SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks @JustFred!

I methodically went through each choice.

JRiver Media Center works!

@wnjj, maybe the OP could be updated to include this option for the BDA fix.

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 12-04-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
Thanks @JustFred!

I methodically went through each choice.

JRiver Media Center works!

@wnjj, maybe the OP could be updated to include this option for the BDA fix.
Thanks for the info. Done.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Are codecs also x86 vs x64 dependent?

I'm trying to install an older Cyberpower mpeg-2 codec that was able to display CC directly from mpeg-2 streams.

It looks like this old codec is x86. Does that mean this x64 install won't be able to see it?

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Old 12-06-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm trying to install an older Cyberpower mpeg-2 codec that was able to display CC directly from mpeg-2 streams.

It looks like this old codec is x86. Does that mean this x64 install won't be able to see it?
Correct. The codecs/filters need to match the program “bitness”.
Old 12-08-2020, 04:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Correct. The codecs/filters need to match the program “bitness”.
Thank you. I managed to install a x64 version of the Cyberlink mpeg decoder. Looks like something may have changed since the circa 2009 x86 decoder as embedded CC isn't decoding/displaying as desired. May mess around a bit more, but will probably just run all recordings through ccextractor to make them subtitles.

Last edited by waylo; 12-10-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Cyberlink, not Cyberpower
Old 12-20-2020, 04:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

Summary of my install experience

Hi everyone,

Just to document, summarize and maybe help others who are willing to undertake the install/upgrade to x64. This was the process for my HDHR Prime on Comcast and OTA ATSC, using OpenDCT. The last time I installed SageTV was at least 7-8 years ago.

I followed this longtime FAQ entry for the recordings transfer:
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30697

1. Installed Silicon Dust HDHR software. Ran hdhomerun_setup and scanned channels for both my HDHR Prime and ancient HDHR Dual OTA ATSC. CHANGE BDA Compatability Mode to "JRiver Media Center" if "SageTV" is not listed and you are only installing Sage x64. (If you have installed x86 Sage, SageTV will be listed as an option). Confirmed tuners work with good video signal using the HDHR Viewing software.

2. Installed SageTV x64 server package on the new computer.
  • This installs LAVfilters
  • This installs a v1.8 x64 Java. I initially removed the 1.8 x64 Java and installed an older 1.7 version, in the hopes of continuing to use some old plugins that require it. Unfortunately Java 1.7 prevents the proper download/install of several plugins for some odd reason. I removed it and installed the latest v1.8 Java.
  • I have a USB-UIRT but haven't used it since the days of analog recording, so I did not install the UIRT drivers.
3. Opened SageTV, installed plugins, and configured properties as I remembered. I believe the devs think simply copying over sage.properties is a very bad idea. Compared old .properties and duplicated certain settings into the new .properties file.

4. Decided what directories would be my recording directories. Created UNC share names to those directories (needed for clients to get comskip data).

5. Added those UNC share directories to the Video Recording Directories. Still nothing inside them at this point.

6. Exited SageTV.

7. Copied over all recordings to the UNC share locations.

8. Added advanced_video_file_recovery=true to the .properties file. Copied over the original wiz.bin file.
  • One interesting thing was even without changing the advanced_video_file_recovery flag and without the copied wiz.bin, if you run SageTV and have some recordings in those directories, it may start going through the files and assigning names. I don't know if this works just as well but I didn't like it.
  • I believe recording favorites are saved within wiz.bin, so I wasted time by making new favorites that were overwritten
9. Ran SageTV. It took a little longer to get to the UI as it was searching through all the new recording directories. Confirmed that all recordings looked right.

10. Exited SageTV. Removed advanced_video_file_recovery=true from the .properties file

11. Installed x64 OpenDCT. Ran "OpenDCT Run as Console". CTRL-C on OpenDCT Following Download of Channel Lineups. Ran "OpenDCT Start Service"

12. Ran SageTV and went to Setup Video Sources. Found the DCT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner entries (3) and configured them to my Schedules Direct account. I setup my OTA tuner not using the OpenDCT entry but rather the native SageTV listing. Confirmed I could tune into each type of tuner within SageTV. Interestingly, as I still had my old server running, I could see and use the OpenDCT service running on that machine as my tuner source.

13. Confirmed lineup looked correct, removed excess channels.

14. Stopped OpenDCT service. Duplicated some opendct.properties from the old server. Not sure in this case if you could simply copy over the old one or not. Restarted OpenDCT service. Confirmed again all tuner sources worked.

15. For captions/subtitles:
  • Tried to get a x64 mpeg decoder that would display closed captioning. Was able to install x64 version of Cyberlink's codec, but CC still did not display. Oh well.
  • Decided to set a service, using dirmon2, running ccextractor on all new recordings. Closed captioning can then be displayed as subtitles for all recordings.
16. For commercial cutting:
  • I installed the comskip plugins. As a paid donator to comskip, I replaced the plugin comskip with my donator version. Edited a few parameters. Using the "Commercial Detector" plugin, I set it to cleanup leftover files with multiple extensions, including the .srt subtitle files, when the main video file is deleted.

EDIT: For comparing the .properties files, which can be quite onerous, I recommend using Notepad++ and the compare plugin. So very useful and saves a lot of time.

Last edited by waylo; 12-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:48 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Ran hdhomerun_setup and scanned channels for both my HDHR Prime and ancient HDHR Dual OTA ATSC. MUST CHANGE BDA Compatability Mode to "JRiver Media Center."
For the future benefit of others who find this thread, I'd like to clarify that the preferred selection for "Application" (or BDA Compatibility Mode) is still "SageTv". But if SageTv doesn't appear in the drop-down menu, then go ahead and choose "JRiver Media Center."
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFred View Post
For the future benefit of others who find this thread, I'd like to clarify that the preferred selection for "Application" (or BDA Compatibility Mode) is still "SageTv". But if SageTv doesn't appear in the drop-down menu, then go ahead and choose "JRiver Media Center."
Yes, for sure! I don't think it shows up on the x64 install though? There's some info on the original post about this particular issue.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What exactly is the difference?
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
In broad terms, for some reason, if the BDA compatability is not set properly, Sage x64 doesn't detect and isn't able to display video coming off the tuners. I don't know what happens behind the scenes with these selections.

Sage x86 is less picky about what setting is chosen here, I think.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:39 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Quote:
In broad terms, for some reason, if the BDA compatability is not set properly, Sage x64 doesn't detect and isn't able to display video coming off the tuners.
Correct.

Quote:
I don't know what happens behind the scenes with these selections.
It's not a matter of being "picky". Both Sage-x86 and Sage-x64 expect to talk to the HDHR in exactly the same way. HDHR's BDA compatibility mode must be set correctly to present itself to Sage (both x86 and x64) for accessing the HDHR tuners & the video stream.

Quote:
Yes, for sure! I don't think it shows up on the x64 install though? There's some info on the original post about this particular issue.
The HDHR Setup app simply looks for the presence of the Sage-x86 Service installation, and if found, offers the opportunity to select "SageTv" in the dropdown box. This means that:

a) On a computer that has the Sage-x86 Service installed, HDHR Setup will offer "SageTv", and that's what should be chosen.

b) On a computer that has both Sage-x86 and Sage-x64 Services installed, HDHR Setup will offer "SageTv", and that's what should be chosen.

c) On a computer that ONLY has the Sage-x64 Service installed, HDHR Setup will NOT offer "SageTv". In this case, choose "JRiver Media Center".
System #1: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HDHR-US (1st gen white) tuners. HD-200.
System #2: Win7-64, I7-920, 8 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java 1.8.0_131. Sage v9.1.6.747. ClearQAM: 2x HDHR3-US tuners. HD-200.
System #3: Win7-64, I7-920, 12 GB mem, 4TB HD. Java-64 1.8.0_141. Sage-64 v9.2.1 ATSC: 2x HVR2250; Spectrum Cable via HDPVR & USB-UIRT. 3x HD-200.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Correct.

It's not a matter of being "picky". Both Sage-x86 and Sage-x64 expect to talk to the HDHR in exactly the same way. HDHR's BDA compatibility mode must be set correctly to present itself to Sage (both x86 and x64) for accessing the HDHR tuners & the video stream.

The HDHR Setup app simply looks for the presence of the Sage-x86 Service installation, and if found, offers the opportunity to select "SageTv" in the dropdown box. This means that:

a) On a computer that has the Sage-x86 Service installed, HDHR Setup will offer "SageTv", and that's what should be chosen.

b) On a computer that has both Sage-x86 and Sage-x64 Services installed, HDHR Setup will offer "SageTv", and that's what should be chosen.

c) On a computer that ONLY has the Sage-x64 Service installed, HDHR Setup will NOT offer "SageTv". In this case, choose "JRiver Media Center".
Thanks for that clarification. Edited my long post with more clear info re: this.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:42 PM
Sage Icon

my version seems to be stuck on "9.2.1.919" is there any reason for that?

(even after doing a 9.2.2 "repair")
Old 12-21-2020, 06:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
In broad terms, for some reason, if the BDA compatability is not set properly, Sage x64 doesn't detect and isn't able to display video coming off the tuners. I don't know what happens behind the scenes with these selections.

What's the difference between selecting "SageTV" or "Jriver ... "?
Old 12-21-2020, 07:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
What's the difference between selecting "SageTV" or "Jriver ... "?
SageTV is what you should pick but is only presented if HDHR detects an install of 32-bit SageTV. Jriver has been reported to work fine if you only install 64-bit. Functionally there likely isn’t any difference.
Old 12-23-2020, 05:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
SageTV is what you should pick but is only presented if HDHR detects an install of 32-bit SageTV. Jriver has been reported to work fine if you only install 64-bit. Functionally there likely isn’t any difference.
Thank you.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Bintray Sunset - May, 2021

Is the Windows Installer and Source Code still hosted on Bintray? I received an email from JFrog today stating that Bintray was being discontinued in May 2021. Is there an alternative for hosting the Source Code and Executable download?

Last edited by Carlton Bale; 02-05-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage Aficionado

I deleted the email because I couldn't remember what bintray was for. Do we need to migrate the sage code? Do we need help with that? I familiar enough with Git to help with this, even if I don't have time to write real code anymore.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:04 PM
Sage Icon

The installer binaries are hosted on Bintray but the source code is all on GitHub (https://github.com/google/sagetv). The binaries will need to move. Github can host binary objects and the previous Windows installer developer was working on using it as a backup for at least the Windows version. Though I took over for the most recent Windows installer build, my experience with building the storage infrastructure is limited. I'm looking in to what needs to happen for at least the Windows side.

The Linux builds are completely automated when tagged versions are committed so some scripts will need reworked there. It seems they also used to release automatically to GitHub a few years ago but haven't for some time, likely due to a permission issue. https://github.com/google/sagetv/releases
Old 02-10-2021, 08:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
The installer binaries are hosted on Bintray but the source code is all on GitHub (https://github.com/google/sagetv). The binaries will need to move. Github can host binary objects and the previous Windows installer developer was working on using it as a backup for at least the Windows version. Though I took over for the most recent Windows installer build, my experience with building the storage infrastructure is limited. I'm looking in to what needs to happen for at least the Windows side.

The Linux builds are completely automated when tagged versions are committed so some scripts will need reworked there. It seems they also used to release automatically to GitHub a few years ago but haven't for some time, likely due to a permission issue. https://github.com/google/sagetv/releases
The Windows installers are now hosted on GitHub at https://github.com/OpenSageTV/sagetv-windows/releases