SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Github Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Github Development Discussion related to SageTV Open Source Development. Use this forum for development topics about the Open Source versions of SageTV, hosted on Github.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
Does removing the need for the Windows SDK 6.1 remove anything on the installer side from the runtimes (2010 C++ runtime perhaps) ?

k
The VS2015 solution should only have a dependency on the 2015 C++ runtime. Without looking into it further I don't know if other pieces being added on top of these components introduce that dependency or not.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanzim View Post
The VS2015 solution should only have a dependency on the 2015 C++ runtime. Without looking into it further I don't know if other pieces being added on top of these components introduce that dependency or not.
The current build will fail without the 2010 runtime. But I have not checked since the first beta installer so perhaps I need to look further and test it out.

k
Old 03-14-2016, 01:20 PM
SageTVaholic

I must have the worst luck in the world with this Installer. I do a clean Install of SageTV 7 make sure the Sagetv MPEG Decoder is working ... I then run this Installer I see my license there everything Installs ok but the darn SageTV Mpeg Decoder is disabled.

Or maybe I am the only one that checks this ... an easy way to check if the decoder is disabled is to try and change hardware acceleration back and forth from yes to no etc... if you can't it is disabled.

It does create this folder... MPEGDecoder

Last edited by nyplayer; 03-14-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
I must have the worst luck in the world with this Installer. I do a clean Install of SageTV 7 make sure the Sagetv MPEG Decoder is working ... I then run this Installer I see my license there everything Installs ok but the darn SageTV Mpeg Decoder is disabled.

Or maybe I am the only one that checks this ... an easy way to check if the decoder is disabled is to try and change hardware acceleration back and forth from yes to no etc... if you can't it is disabled.

It does create this folder... MPEGDecoder
I will run another test but the last time I tried this it worked. I did not test the way you are suggesting... but I did play a test file that has CC and it worked.

Are you using the recent 1.000RC installer?

You mention that you "see the license" ... do you mean you enter it during the install or you already have the entry in the Environment Variable.... and if so, do you have any other v9 type tweaks before installing v9 so I can try to replicate the issue.

k
Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I will run another test but the last time I tried this it worked. I did not test the way you are suggesting... but I did play a test file that has CC and it worked.

Are you using the recent 1.000RC installer?

You mention that you "see the license" ... do you mean you enter it during the install or you already have the entry in the Environment Variable.... and if so, do you have any other v9 type tweaks before installing v9 so I can try to replicate the issue.

k
Yes the license is in the environment ... Just a clean Install of Sage 7 nothing else... nada no plugins nada. Installer SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
Yes the license is in the environment ... Just a clean Install of Sage 7 nothing else... nada no plugins nada. Installer SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000.
What is the system....windows 10 ?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What is the system....windows 10 ?
Yes
Old 03-16-2016, 09:48 PM
Sage User

I tried to install v9 tonight using the latest windows install file SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000.exe. Before I started I copied the entire SageTV directory to another location on the server. Then I downloaded the file and double clicked on it. The install seemed to go fine and I got a screen that said the installation was successful. I assume v9 was installed over v7.1.9 since all of the dates on the file folders in the SageTV directory were changed to today's date. I copied and pasted in my old license key during the installation.

Unfortunately SageTV did not work at all after the installation. I tried to start the service but it just froze. I tried to run SageTV locally on the server without the service running but it would just hang at the v9 splash screen. And I tried running my HD300 but it said it couldn't find the server.

The only thing I could think of that might be an issue was the fact that I had Java 8 running on my server. So I uninstalled Java 8 and ran repair on the SageTV installation and it installed Java 7. But nothing changed. So I ended up renaming my SageTV directory to SageTVv9 and then I copied my old SageTV directory back. Now everything is back to normal on version 7.

I know it's good to have people test new programs but I'm not sure how much this post will help with development. I know I haven't given you much to go on as to why the installation didn't work. Everybody else seemed to have pretty good luck with the installer.....maybe I missed something obvious. I'm open to any suggestions on something to try to get this working.

Dave
Old 03-17-2016, 06:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoell View Post
I tried to install v9 tonight using the latest windows install file SageTVSetup_9.0.4.232_RC1.000.exe. Before I started I copied the entire SageTV directory to another location on the server. Then I downloaded the file and double clicked on it. The install seemed to go fine and I got a screen that said the installation was successful. I assume v9 was installed over v7.1.9 since all of the dates on the file folders in the SageTV directory were changed to today's date. I copied and pasted in my old license key during the installation.

Unfortunately SageTV did not work at all after the installation. I tried to start the service but it just froze. I tried to run SageTV locally on the server without the service running but it would just hang at the v9 splash screen. And I tried running my HD300 but it said it couldn't find the server.

The only thing I could think of that might be an issue was the fact that I had Java 8 running on my server. So I uninstalled Java 8 and ran repair on the SageTV installation and it installed Java 7. But nothing changed. So I ended up renaming my SageTV directory to SageTVv9 and then I copied my old SageTV directory back. Now everything is back to normal on version 7.

I know it's good to have people test new programs but I'm not sure how much this post will help with development. I know I haven't given you much to go on as to why the installation didn't work. Everybody else seemed to have pretty good luck with the installer.....maybe I missed something obvious. I'm open to any suggestions on something to try to get this working.

Dave
By your signature you are running windows 10. As there have been a few issues lately on win 10 I plan to setup a win 10 vm and see if i can replicate the issues.

k
Old 03-17-2016, 01:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

I don't know if this helps but I've done a few of these now.. And I've had success and failure. most I've done have been windows ten. but the one that failed similiar to ddoell's was a windows 7 VM. in all cases I've been able to install v7.19 and then upgrade to V9. So I'm wondering if there is / are some plugins that aren't compatible with V9 that causes it to not start? edit: (why do I always post and immediatly think of something to add/change?) ... Or maybe it's the wiz.bin or some manual tweaks that were done along the way? In any event, installing a 'virgin' 7.19, registering the server key, and loading up what I might call typical plugins, and then going to v9 has always worked.

Typical plugins for me=
GENERAL:
Commercial Dector
Gemstone z API
Jetty Web Server
Media Streaming Services
Network encoder monitor
Phoenix core services
Pushbullet Notifications for sagetv
SageTV mobile web interface
Sagex-services

UI MOD:
ActiveAspectRatios
Commercial detector UI
Complementarty Metadata Tools (CMT) <- Makes properties files for mce buddy to use
Comskip Playback
EPG Back on guide
Gemstone for defualt sageTV 7 (previosly diamond)
Import/export channel lineup
Mini-guide
Phoenix Fanart for SageTV (Jrekiwi)
Remove padding on back to back favorites
Video Out tools for extenders

(and you know about my problems with Gemstone)
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 03-17-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:00 PM
Sage User

Based on ThePaladinTech's reply I deleted all the plugins from my v7 installation and ran the v9 installer again. Everything went fine and I got notice that the installation was successful again. But this time everything works. The service started okay, running SageTV locally on the server worked fine and my HD300 had no problem accessing the server and playing back recordings.

When I deleted the plugins I deleted everything in the plug in library also. I didn't write down what was in the library but these were the plug ins I had on v7 in addition to the ones listed by ThePaladinTech:

GENERAL
Batch Metadata Tools
Queue Importer Settings
Sage Artifact Delete
YouTube Recording Engine

UI MOD
Java Heap Monitor
Multifunction Stop
My TV for Version 7
No Default Action in Main Menu
PlayOn for Sage TV
Recipe (text File) Viewer
Season and Episode # in Details
YouTube (2015)

THEME
Serenity

Evidently one of these plug ins and\or something in the plugin library was causing my problem. I'm going to add some of them back one at a time. If I find one that causes problems I'll let you know.

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

OK Jusjoken - hoping we are helping! ... Based on DDOELL post here are the plugins I am pretty much sure were on machines I had that failed:

Java Heap Monitor
My TV for Version 7
PlayOn for Sage TV
and maybe this one:
Batch Metadata Tools

and the edit: I also know that I couldn't even merely uninstall a sageTV install that didn't work.. i had to uninstall it and then go and delete whatever was leftover in the sageTV directory.
Retired - Hava, MediaMVP, HD-100, HD-PVR, HVR-2250, Ceton InfiniTV4, Original (white) HDHomeRun Died - HD-100, HD-300

Last edited by ThePaladinTech; 03-17-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post
OK Jusjoken - hoping we are helping! ... Based on DDOELL post here are the plugins I am pretty much sure were on machines I had that failed:

Java Heap Monitor
My TV for Version 7
PlayOn for Sage TV
and maybe this one:
Batch Metadata Tools

and the edit: I also know that I couldn't even merely uninstall a sageTV install that didn't work.. i had to uninstall it and then go and delete whatever was leftover in the sageTV directory.
All info helps to track it down.

thanks.
k
Old 03-18-2016, 06:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaladinTech View Post

Java Heap Monitor
My TV for Version 7
PlayOn for Sage TV
and maybe this one:
Batch Metadata Tools
Enabling the PlayOn Plugin will load an older STV revision. I don't know if that would cause a problem with upgrading to Sage 9, but something to keep in mind at least.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:58 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Based on ThePaladinTech's reply I deleted all the plugins from my v7 installation and ran the v9 installer again. Everything went fine and I got notice that the installation was successful again. But this time everything works. The service started okay, running SageTV locally on the server worked fine and my HD300 had no problem accessing the server and playing back recordings.

When I deleted the plugins I deleted everything in the plug in library also. I didn't write down what was in the library but these were the plug ins I had on v7 in addition to the ones listed by ThePaladinTech:

GENERAL
Batch Metadata Tools
Queue Importer Settings
Sage Artifact Delete
YouTube Recording Engine

UI MOD
Java Heap Monitor
Multifunction Stop
My TV for Version 7
No Default Action in Main Menu
PlayOn for Sage TV
Recipe (text File) Viewer
Season and Episode # in Details
YouTube (2015)

THEME
Serenity

Evidently one of these plug ins and\or something in the plugin library was causing my problem. I'm going to add some of them back one at a time. If I find one that causes problems I'll let you know.

Thanks.
To follow up I have finished loading all the above listed plugins. I loaded them one at a time. After loading I closed SageTV, stopped and started the service, restarted SageTV and then navigated around the interface. None of the plugins caused the service to freeze or caused SageTV to hang at the splash screen.

Dave
Old 03-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Sage User

I thought I would make one last comment on my installation of v9. Once I deleted all my plugins and got the v9 service to start and got SageTV to run I noticed one other anomaly. My bluray and dvd rip videos are out of order. I have a little over 100 rips and I usually view them in Videos by DVD/BD in alphabetic order. After the v9 install I noticed that they are scrambled. Now I have two different large groups of titles that are mostly alphabetical and 3 or 4 random titles that are not in either group.

I've looked at some of the metadata for some titles in each group and I can't find any common items that might cause Sage to sort this way. After spending hours trying to fix this I finally just wiped out my old installation of Sage and installed v7.1.9 from scratch. I verified that the videos were all back in one long alphabetical list. Then I installed v9 using the latest installer. As soon as I did this the video list was scrambled again. I ran the repair and there was no change.

As a last resort I started again from scratch and installed v7.1.9. This time I did not use the installer for v9. I followed the instructions on manually installing the v9 exe and jar files. Once again the video list was scrambled.

I'm not sure how many people have installed v9 to date but I see no comments anywhere on the forum about this. So it appears to be unique to me. It also appears to have nothing to do with the installer. I'm not sure it's worth anyone's time to try to troubleshoot. For now I'm going to revert back to v7.1.9 and continue to monitor the forums and see how the development goes.

Thanks to everyone working on this project. Glad to see SageTV moving forward.

Dave
Old 03-19-2016, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I thought I would make one last comment on my installation of v9. Once I deleted all my plugins and got the v9 service to start and got SageTV to run I noticed one other anomaly. My bluray and dvd rip videos are out of order. I have a little over 100 rips and I usually view them in Videos by DVD/BD in alphabetic order. After the v9 install I noticed that they are scrambled. Now I have two different large groups of titles that are mostly alphabetical and 3 or 4 random titles that are not in either group.

I've looked at some of the metadata for some titles in each group and I can't find any common items that might cause Sage to sort this way. After spending hours trying to fix this I finally just wiped out my old installation of Sage and installed v7.1.9 from scratch. I verified that the videos were all back in one long alphabetical list. Then I installed v9 using the latest installer. As soon as I did this the video list was scrambled again. I ran the repair and there was no change.

As a last resort I started again from scratch and installed v7.1.9. This time I did not use the installer for v9. I followed the instructions on manually installing the v9 exe and jar files. Once again the video list was scrambled.

I'm not sure how many people have installed v9 to date but I see no comments anywhere on the forum about this. So it appears to be unique to me. It also appears to have nothing to do with the installer. I'm not sure it's worth anyone's time to try to troubleshoot. For now I'm going to revert back to v7.1.9 and continue to monitor the forums and see how the development goes.

Dave
I suggest you open an issue on the GitHub site for the sort as with the tests you performed it would seem the issue is in the sort on a V9 install where only the Sage.jar has been changed out so likely something in the V9 java code changed and should be reviewed.

Perhaps start a new thread in the Open Source forum as well to see if others have seen this as I seem to recall someone mentioning a sort issue for Videos.

This is where the issues are listed...

k
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I suggest you open an issue on the GitHub site for the sort as with the tests you performed it would seem the issue is in the sort on a V9 install where only the Sage.jar has been changed out so likely something in the V9 java code changed and should be reviewed.

Perhaps start a new thread in the Open Source forum as well to see if others have seen this as I seem to recall someone mentioning a sort issue for Videos.

This is where the issues are listed...

k
Okay. I went ahead and opened an issue on Github. I'll also start a new thread in the Open Source forum when I get a few minutes. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

Dave
Sage v9 comes with an updated STV (XML) file - did you replace that too when you did the manual upgrade?

You didn't say, but I am assuming you are using the default STV (not something else like Gemstone)?

Are you installing any other plugins, or is this just a clean install?

Specifically, which menu are you looking at where the sorting is different between v7 and v9 (there are several sub-menus under videos - "Titles", "DVD/BD", "Folders", etc. and they all sort and filter differently)?
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-19-2016, 03:52 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
Sage v9 comes with an updated STV (XML) file - did you replace that too when you did the manual upgrade?

You didn't say, but I am assuming you are using the default STV (not something else like Gemstone)?

Are you installing any other plugins, or is this just a clean install?

Specifically, which menu are you looking at where the sorting is different between v7 and v9 (there are several sub-menus under videos - "Titles", "DVD/BD", "Folders", etc. and they all sort and filter differently)?
When I did the manual install I followed the instructions in the v9 FAQ by Opus. I installed two exe files, the sage jar, the lucerne jar and the STV xml file.

I was using the default STV in all cases.

When I installed the v9 windows installer the first time I had plug ins installed in v7.1.9 for BMT, CMT and Phoenix fan art. For my subsequesnt installations I did not install any plugins other than the updated STV for v7.1.9 and the updated weather plugin for v7.1.9.

The specific sub-menus that are different between v9 and v7 are the DVD/BD sub-menu and the folders sub-menu.