SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:46 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
Where is the OpenDCT logfile on linux systems? I'm having difficulties getting it to work on my development system. Are there linux instructions someplace?
The logs files on the Linux are under /var/log/opendct

The following link covers most of what you would need to know.
https://github.com/enternoescape/opendct#configuration

This walkthrough points to a much older version of OpenDCT, but still has useful details.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...hlight=opendct
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Clients: 1x HD300 (Living Room), 1x HD200 (Master Bedroom).
Software: OpenDCT :: WMC Live TV Tuner :: Schedules Direct EPG
Old 11-12-2016, 06:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnterNoEscape View Post
The logs files on the Linux are under /var/log/opendct

The following link covers most of what you would need to know.
https://github.com/enternoescape/opendct#configuration

This walkthrough points to a much older version of OpenDCT, but still has useful details.
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/sho...hlight=opendct
I tried that and I'm not getting any video. The tuner shows up but when I try to watch anything I get a blank screen. Log attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendct.zip (3.3 KB, 93 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I tried that and I'm not getting any video. The tuner shows up but when I try to watch anything I get a blank screen. Log attached.
OpenDCT presented the tuners for discovery, but SageTV is not actually talking to OpenDCT since I don't see any evidence of it tuning anything in. What do your SageTV logs look like?
SageTV v9 Server: ASRock Z97 Extreme4, Intel i7-4790K @ 4.4Ghz, 32GB RAM, 6x 3TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 5TB 7200rpm HD, 2x 6TB 7200rpm HD, 4x 256GB SSD, 4x 500GB SSD, unRAID Pro 6.7.2 (Dual Parity + SSD Cache).
Capture: 1x Ceton InfiniTV 4 (ClearQAM), 2x Ceton InfiniTV 6, 1x BM1000-HDMI, 1x BM3500-HDMI.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 11-12-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
OpenDCT presented the tuners for discovery, but SageTV is not actually talking to OpenDCT since I don't see any evidence of it tuning anything in. What do your SageTV logs look like?
See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetv_0.zip (170.8 KB, 98 views)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
See attached.
I believe you have your IP addresses mixed up. The OpenDCT log you posted shows that it's broadcasting from 192.168.1.9 and the SageTV scheduler is using 192.168.1.17. I can see that it is also picking up 192.168.1.9 when it does the network encoder detection, so that should be an option when you select your capture device. I have this same problem since I do so much testing; I have at least 3 different IP addresses for the same device. I would really be nice if there was a way to clean this up without needing to edit the Sage.properties file.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I believe you have your IP addresses mixed up. The OpenDCT log you posted shows that it's broadcasting from 192.168.1.9 and the SageTV scheduler is using 192.168.1.17. I can see that it is also picking up 192.168.1.9 when it does the network encoder detection, so that should be an option when you select your capture device. I have this same problem since I do so much testing; I have at least 3 different IP addresses for the same device. I would really be nice if there was a way to clean this up without needing to edit the Sage.properties file.
.9 is the test server and .17 is my production server. What do I need to do to make the Prime shareable between the two? What do I need to edit in the .properties file?

Old 11-12-2016, 09:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
.9 is the test server and .17 is my production server. What do I need to do to make the Prime shareable between the two? What do I need to edit in the .properties file?
You need to enable upload id so that it will use the media server to write the files out. Changing consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_enabled=false and consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=false to true in opendct.properties should be sufficient.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:03 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
You need to enable upload id so that it will use the media server to write the files out. Changing consumer.ffmpeg.upload_id_enabled=false and consumer.raw.upload_id_enabled=false to true in opendct.properties should be sufficient.
I think I have made a fundamental mistake. I have two copies of OpenDCT running, one on my test (linux) machine and one on my production (windows) machine. Should I only have one? I really don't want to mess with the production machine.

The logs I have posted are from the test machine.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I think I have made a fundamental mistake. I have two copies of OpenDCT running, one on my test (linux) machine and one on my production (windows) machine. Should I only have one? I really don't want to mess with the production machine.

The logs I have posted are from the test machine.
You can have any many copies running as you want. They don't actually talk to each other or anything like that so unless you configure the options to limit the devices that actually get loaded by each copy and they both have access to the same capture devices, you'll see the same capture devices from both installs, just on different IP addresses.

nyplayer created a clever configuration whereby combined with pooling, the production server was configured to be allowed to force unlock the HDHomeRun tuners and the testing system was not allowed. This enabled production to always be able to get a capture device and it would also try to work around the test machine when possible.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Still not working. Both of these properties are false on the test machine. On the production machine the first if false and the second in not present in the .properties file at all. (I'm assuming the default would be false?)

From the test machine I tried using the HDHR prime at both IPs (.9 and .17).

Thanks for all of the help.

Edit: I rebooted the test machine and now it's working! Thanks.

Last edited by tmiranda; 11-13-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Still not working. Both of these properties are false on the test machine. On the production machine the first if false and the second in not present in the .properties file at all. (I'm assuming the default would be false?)

From the test machine I tried using the HDHR prime at both IPs (.9 and .17).

Thanks for all of the help.

Edit: I rebooted the test machine and now it's working! Thanks.
The defaults are false. When you use the media server, it takes care of permissions and recording path issues. The reason it's off by default is because it's an additional load on the SageTV server that usually isn't needed. My own experience has been that if enough recordings are going, the activity can actually mess with responsiveness of the UI. The culprit appeared to be frequent garbage collection.

Old 11-17-2016, 12:05 AM
Sage User

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed

Hello!

First off, kudos for all your hard work creating/maintaining OpenDCT!

I recently upgraded my sage setup to Sage 9.0.9.441 and OpenDCT 0.4.49 (on a Win10 machine with a HDHR Prime and HDHR ATSC) after running Sage 7 and Sage DCT successfully for years.

On to the issue at hand...

I seem to be having an odd error trying to watch certain HDHR Prime channels where I'm getting a 'no signal' message on my HD300. Attached is a opendct.log of an isolated instance of the issue. I've searched for different errors in the log, and only see search results for this error when the channel is copy protected...which I don't think is the case for me (I can view the channel in the HDHomeRun software...and Sage will actually record from the channel sometimes...weird)

Anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-J
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendct.log.zip (9.5 KB, 89 views)
Clients: 5x HD300, HD100 (w/ cap fix).
Old 11-17-2016, 05:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickels View Post
Hello!

First off, kudos for all your hard work creating/maintaining OpenDCT!

I recently upgraded my sage setup to Sage 9.0.9.441 and OpenDCT 0.4.49 (on a Win10 machine with a HDHR Prime and HDHR ATSC) after running Sage 7 and Sage DCT successfully for years.

On to the issue at hand...

I seem to be having an odd error trying to watch certain HDHR Prime channels where I'm getting a 'no signal' message on my HD300. Attached is a opendct.log of an isolated instance of the issue. I've searched for different errors in the log, and only see search results for this error when the channel is copy protected...which I don't think is the case for me (I can view the channel in the HDHomeRun software...and Sage will actually record from the channel sometimes...weird)

Anyone have any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

-J
I don't think you're doing anything wrong. The line INFO FFmpegUtil - program stream index 0 is null is our real problem here. We only see this when the PAT and/or PMT packets are completely missing or they are not being decrypted. If you had held on for just 5 seconds longer, it probably would have started playback anyway. In my mind this is a bug with either the HDHomeRun or the cable provider is doing something odd which is throwing the HDHomeRun off which would still technically be a firmware bug.

This is something I have been looking at cutting the time down on. One of my concerns is that as soon as you throw valid programs out the window, we could end up recording the wrong content if for some reason we have more than one program present in the stream.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Sage User

Quote:
If you had held on for just 5 seconds longer, it probably would have started playback anyway.
Is there any sort of configuration option that allows this delay to be adjusted?

Quote:
throwing the HDHomeRun off which would still technically be a firmware bug.
I'm running version 20161107b of the HDHomeRun software/firmware (after Silicon Dust bricked my unit earlier this month ). I'm not sure downgrading is possible, but is there a firmware version that's known to be better suited? If I were to talk to Silicon Dust about this, any pointers about how to describe it to them?

Thanks again for your help,
-J
Clients: 5x HD300, HD100 (w/ cap fix).
Old 11-17-2016, 10:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Is there any sort of configuration option that allows this delay to be adjusted?
There isn't. FFmpeg internally decides when it has seen enough data to presume the stream has problems and then it creates the program number 0. Unfortunately the amount of data required is fairly high for H.264 streams since they tend to be much lower in bit-rate than their MPEG-2 counterparts. I might have a new version of OpenDCT coming out soonish that addresses this issue, but it still involves waiting a little longer than usual (about 10 seconds) because if we don't, some channels could be missing audio streams.

Quote:
I'm running version 20161107b of the HDHomeRun software/firmware (after Silicon Dust bricked my unit earlier this month ). I'm not sure downgrading is possible, but is there a firmware version that's known to be better suited? If I were to talk to Silicon Dust about this, any pointers about how to describe it to them?

Thanks again for your help,
-J
This issue describes the problem in detail. Essentially the PMT packets don't get decrypted which causes problems. I think I pulled the video from from the link in the first post, but you can get 2 minutes of the problematic stream directly from your Prime if you use the link below.

http://192.168.0.142:5004/tuner1/v764?duration=120

Old 11-18-2016, 10:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

I am trying to install OpenDCT

when I run as console, it progress for a few seconds and then i get to the lines talking about PNP

Here is starts throwing errors "exception in thread "cling-171" Exception in thread "cling-170" java.lang.RuntimeException: Fatal error while executing protocol 'ReceivingSearch' : org.fourthline.clig.transport.RouterException: Router wasn't available exclusively after waiting 6000ms, locak failed: Readlock

but then it proceeds.

Can i ignore these errors? It continues (currently at "removed log file")

System
Windows 7 64bit
java8 update 101 (32bit)
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner CableCARD Receiver
sage 9
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
1tb 3 disk Recording Pool
all in a beautiful Antec 1200
SageMyMovies/Comskip/PlayON/SageDCT/SRE
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 11-18-2016, 11:39 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
I am trying to install OpenDCT

when I run as console, it progress for a few seconds and then i get to the lines talking about PNP

Here is starts throwing errors "exception in thread "cling-171" Exception in thread "cling-170" java.lang.RuntimeException: Fatal error while executing protocol 'ReceivingSearch' : org.fourthline.clig.transport.RouterException: Router wasn't available exclusively after waiting 6000ms, locak failed: Readlock

but then it proceeds.

Can i ignore these errors? It continues (currently at "removed log file")

System
Windows 7 64bit
java8 update 101 (32bit)
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 Dual Tuner CableCARD Receiver
sage 9
That's a very strange error. Do you get this error consistently? If so, can you post wrapper.log and opendct.log so I can get a better idea of what's going on?

It doesn't look like it's going to matter in your case if UPnP is working or not; it's only used for InfiniTV devices. You can move forward and see if anything else is odd, but if that's the only error you actually saw, you're very likely ok.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Sage Fanatic

unfortunately it didnt work. It gets to that "deleting log" and never got any further (waited ten minutes).

Followed the next steps, (crtl c, ran service, etc..) but it doesnt show in sage

i searched my whole computer but couldnt find opendct.log. There is a wrapper.log from when i tried the 64bit a few months ago, but nothing in the current install directory (x86)

anything else i can try/provide?
8tb RAID5 storage/media/other &3tb RAID5 backup storage on a HighPoint RocketRaid 2680
HD100/HD300 extenders
Old 11-18-2016, 06:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptheripper View Post
unfortunately it didnt work. It gets to that "deleting log" and never got any further (waited ten minutes).

Followed the next steps, (crtl c, ran service, etc..) but it doesnt show in sage

i searched my whole computer but couldnt find opendct.log. There is a wrapper.log from when i tried the 64bit a few months ago, but nothing in the current install directory (x86)

anything else i can try/provide?
The logs should be under C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\logs.

My next guess without seeing wrapper.log would be the Java architecture being used by OpenDCT doesn't match the architecture of the version of OpenDCT you installed. OpenDCT will just use whatever version you last installed, so if it was 64-bit Java and you installed 32-bit OpenDCT, it will likely not work.

Edit: Unfortunately JSW isn't smart enough to work around this issue. I recommend removing the version of OpenDCT you installed and installing the other architecture.

Last edited by EnterNoEscape; 11-18-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:39 PM
Sage Fanatic

logs attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip opendct.zip (14.4 KB, 91 views)
HD100/HD300 extenders