SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Information & Announcements > SageTV Downloads & Instructions
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Downloads & Instructions This forum is for discussions containing Downloads and Instructions related to the Open Source version of SageTV. Please do not post questions in this forum.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have gone through this thread prepping for a clean install of V9 on Windows 7 64bit. There are a few things that I am not clear on.

There have been some posts on the folder path, I think maybe more related to adjusting for old versions of SageTV. Jusjoken's 7\10 post shows a graphic with the path of "Program Files (x86)\SageTV" which I believe to be the 32 bit folder for a 64 bit OS. I thought the new V9 was a 64 bit app and the path should be "Program Files\SageTV" What is the proper (default) path for a 64bit OS?

The first post on the thread, which I assume gets updated with new releases, indicates Java 1.7.79 and does not specify 32 or 64 bit. If I recall correctly for Sage V7 this was a 32 bit version. I also note that some of the later posts in this thread refer to post 8.20 versions of Java. So, which do I want (32 or 64, 7 or 8)?

Is my old V7 license key good for anything at this point?

I make an XML file for Kodi using ZAP2XML. Is there any way to use this as opposed to SD. If it's not straight forward, it's not worth the pain for $25/yr. I want seamless like before.
SD HDHR3-CC w/ RCN Cable FW:20161116
SD HDHR-US (OTA) FW:20150615
Firestick-Lite with Android Mini-Client
Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
I have gone through this thread prepping for a clean install of V9 on Windows 7 64bit. There are a few things that I am not clear on.

There have been some posts on the folder path, I think maybe more related to adjusting for old versions of SageTV. Jusjoken's 7\10 post shows a graphic with the path of "Program Files (x86)\SageTV" which I believe to be the 32 bit folder for a 64 bit OS. I thought the new V9 was a 64 bit app and the path should be "Program Files\SageTV" What is the proper (default) path for a 64bit OS?

The first post on the thread, which I assume gets updated with new releases, indicates Java 1.7.79 and does not specify 32 or 64 bit. If I recall correctly for Sage V7 this was a 32 bit version. I also note that some of the later posts in this thread refer to post 8.20 versions of Java. So, which do I want (32 or 64, 7 or 8)?

Is my old V7 license key good for anything at this point?

I make an XML file for Kodi using ZAP2XML. Is there any way to use this as opposed to SD. If it's not straight forward, it's not worth the pain for $25/yr. I want seamless like before.
SageTV is a 32-bit application, for which you would normally want to install 32-bit Java. It can cause problems with other Sage elements (i.e. OpenDCT) if you mix 32- and 64-bit versions of the required Sage elements, and forget that you have done so. Personally, I keep my Java up-to-date with the current version, but that's just me.

There is no longer any reason to worry about the V7 SageTV license since it was only needed for the Zap2It EPG. SD seems to work fine for me, but it has problems at times with different programs with the same name...
i5-6600K, 16GB, GeForce GT730 2GB, Win10 Pro 20H2, Java: 64-bit 1.8.0_271, SageTV x64 9.2.2.903
Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

On Windows SageTV 9 is still a 32 bit application and requires the 32 bit version of Java. SageTV9 on Linux is a 64 bit application. Apparently there are too many Windows natives that would require re-work and re-compile to easily achieve moving to 64 bit on Windows.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Line 2609 in Encoder.cpp, part of DShowCapture.dll

For what it's worth, a .ax file is a .dll.

It looks like your filters are failing when connecting the capture device to the splitter. I believe the splitter is TSSplitter.ax in the SageTV folder (or a subfolder). I don't really know how all of this stuff works either but I know that .ax files used by directshow need to be registered, typically by the installer. You can manually register them in case something went wrong there. See http://media.liacs.nl/medialab/docs/lml169.html for an example. Try this on TSSplitter.ax.

There's also a debug tool call Graphedt.exe that may help to sort out filter issues but I've never used it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GraphEdit
Thanks. I wasn't even sure that line 2609 was in the Sage source or coming from the windows drivers.

It seems to make sense that a filter would be the problem, and I remember messing with Graphedit way back for getting my .ts files displaying properly on the pc before I had extenders.

In this case I guess it is filters further up the chain. (On the record side and not the playback side)
I tried adding the TSSplitter.ax with regsvr32, which added successfully (when run as Admin) but didn't fix the problem.

I was going to say it might be a permission problem or another filter needed. I tried a few others in the same folder in case they would help, but no go.
(I think it was StrmDeMux.ax and maybe SateTVFileSrc.ax)

But now that I think of it, the HDHomeRun ouputs mpg files, so I don't think it will use TSSplitter? There may be another one needed, but not sure I should be adding these filters at random as it may really mess up the filter chain and priorities.

Maybe I'll get this figured out and possibly some help to anyone with a similar problem. Otherwise after a break I plan to wrestle with a linux setup again and see if all my tuners work (as I think I may have future problems using Vista).
Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Sage Icon

HDHR sends MPEG2-TS so would use the splitter. The specific line that failed is when trying to connect the capture device to the splitter. I don't know if that means the capture device driver isn't compatible or if the splitter isn't found. GraphEdit should help figure that out.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordyp View Post
SD seems to work fine for me, but it has problems at times with different programs with the same name...
Is this about the same as what you saw with the old guide data or have you found some new problems that we didn't have before?
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

@gorpyp, @ranger, thanks for the clarification

Regarding the key, I read a post, which I believe is applicable to upgrading, that the key allows for the use of some app or codec (not able to find the post) that was not open source.

Indirectly related, as LAV filters are now suggested, not sure if there is any suggestions (post or otherwise) on setup for "Video\Audio" encoders, decoders, etc. for V9. I have always struggled to understand how to evaluate\compare these. It was pretty much go-nogo decisions in the past.

It looks like OpenDCT is getting all the love at this point and that SageDCT has not been updated for a while. Is this the popular direction at this point?
(Thank you bobgvant for your support)
Old 07-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Sage User

I am so close! I started at noon today and am just about finished with my upgrade from 7 to 9 around 3 hours later.

There were a few hangups along the way. A first restart fixed the playback issue (during playback all I got was the spinning wheel)

After configuring the EPG with SD another restart fixed my missing Favorites.

It seemed that "something" changed the remote.ini. Only a few buttons worked on the remote (but the remote worked fine on a media extender) So I found a remote.ini file a backup I had from 2013 and copied it to the Windows directory and after a restart the remote works as it should!

The only hangup I currently have is my recordings view. When I click on the "Videos" button on my Hauppauge 45 button remote it looks like this:

It took me a bit, but I figured out that in the options I could select "standard recordings"

Then it will look like this:

How can I make it look like that all the time?

Oh and one more thing. Should I update the following plugins?

Thank you all!

Ricky
Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz, 6 gigs of RAM, 1 WesternDigital 750 gig hard drive partitioned in 75 gig/675 gig, 1 Seagate 2 TeraByte Hard drive: 1 HDHR Prime-CC, 1 Hauppauge HD-PVR with Hauppauge 45 button remote with blaster to control 1 Explorer 4640HDC, Windows 7 64bit SP1 all updates applied, SageTV 9.1.7.757, Java v1.7.0_79, SageTV Webserver v3.3, SageTV Mobile Web Interface v2.1.0.47, 2 Hauppauge MediaMPVs & 1 Helius MPV.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgode View Post
How can I make it look like that all the time?
Turn off 'malore' menus in recording listings. It's under 'customize' in the options:

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64163
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Sage User

Sage 9:
Wow.... amazing..... better than I could have imagined.
Everything works, went from Windows XP -> Windows 10

Thanks so much to everyone involved!
Long live SageTV!
Clients: HD300

Have hardware like mine and need help? Just PM me
Old 07-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
HDHR sends MPEG2-TS so would use the splitter. The specific line that failed is when trying to connect the capture device to the splitter. I don't know if that means the capture device driver isn't compatible or if the splitter isn't found. GraphEdit should help figure that out.
It turns out the viewer program for the hdhomerun doesn't work on that pc also.
If I go into the hdhomerun setup and click on a channel in the list it will bring up vlc and display the channel properly, but running the viewer application just gives the guide and black screen.

So I was able to uninstall the newer hdhomerun software and install an old version I had from 2013, but same problem now with black screen.

I am guessing something in the sagetv installer messed something up.
I may not have all the windows updates that are needed for some of the new software, but windows update hangs most of the time searching for updates.

I guess I will have to look into getting graphedt working and see if that shows any problems.

Also tried adding lav filters, but that didn't work.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

DirectX

Is there anything special about this requirement or at this point is it just relevant for XP?
  • DirectX 9 (only necessary parts)

Windows 7 and 10 are running Direct X 11, which I assume are backward compatible.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
It turns out the viewer program for the hdhomerun doesn't work on that pc also.
If I go into the hdhomerun setup and click on a channel in the list it will bring up vlc and display the channel properly, but running the viewer application just gives the guide and black screen.

So I was able to uninstall the newer hdhomerun software and install an old version I had from 2013, but same problem now with black screen.

I am guessing something in the sagetv installer messed something up.
I may not have all the windows updates that are needed for some of the new software, but windows update hangs most of the time searching for updates.

I guess I will have to look into getting graphedt working and see if that shows any problems.

Also tried adding lav filters, but that didn't work.
I had a similar problem before with the black screen. Try installing VLC 32-bit version, if you haven't already.

Do you have audio when running the HDHR View program?

Server: SageTV 9.2.6x64 on Win10 x64 Home, i7-2600, 8gb RAM, OpenDCT, Java 1.8, 20TB storage
Display: EVGA GT 1030 fanless to Sony LED TV via DVI-HDMI
Capture Devices: HDHR Prime for Comcast, HDHR Dual for OTA (retired)
Clients: Nvidia Shield Android miniclient
Old 07-22-2017, 05:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
On Windows SageTV 9 is still a 32 bit application and requires the 32 bit version of Java. SageTV9 on Linux is a 64 bit application. Apparently there are too many Windows natives that would require re-work and re-compile to easily achieve moving to 64 bit on Windows.
I started looking at migrating the native parts to 64 bit but had to put it aside due to the intervention of "real life". I hope to pick it up again in the future.

I made some progress and the task is certainly do-able, it's just a matter of time.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Oldsage:
Not sure I have this exactly correct, but at least with the HDHR-CC, I think you do not roll back the firmware, even if you install older software. I recall reading something a couple years back on the SD forum where people were using beta software and wanted to go back to the prior release, but could not.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Sage User

ac3filter

After installing 9.1.5.683 windows installer (win 7 32-bit) over the top of v7.1.9 suddenly ac3filter is getting selected for audio. I previously had ffdshow for audio filter. How do I get my behavior back from before the V9 install?
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateziemann View Post
After installing 9.1.5.683 windows installer (win 7 32-bit) over the top of v7.1.9 suddenly ac3filter is getting selected for audio. I previously had ffdshow for audio filter. How do I get my behavior back from before the V9 install?
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63094
Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Sage Advanced User

Under "Setup=> Help=> View the SageTV PDF Manual" there is no manual.

I realize that the latest is something from 7.x, but I think its worth including if allowed.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV MPEG Decoder

In my new SageTV V9 install I have the "SageTV MPEG Decoder" listed in the "Video\Audio=> MPEG2 Decoder" field. When I go to look at the alternatives, I notice that the "SageTV MPEG Video Decoder" is not listed and there is no "default" set (Radio button ON). The SageTV MPEG Video Decoder also not listed when I choose List All.

I am not clear what this means. The only other option is the "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder".

I assume this mean that the decoder is not installed?

This is a new Windows 7 64-bit Pro install.

Reading post 1 more carefully
  • If you wish to retain Closed Captioning or MPEG2 decoders from your V7 install, please install V9 on top of a V7 install.
This was not feasible for a number of reasons, but the box still exists. Can I export anything from here? I also am interested in getting Close Caption working.

Not really smart enough to know what or why to use one decoder or render over another.

EDIT: Also notice the same situation for the "SageTV MPEG Audio Decoder", not listed and no default set.

Last edited by RangerZ; 08-04-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

Just use the Microsoft one or LAVFilters (https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases). The SageTV one isn't required.
unRAID Server: Intel Core i5 7600K, 48GB DDR4, 2x512GB PCIe M.2 Cache Pool, 2x10TB SATA3 Parity Drive, 3x8TB SATA Array, 1x hdHomeRun DVB-T2 Quattro, IPTV via xTeVe, unRAID 6.8.3, tvHeadEnd for recording back end, Emby
Clients: 3 Nvidia Shields, 3 FireTV, 3 Win10 Pro PC Clients