SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Thank you! Amazon uses a 1280x720 file for the icon. I could not find a large enough SageTV logo for it, so I spent a few hours looking for a font that was similar. Found one of Googles fonts that was very similar. Only minor differences. I did my best to recreate it in a larger size. Glad that you like it!

Josh
I guess they need that for larger screen TV’s, higher resolution?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson

Last edited by tvmaster2; 07-24-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl711 View Post
Good news everyone!

I was able to get the Android Client approved on Amazon App Store! It is now available on Most amazon devices. I had to make a few changes for approval, which I am going add to the next release.

1. When on the login screen for placeshifter when you hit the DPAD select key and the keyboard is not shown, it will open the keyboard. I needed to do this to make the login screen acceptable to them. It does make logging in easier.

2. I removed the property that would go to the home screen when closing the connection. This property produced unexpected behavior in certain situations. This setting was set on by default, and I was worried that just changing the default may not pass if I got the same tester. So to make sure this would pass I removed the option.

If you notice that the icon on the home screen is gray or not properly displaying you can click the options button when the icon is selected and remove it from the recently used apps list. The next time you launch the app it will re add the icon properly.

Thanks,
Josh
THANK YOU!!!!

I've been able to get the client installed on a Shield previously, but always struggled to get it installed on the Firesticks. With your new fork, it went pretty smooth. The keyboard is still not perfect (I don't think the delete or clear buttons work as expected and pressing the "Automatically Log-in" option brings up the keyboard again - I just hit the "space bar" button to select the option and close out the keyboard), but at least it works well enough to get it up and running.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 07-29-2020, 05:44 PM
Sage Icon

so, maybe I missed this... any idea why the APK shows up just fine on my phone in the PlayStore but doesn't on my Sony Android TV?
Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phelme View Post
so, maybe I missed this... any idea why the APK shows up just fine on my phone in the PlayStore but doesn't on my Sony Android TV?
I was able to install it from the Play Store onto my 2015 Sony TV. If you go to the web browser based app store on a computer, and try to install from there it will tell you if it is not compatible for some reason.

Anyone else having this issue?

Thank,
Josh
Old 07-30-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Really enjoying this new branch on a Fire TV Stick 4K, but I do have some issues: Live TV works great with the default settings, but I find I have to disable Exoplayer and hardware decoders to watch Recordings; otherwise the video is either choppy (with Exoplayer) or audio-only (without Exoplayer but with hardware decoders).

Anyone find the "perfect" settings for a Fire TV Stick 4K yet?

In any case, it is quite usable as-is. Thanks so much for creating this, jvl711.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyth View Post
Really enjoying this new branch on a Fire TV Stick 4K, but I do have some issues: Live TV works great with the default settings, but I find I have to disable Exoplayer and hardware decoders to watch Recordings; otherwise the video is either choppy (with Exoplayer) or audio-only (without Exoplayer but with hardware decoders).

Anyone find the "perfect" settings for a Fire TV Stick 4K yet?

In any case, it is quite usable as-is. Thanks so much for creating this, jvl711.
My Firetv 4K Settings

EXOPLAYER YES
EXOPLAYER FFMPEG Audio Extension ... Preferred Always use if possible.

Also make sure you are using OPENDCT with HDHomerRun unit.

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-30-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
My Firetv 4K Settings

EXOPLAYER YES
EXOPLAYER FFMPEG Audio Extension ... Preferred Always use if possible.

Also make sure you are using OPENDCT with HDHomerRun unit.
Thanks for this. I am using HDHomeRun tuners, but for OTA only (no cable for me!). Does OPENDCT help/work with OTA recordings?
Old 07-30-2020, 01:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for this. I am using HDHomeRun tuners, but for OTA only (no cable for me!). Does OPENDCT help/work with OTA recordings?
If not using OPENDCT you will have problems OPENDCT works with CONNECT OTA tuners ....

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...&postcount=135
Old 07-30-2020, 04:22 PM
Sage Expert

Randy,
The link nyplayer posted as all the details.

Quick summary:
  • Sage talking to HDHR devices directly stores the recordings in an MPEG-PS container.
  • The exoplayer in the Android miniclient doesn't play MPEG-PS containers well (tested on Shield and FireStick 4k).
  • If existing recordings using MPEG-PS containers are remuxed into MPEG-TS containers they work fine on HD300 extenders, Shield, and FireStick 4k. This conversion is very fast because it's not re-encoding the video/audio, just changing the container format.
  • If you use OpenDCT to talk to the HDHR device I believe the default is to save in MPEG-TS, which plays well on those three players.

--John

P.S. If you re-encode existing recordings from MPEG-PS -> MPEG-TS containers, I found you have to do a full rescan of all your media by stopping Sage, backing up Sage.properties, adding "force_full_content_reindex=true" to Sage.properties, and restarting. Note this can take a while if you have a lot of recordings, so don't do it right before you expect something to record.

Last edited by jpwegas; 07-30-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage User

Well, I appear to have successfully installed OpenDCT and switched to it by adding the new OpenDCT tuners and deleting my old ones in SageTV's Setup->Setup Video Sources. I can now use a browser (IP address of host machine at port 9091) to see what OpenDCT is up to and it accurately reflects what I'm watching or recording in SageTV. FYI, both the SageTV server (stuckless/sagetv-build) and OpenDCT (CraziFuzzy/opendct-docker) are running on a QNAP NAS as Docker containers.

However, I can't say anything is better. I have the same issues, except that I now can't use Exoplayer to watch live TV -- I get a very long error message that doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read. The first part of the error reads something like this: "Exo2MediaPlayer - com.google.Android.exoplayer2.source. UnrecognizedInputFormatException. None of the available extractors..."

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but cant' figure out what.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Well, I appear to have successfully installed OpenDCT and switched to it by adding the new OpenDCT tuners and deleting my old ones in SageTV's Setup->Setup Video Sources. I can now use a browser (IP address of host machine at port 9091) to see what OpenDCT is up to and it accurately reflects what I'm watching or recording in SageTV. FYI, both the SageTV server (stuckless/sagetv-build) and OpenDCT (CraziFuzzy/opendct-docker) are running on a QNAP NAS as Docker containers.

However, I can't say anything is better. I have the same issues, except that I now can't use Exoplayer to watch live TV -- I get a very long error message that doesn't stay on the screen long enough for me to read. The first part of the error reads something like this: "Exo2MediaPlayer - com.google.Android.exoplayer2.source. UnrecognizedInputFormatException. None of the available extractors..."

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but cant' figure out what.
If you are still creating mpg files make sure in the sage.properties file that all occurrences of the properties below are all set to false.... Shutdown SageTV first.

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true
to
encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false

Last edited by nyplayer; 07-30-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:25 PM
Sage Aficionado

There might be one thing that was not specifically mentioned yet - in order to get the Android clients to play the OTA HDHR tuner stream (in .ts file) - it has to be "cleaned up" by OpenDCT by remuxing through ffmpeg (but not transcoding) - so there may be some settings in OpenDCT that you need to change. You need to stop the SageTV service, then stop the OpenDCT service before changing the file - then re-start OpenDCT, then the SageTV service.

below is part of my opendct.properties file:

consumer.dynamic.channels.ffmpeg=
consumer.dynamic.channels.media_server=
consumer.dynamic.channels.raw=
consumer.dynamic.default=opendct.consumer.FFmpegTransSageTVConsumerImpl
consumer.ffmpeg.ccextractor_all_streams=true
consumer.ffmpeg.ccextractor_custom_options=
consumer.ffmpeg.ccextractor_enabled=false
consumer.ffmpeg.circular_buffer_size=7864320
consumer.ffmpeg.enhanced_logging=true
consumer.ffmpeg.fix_stream=true
consumer.ffmpeg.limit_logging=true
consumer.ffmpeg.linux_logging=true
consumer.ffmpeg.log_stream_details_for_all_programs=false
consumer.ffmpeg.max_analyze_duration=5000000
consumer.ffmpeg.min_analyze_duration=165440
consumer.ffmpeg.min_probe_size=165440
consumer.ffmpeg.min_upload_id_transfer_size=65536
consumer.ffmpeg.no_program_timeout_ms=10000
consumer.ffmpeg.rw_buffer_size=65536
consumer.ffmpeg.thread_priority=9
consumer.ffmpeg.thread_rename_logging=false
consumer.ffmpeg.transcode_limit=6
consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_enabled=true
consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_port=7818
consumer.ffmpeg.use_compat_timebase=false

...(below is the entry for one of the HDHR quatro tuners)...

sagetv.device.-1474962137.always_force_external_unlock=false
sagetv.device.-1474962137.consumer=opendct.consumer.DynamicConsumerImpl
sagetv.device.-1474962137.delay_to_wait_after_tuning=0
sagetv.device.-1474962137.device_name=HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US Tuner 10703FE9-3
sagetv.device.-1474962137.encoder_listen_port=9000
sagetv.device.-1474962137.encoder_merit=0
sagetv.device.-1474962137.encoder_pool=atsc_10703fe9
sagetv.device.-1474962137.exclusive_server_address=
sagetv.device.-1474962137.fast_network_encoder_switch=true
sagetv.device.-1474962137.last_channel=18-21-1
sagetv.device.-1474962137.transcode_profile=
Old 07-30-2020, 09:45 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
If you are still creating mpg files make sure in the sage.properties file that all occurrences of the properties below are all set to false.... Shutdown SageTV first.

encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=true
to
encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream=false
I asked Narflex about this setting a few weeks ago:

Quote:
Now sure if this is a bug or "as intended":

Sage.properties has a setting encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream

I thought setting this to false would generate MPEG-TS files instead of MPEG-PS files.

However, when testing, I shut down Sage, changed all the occurrences of encode_digital_tv_as_program_stream from true to false, restarted, and recorded something from my HDHR Quatro, which Sage records from directly (not using OpenDCT or another network encoder).

The result was a file with a .ts file extension, but ffprobe reports the file is actually MPEG-PS ("input" shown as "mpeg", whereas MPEG-TS containers would show the "input" as "mpegts"):

Code:
Input #0, mpeg, from 'ShippingWars-NotWithaWhimperbutaBang-60182708-0.ts':
  Duration: 00:07:07.32, start: 1.069356, bitrate: 2214 kb/s
    Stream #0:0[0x80]: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp, 192 kb/s
    Stream #0:1[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg2video (Main), yuv420p(tv), 704x480 [SAR 40:33 DAR 16:9], Closed Captions, max. 4874 kb/s, 29.97 fps, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 59.94 tbc
mediainfo also confirms it's actually MPEG-PS:

Code:
Complete name                : ShippingWars-NotWithaWhimperbutaBang-60182708-0.ts
Format                       : MPEG-PS
File size                    : 227 MiB
So when this setting is false it doesn't seem to actually create recordings as MPEG-TS containers.
His reply:

Quote:
This setting used to work a long time ago, but then things got changed at one point and I know we never fixed it so it works properly. So this doesn't surprise me.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecore View Post
There might be one thing that was not specifically mentioned yet - in order to get the Android clients to play the OTA HDHR tuner stream (in .ts file) - it has to be "cleaned up" by OpenDCT by remuxing through ffmpeg (but not transcoding) - so there may be some settings in OpenDCT that you need to change. You need to stop the SageTV service, then stop the OpenDCT service before changing the file - then re-start OpenDCT, then the SageTV service.
Telecore,
Thanks for mentioning this, I had mistakenly assumed it was the default behavior.

--John
Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 AM
Sage Icon

This works well on a FireTV 4k. I have also installed it on a older Firestick (previous generation - no voice remote). There are a few quirks, but it does work.

Here are the quirks:
- I seem to have to log in every time the app starts. This is true even after selecting the "automatically login" option. I don't have this issue on the FireTV model (it does log in automatically).
- It's a little slow to get a usable picture when initially starting playback. By slow I mean it takes about 2-3 seconds before the image and the sound are normal. On the 4k device, things are stable instantly.

The log in issue is annoying enough to stay away from the older devices (unless this can be fixed somehow). I just wanted to note that it does work however.

I've just ordered a Firestick 4k to try it out on. It's too good a deal to pass up on right now with the $25 off coupon (4KFIRETV) bringing the price down to just $25.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 07-31-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

What version number is this you’re talking about, sic0048?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 PM
Sage Advanced User

is it possible to add touch scrolling to the ui and things like swipe to go back or is it too late for that?
scrolling through lists still requires using the scrollbar like a desktop application
Old 07-31-2020, 05:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
is it possible to add touch scrolling to the ui and things like swipe to go back or is it too late for that?
scrolling through lists still requires using the scrollbar like a desktop application
You can change the touch scroll mappings etc ... in settings.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

i see the swiping, but it doesnt look like you can hold and scroll like a standard app can
Old 07-31-2020, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
i see the swiping, but it doesnt look like you can hold and scroll like a standard app can
Yeah I see what you want I just set Swipe down and up to channel down/page down channel up/page up.