SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
Dont forget those waky brits, who are now completely confused...
  • big distance is still in Miles/mph
  • but fuel is sold in litres (garages have stopped putting the prices in gallons for the most part... prices of £5/gall ($10) would scare people!)
  • But they still use mpg for enconomy, except that it is imperial gallons of course, not us gallons!
  • Short distances (such as buying wood in a hardware store) is in metres/cm
  • weights are in kg (but lb/oz are displayed because nobody above the age of 25 knows what a kg feels like!)
  • Liquid in shops (water, coke etc) is sold in litres, but you still ask for a pint in a pub (can't remember whether you actually get one, or whether it is actually a half-litre!)
That's interesting. It's not just the US, for once.

It's amazing over here in the US sometimes. We get some people coming here from other countries and they see our speed limit signs and think it's in km/h.... At least, that was the case when I lived in Los Angeles. There's nothing like traffic moving at 110km/h and having one person (in the fast-lane no less) driving at only 70km/h on a high-speed freeway because the sign says 70mph....

A doctor's assistant once asked me how much water I drank before my appointment and I said 1 liter. She asked me "What is that?" They can go to school to work for a doctor, but a well-known measurement system is beyond their level of comprehension? I'd hate to have her in the room when the doctor wants 10cc of something....

If the US goes metric shortly after hell freezes over , people just need to change a little in the way they think. You'll get used to it. The soda industry changed in the 70's/80's over to metric.... It wasn't too much to rethink (you're getting an extra 1.6 oz in the bottle... for a 2 liter vs. a 1/2 gallon)...

Lauren

Last edited by laurenglenn; 10-24-2004 at 12:16 PM.