SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Wiz.bin corrupt after machine re-build and fresh Win10 install

I recently decided to install SageTV 9.1.8 (upgraded from fresh v7 install) on a fresh Windows 10 Pro install. I attempted to copy my old 9.1.7 Wiz.bin from the old WHS 2011 install and found that it didn't work on the new Win10 install with 9.1.8. I believe that since the Wiz.bin came from an older version of v9, the new version was unhappy and caused the Wiz.bin to become corrupt.

Fortunately I still had my old WHS 2011 OS on a cloned drive and simply booted that OS, upgraded from 9.1.7 to 9.1.8 and then copied the resulting Wiz.bin to the new Win10 9.1.8 install with no issues.

Over Thanksgiving weeekend I upgraded my system from WHS 2011 to Windows 10 Pro. The main reason was that Crashplan has decided to discontinue their general consumer cloud service and I wanted to move to Backblaze. Only problem is Backblaze wanted me to pay for an enterprise level of service since I was using WHS 2011... Plus client backup stopped working for me on WHS and there really wasn't any reason to keep using it.

I run this machine for SageTV, Blue Iris and as a general file server with Drivepool for duplication.

Other than that not so small problem with the Wiz.bin, everything went very smoothly. My drivepool moved without incident and I'm now backing up to the cloud with Backblaze. Since I was starting with a fresh OS I decided to update to the latest OpenDCT, HDHomerun Driver, 32 bit Java 1.8, and Comskip Donator version. All smooth sailing.

Not sure if this is a known issue, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone is headed down this same path.

-uberpixel
Old 11-30-2017, 09:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberpixel View Post
I recently decided to install SageTV 9.1.8 (upgraded from fresh v7 install) on a fresh Windows 10 Pro install. I attempted to copy my old 9.1.7 Wiz.bin from the old WHS 2011 install and found that it didn't work on the new Win10 install with 9.1.8. I believe that since the Wiz.bin came from an older version of v9, the new version was unhappy and caused the Wiz.bin to become corrupt.

Fortunately I still had my old WHS 2011 OS on a cloned drive and simply booted that OS, upgraded from 9.1.7 to 9.1.8 and then copied the resulting Wiz.bin to the new Win10 9.1.8 install with no issues.

Over Thanksgiving weeekend I upgraded my system from WHS 2011 to Windows 10 Pro. The main reason was that Crashplan has decided to discontinue their general consumer cloud service and I wanted to move to Backblaze. Only problem is Backblaze wanted me to pay for an enterprise level of service since I was using WHS 2011... Plus client backup stopped working for me on WHS and there really wasn't any reason to keep using it.

I run this machine for SageTV, Blue Iris and as a general file server with Drivepool for duplication.

Other than that not so small problem with the Wiz.bin, everything went very smoothly. My drivepool moved without incident and I'm now backing up to the cloud with Backblaze. Since I was starting with a fresh OS I decided to update to the latest OpenDCT, HDHomerun Driver, 32 bit Java 1.8, and Comskip Donator version. All smooth sailing.

Not sure if this is a known issue, but I wanted to mention it in case anyone is headed down this same path.

-uberpixel
I have to think this was coincident and not related to 9.1.7 to 9.1.8 upgrade as no database changes were made.

I am glad it worked out in the end.

k
Old 11-30-2017, 11:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
I have to think this was coincident and not related to 9.1.7 to 9.1.8 upgrade as no database changes were made.

I am glad it worked out in the end.

k
Okay - I thought that the Wiz.bin move was typically pretty robust so it surprised me when it went corrupt. I tried copying it a couple of times to confirm and it would mark it corrupt and start fresh each time.

I recognize that I added enough variables to the process that it's possible something else caused the issue but the fact that it worked after I upgraded my WHS 2011 to 9.1.8 and then copied that Wiz.bin to the Win10 9.18 install had me somewhat convinced that it wasn't just coincidence.

-uberpixel
Old 11-30-2017, 11:51 PM
Sage Icon

Any version can read any older version of wiz.bin just fine so that wasn't what caused the corruption. It also hasn't changed format in over a year. Something else went funny there. Did you start up and the shut down the V9 install before copying the wiz.bin into it? Was the system you copied it from actively running SageTV? Wiz.bin gets written a lot when it's running.

Regardless, it's always been a good idea to have regular backups of wiz.bin. Mine gets backed up weekly.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM
Sage Expert

Is the current installer supposed to be able to identify an existing Windows SageTV installation and its current folder?

I last installed 9.1.5 over top of 7.x in the summer and it went without a hitch, but I can't remember if I had to point it at the existing folder.

I just launched 9.1.8 installer (Windows 7) and it wanted to install to Program Files x86. I pointed it to the correct folder on the root of the drive and it went through its install without a hiccup.

After relaunching SageTV however, the current version in System Information is still reported as 9.1.5.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:49 AM
Sage Icon

No, the current installer makes no attempt to locate a previous installation. It will install to the default location unless you specify a custom location.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Is the current installer supposed to be able to identify an existing Windows SageTV installation and its current folder?

I last installed 9.1.5 over top of 7.x in the summer and it went without a hitch, but I can't remember if I had to point it at the existing folder.

I just launched 9.1.8 installer (Windows 7) and it wanted to install to Program Files x86. I pointed it to the correct folder on the root of the drive and it went through its install without a hiccup.

After relaunching SageTV however, the current version in System Information is still reported as 9.1.5.
With Tiki's info above, @TwistedMelon, are you sure you were running the latest executable? Or the old shortcut which would link to the same old version installed?

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 12-31-2017, 09:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylo View Post
With Tiki's info above, @TwistedMelon, are you sure you were running the latest executable? Or the old shortcut which would link to the same old version installed?
I'm positive I was opening the only Sage binary in the install/working folder. Checking the version on that file from Explorer shows 9.1.5.

Installer downloaded from link in the OP bintray: https://bintray.com/opensagetv/saget...rWindows/9.1.8

Running the installer a second (or subsequent) time offers to repair or uninstall. Repair takes only a second and seems to make no difference.

As far as I can tell, the 9.1.8 installer hasn't done anything to any file - it's updated the registry because it knows it was previously run, but I can't find any evidence of any file updates anywhere.

EDIT:

I just ran again and chose UNINSTALL. When complete, nothing had changed, I still had al my files and shortcuts. Re-ran the installer again and this time the 9.1.5 files were overwritten with 9.1.8

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 12-31-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Try running the file as administrator, make sure your sage tv service is stopped. I've had issues with the install and these 2 steps seem to fix it.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage User

Trying a new install in a Windows 10 Pro and running into some trouble. During the install I can see the followings -

Unable to register the following:
STVEVRPrstr.dll
Mpeg2Dump.ax
MpegAudioEncoder2.ax
MpegDemux.ax
MpegMux.ax
MusicVisFilter.ax
SageTVFileSRC.ax
StrmDeMux.ax
TSSplitter.ax

Reading this thread convinced me to press ignore thinking that these were not fatal errors because of the loss of decoders in Windows 10; however, when I try to start SageTV I get the following error:

"The application was unable to start correctly"

I tried repairing the install. Any ideas on how I should proceed?
Old 04-07-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylc View Post
Trying a new install in a Windows 10 Pro and running into some trouble. During the install I can see the followings -

Unable to register the following:
STVEVRPrstr.dll
Mpeg2Dump.ax
MpegAudioEncoder2.ax
MpegDemux.ax
MpegMux.ax
MusicVisFilter.ax
SageTVFileSRC.ax
StrmDeMux.ax
TSSplitter.ax

Reading this thread convinced me to press ignore thinking that these were not fatal errors because of the loss of decoders in Windows 10; however, when I try to start SageTV I get the following error:

"The application was unable to start correctly"

I tried repairing the install. Any ideas on how I should proceed?
When you ran the installer did you just double-click it, or did you right-click and choose “run as administrator “? Many programs fail to install correctly if you don’t choose to run as administrator (even if you are logged in with an administrator account already).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the idea. I ran as an admin but had the same result and then I noticed that the MS c++ 2015 runtime wasn't installed. Did that manually and then Sage started normally.: clap:
Old 05-18-2018, 07:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Windows installer for 9.1.9 available now

Downloads now available....check my signature below.....
Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Downloads now available....check my signature below.....
Thanks. What are the updates / differences, etc.?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-19-2018, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

Here's a link directly to the change-log;

https://github.com/google/sagetv/blo...r/CHANGELOG.md
Old 05-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

This is the file modification time issue that was fixed.

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65445
Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
I'm positive I was opening the only Sage binary in the install/working folder. Checking the version on that file from Explorer shows 9.1.5.

Installer downloaded from link in the OP bintray: https://bintray.com/opensagetv/saget...rWindows/9.1.8

Running the installer a second (or subsequent) time offers to repair or uninstall. Repair takes only a second and seems to make no difference.

As far as I can tell, the 9.1.8 installer hasn't done anything to any file - it's updated the registry because it knows it was previously run, but I can't find any evidence of any file updates anywhere.

EDIT:

I just ran again and chose UNINSTALL. When complete, nothing had changed, I still had al my files and shortcuts. Re-ran the installer again and this time the 9.1.5 files were overwritten with 9.1.8
I mentioned this a while ago.
running the install over an existing install doesn't do anything
Old 05-21-2018, 05:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
I mentioned this a while ago.
running the install over an existing install doesn't do anything
What previous version were you using?

Also check the folder location of the previous and new version as the installer does not "find" your previous version... if you dont use the default location then you need to change it also on an upgrade.

k
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

default location

ive upgraded every version from the previous version; none of them installs the new files at all unless you uninstall the existing version first
Old 06-01-2018, 04:23 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
default location

ive upgraded every version from the previous version; none of them installs the new files at all unless you uninstall the existing version first
What OS version? I will try to replicate but with over 800 downloads of the latest version it odd no one else is reporting this.

k