that when a device uses opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl like so:

Code:
sagetv.device.-1919752751.consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl
It was already using FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl because of how the dynamic consumer is defined:

Code:
--John
Not on Linux.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:29 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Not on Linux.
What do you mean? I'm on Linux and I thought all my OpenDCT recordings get run though ffmpeg. In the logs I see:
Code:
FFmpegTranscoder - Initialized FFmpeg transcoder stream output
--John
Old 03-10-2021, 11:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwegas View Post
What do you mean? I'm on Linux and I thought all my OpenDCT recordings get run though ffmpeg. In the logs I see:
Code:
FFmpegTranscoder - Initialized FFmpeg transcoder stream output
--John
My bad you are correct it is docker that you have to change all instances on the tuners.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=13
Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
On linux Change all Instances of ...
opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl

To
opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...&postcount=455

Also make sure all instances of the property below are set to false in sagetv.properties ....

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
I'm on windows so guess that first one doesn't apply. I definitely had the second setting set to true, though. I also have a colossus hauppage card to encode, should I use that setting for that as well, or just the OpenDCT tuners?

Also, thanks for everyone's help so far.

Quote:
I have the profile empty. The important setting is the stream fix setting. That causes it to "Fix" issues in the stream by remuxing it into the container.

I can tell you with certainty you should be able to get this to work. I am using the Shield in my theater thru a receiver, and I am able to get flawless audio. Even atmos. We must be missing something

Thanks,
Josh
I started to wonder if it was some odd thing with my receiver or something so I fiddled around with only sending audio through the tv and playing with various settings in the Shield and TV as well, but nothing moved anything. So far, no changes in recording issues... Also, whatever is wrong is wrong at the source. I just loaded up the app on my phone and getting the exact same audio issues.

Last edited by DarkWolf77; 03-11-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

If you are using OPENDCT ... I would change this setting on all to encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-11-2021 at 08:04 AM.